Aloe
Aloe ellenbeckii

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Aloe (AL-oh) (Info)
Species: ellenbeckii (el-len-BEK-ee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Aloe dumetorum

Apache Junction, Arizona

Los Angeles, California

Reseda, California

Spring Valley, California

Vista, California (2 reports)

On Apr 25, 2015, madabouteu from Gadsden, AL wrote:

I have to bring this plant indoors during the winter, but it's worth the trouble - this aloe has colorful leaves, stays small, and is so trouble free that only Aloe vera can match it for ease of care. Very prolific pupper. I have not yet had it bloom for me.

On Aug 30, 2009, Porphyrostachys from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Nice little Aloe that handles the desert heat fine and in the ground seems to do ok with basic frosts. The flowers are a bit unreliable and the rabbits love to eat it.

On Dec 26, 2006, thistlesifter from Vista, CA wrote:

I water this about once a week in well-drained 50% DG/50% pumice organic mix during spring and summer. Once a week during Fall and Winter if it hasn't rained in the last week. Seems to do fine with this schedule. I will hold back watering if it shows no new growth signals.

bob
:>)

On Mar 18, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

low growing suckering aloe with short, stiff, thin spotted leaves with tiny teeth along the margins. Leaves tend to grow straight up in the air. I found this a pretty easy aloe to grow in the garden, southern CAlifornia, but somewhat slow. It also is easy to overwater and cause to rot (found out this several times). Eventually grows into a large, ground-cover-like colony.

Information about this plant states it's a summer to fall bloomer, but here in So Cal it seems to bloom only in the winter

How to tell this plant from Aloe amudatensis is unknown to me... similar flowers, similar leaves, similar blooming habits... hmmm. the latter is from Uganda, while this is from Somalia.

Though it is a bit wimpy in cold, my plants all survived the Jan 0... read more