Spiderwort, Virginia Spiderwort, Lady's Tears
Tradescantia x andersoniana 'Karminglut'

Family: Commelinaceae (ko-mel-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tradescantia (trad-es-KAN-tee-uh) (Info)
Species: x andersoniana (an-der-soh-nee-AH-na) (Info)
Cultivar: Karminglut
Additional cultivar information:(aka Carmine Glow)

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Chesapeake, Virginia

Walla Walla, Washington

negative

On Mar 17, 2015, alfu from Gainesville, FL wrote:

Yes, it is a very invasive weed. But the flowers are stunningly beautiful and it is edible and nutritious, good in salads. I have been fighting them all last year (by hand; I don't poison my own 'nest'), but now that I know it is edible, I will let it go!

On Aug 9, 2013, Circe33 from Biacesa
Italy wrote:

In Northern Italia these spiderwort manage to hold out during the season of summer drought (the month of August in the southern Alps brings high temperatures and little rainfall), and I believe that the dryness prevents them from being too invasive. If I give them a shower with the watering-can they continue to bloom, an advantage during this time of year. Spiderworts seem to be, in general, not evergreen in our climate but their hardiness is appealing. If they become too ragged a cutback is something they seem to take well and they emerge again without a problem in Spring. Altogether, a "kill proof" perennial which I don't have to fuss over.

On Jul 11, 2013, Winterpeg from Stanley

Could the one growing in NY be less aggressive because it is in a cooler hardiness zone?

On Jun 20, 2013, mensamom from Laurens, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Spiderwort is akin to Cilantro - you either love it or hate it! When we first moved into our home in SC about 15 years ago there was one clump of spiderwort. I liked the color of the blossoms so I left it alone. Bad mistake! It took over that flower bed then traveled into the lawn. When the grass was cut the little buggers spread everywhere. Pulling them up is futile - the roots break off underground and there you go again. Roundup is not effective; I ever tried Roundup for Poison Ivy, no luck. If you love it, fine. But if you don't want it every where, take heed!

On Jun 17, 2013, rustyolebarb from Prattville, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Here in central Alabama, spider worts grow willingly and aggressively! They were already growing on this property when I arrived, so I don't know where they came from.....planted by someone or just "natural".....but they are way too beautiful to cut back. These are my first blooms in early spring and the last ones still beautifully blooming into early frost (September-October-November?). They are inside and outside all my flower beds, scattered throughout the lawn and prolific even in the power line clearings! FREE beauty....God is good all the time! Butterflies and bees and even hummingbirds busily visit these blooms. Spider worts are wonderful in tabletop arrangements, too, as they continually open new blooms each day. I have had them last for two weeks or more in tall flower vases. ... read more

On Jun 17, 2013, Jeanio1111 from Carmel, NY wrote:

It's possible I have a different variety but mine look exactly like one pictured here. But my spiderwort are happily thriving in mostly shade surroundings and they are not evergreen. They are very pretty though, with a great color. Very easy to grow too.