PlantFiles: Indian Hawthorn, India Hawthorn
Rhaphiolepis indica 'Clara'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhaphiolepis (raf-ee-oh-LEP-iss) (Info)
Species: indica (IN-dih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Clara

Thumbnail #6 of Rhaphiolepis indica by PalmBchBill

By vossner
Thumbnail #7 of Rhaphiolepis indica by vossner

Neutral vossner On Feb 10, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have several IH shrubs. Rating it neutral because some grow without any trouble and some others are leggy and lose a lot of leaves. I've had to replaced a couple of shrubs for this reason. But I love its rounded shape.

Positive Kachinagirl On Jun 28, 2004, Kachinagirl from Modesto, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

It sounds like they don't like your humidity. Here in California we use Indian Hawthorn in sun or shade. They are a "cast iron" plant that even thrives in low water plantings. Mine are in full sun and have never had any disease of any kind. They don't even seem to mind our 110 degree weeks in summer.

Negative no2u On Jun 26, 2004, no2u from Spring, TX wrote:

Had about 10 of these in a Houston Texas yard for 15 years, next to Red Tip Photinias. Leaf spot fungus spred from the Photinias to the Indian Hawthorns, so I took out the Photinias and treated the Hawthorns with fungicide for several years. Leaf spot continued to pop up periodically so I finally got fed up with them and pulled them all out. Replacing with resistant shrubs like boxwoods or holly which have thrived in the same humid partly-shaded location.

Positive brewood On Jun 18, 2004, brewood from Seagraves, TX wrote:

I planted a row of twenty "Clara" Indian Hawthorns against a fence four years ago. They were very small when I planted them and have done very well. This year I have had some trouble with the leaves turning yellow. I added iron and acid and they are turning back to deep green. I grow these plants in a small town near Lubbock, Texas. It is very hot with lots of days with temperatures of 90 and above. The soil here has very little acid. I believe these plants would do better in a more acidic soil, but that is only my opinion. They seem to tolerate the heat better than I do.

Negative docturf On Mar 31, 2004, docturf from Conway, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

The white-flowered form of Indian Hawthorn is extremely susceptible to leaf spot in this area (coastal South Carolina); I cannot recommend it for that reason. Howver, the pink-flowered form is quite resistant to the same leaf spotting fungus and can serve very nicely as a "foundation" plant.

Positive rayofsunshine On Mar 29, 2004, rayofsunshine from Alachua, FL wrote:

This plant is great. It is very easy to grow. I don't have to do anything to it and it has created a beautiful hedge. I live in N Central Fl and I don't have much luck with a lot of shrubs. The hawthorne is definitely a easy plant for busy people without much gardening skills. Only problem is that bees do like them so they build nest in them. Watch for them while pruning.

Alachua, Florida
Lecanto, Florida
Saint Petersburg, Florida
West Palm Beach, Florida
Morrow, Georgia
Leakesville, Mississippi
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Summerville, South Carolina (2 reports)
College Station, Texas