PlantFiles: English Oak, Truffle Oak, Pedunculate Oak
Quercus robur

Family: Fagaceae (fag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Quercus (KWER-kus) (Info)
Species: robur (ROH-bur) (Info)

Synonym:Quercus pedunculata

over 40 ft. (12 m)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By palmbob

By Gustichock
Thumbnail #7 of Quercus robur by Gustichock

Positive puremagick On Sep 3, 2010, puremagick from Brisbane
Australia wrote:

Grows fairly well in sub tropical Brisbane. Although doesn't live as long as if gown in a cool climate. Have had mine 2 years or so. Loses most leafs in dry season but only goes dormant for a week and starts growing again in late winter. Great tree except seems to be a favourite of leaf miners. Handles our harsh sun well. Even in mid summer when uv can get to uv index 14 - 16 it doesn't get burnt. Amazingly hardy and adaptable. Temperatures here range from 20 - 24c in winter (dry season) and 30c - 35c in summer (wet) although has been fine through extremely hot weather at 44c.

Positive DMersh On Jan 20, 2008, DMersh from Perth
United Kingdom (Zone 7b) wrote:

The Oak is the dominant hardwood tree in Britain, but it needs deep, rich soil to grow to full size. Wood is very hard and strong and was much used for shipbuilding in previous centuries, many of the ancient oak forests in Britain were cut down for this purpose.

Neutral Gustichock On Feb 15, 2006, Gustichock from Tandil
Argentina (Zone 10b) wrote:

I like this tree a lot! I like oaks in general. This one is pretty common here in Argentina. Perhaps because of all the European Immigration we had.
I would like to notice one thing about this tree. Almost every year the leaves get white stains that look like fungus and also a sticky stuff. Does any of you guys have an idea about what it is and how to treat it? I'm asking you, Palmbob! You seem to know a LOT, so... please give me an advise!
Thanks.

Positive lmelling On Oct 27, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

When we built our new home, one of our neighbors - a professor of horticulture, gave us a potted 1 foot tall English Oak. That first winter I still hadn't decided where to put it because it was so small, I was afraid we'd run over it with the mower by mistake, so I took it out of it's pot and stuck it in the remnants of a manure pile to overwinter. By next spring it was showing signs of being extremely happy where I'd put it so I decided to leave it where it was and build a garden for the time being around it. Seven years later it's doing quite nicely and is approximately 12' tall. While it hasn't taken on the wondrous appearance of some of the old oaks I've seen, I'm just happy that it's doing well. I was told that the english oak can have a life span of 600-700 years. It'll sure outlast me, that's for sure!

Positive palmbob On Mar 18, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Massive tree that goes leafless briefly, at least here in Southern California. Has a mound profile from a distance- too large for most private gardens- creates a dark shade. Wood often used for construction.

San Marino, California