Coral Tree, Bucayo
Erythrina fusca

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Erythrina (er-ith-RY-nuh) (Info)
Species: fusca (FUS-kuh) (Info)
Synonym:Erythrina caffra
Synonym:Erythrina glauca

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Coral/Apricot

Red-Orange

Provides winter interest

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Calabasas, California

Humble, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas

On Jul 20, 2012, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

In fact Erythrina fusca is NOT the same plant with Erythrina caffra. Erythrina fusca has mostly red flowers, while Erythrina caffra has orange flowers, so all the photos of orange flowers here are of Erythrina caffra and not of Erythrina fusca. There is a problem with the synonym of Erythrina fusca "Er. caffra Blanco", but the accepted name of the true species of E. caffra is "Erythrina caffra Thunb".
Erythrina fusca has a great color variation from red to red-orange to orange, but the most common is the red. Also, the inflorescence is much more elongated than E. caffra.

On Jun 21, 2006, pforrester from Fallbrook, CA wrote:

I wanted to buy this tree but I coudn't find any at my local nursery yet they had one growing near the parking area, so I asked if they had any. After hesitating, the nurseryman took me on a little cart ride out to their growing field. There were half a dozen or so to choose from. For some reason I liked the form of one without any leaves yet. I looked closely and you could see a bit of green on what looked like growth spurs. He checked the bottom and said a rootball had formed. I said, I am sure there is still a rootball in there even if it is not down to the bottom. I didn't notice his silence. So I bought it--5 gal. $18. When I went to plant it the stem slipped out clean as a whistle. Either there was not a root at all formed or they were so new they broke right off when I tried to get... read more

On May 2, 2005, careyjane from Rabat
Morocco wrote:

This tree has softish spongy wood and branches can fall and break quite easily in windy conditions. It has a very large spread and an umbrella like shape at maturity. It should be given space in order to be appreciated at its best.
Short snubby thorns can be found on the trunk and larger branches.
Spring time bright orange-red flowers are spectacular silouhetted against the spring-blue sky.

On Mar 20, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Massive roots on these trees, tear up nearby streets and walkways, so careful when you plant it. Commonly planted around So Cal.