PlantFiles: Chinese Pine, Chinese Red Pine
Pinus tabulaeformis

Family: Pinaceae (py-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pinus (PY-nus) (Info)
Species: tabulaeformis (tab-yoo-LAY-form-iss) (Info)

Synonym:Pinus tabuliformis
Synonym:Pinus sinensis
Synonym:Pinus wilsonii

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Conifers

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Inconspicuous/none

Provides winter interest

Positive sfgardenguy On Nov 16, 2011, sfgardenguy from Sioux Falls, SD wrote:

I planted a small specimen (less than 1' tall) of this pine in an exposed location in eastern South Dakota (decidedly zone 4) in 2009 and it's done very well. After 2 winters (both w/ lows of close to minus 30) and 3 growing seasons it's 30" tall and doing very well. The color is somewhat brighter and prettier than, for example, Pinus nigra.

Positive coyotehollow On Feb 28, 2009, coyotehollow from Weldona, CO wrote:

WOW, I was surprised by this one. I have bought a lot over the years and killed a lot too, and figured this experiment would be one of those "dead after a winter" deals that I have become accustomed to as a collector in the Great Plains in Colorado. However, this one seems to be doing not only good but flourishing in the heat and then low temps of the winter, the wind blowing, dogs urinating on it (to be blunt) and overall not having much care (I got sick with fibryomyalgia a few years ago, and the garden went by the wayside). This one is a survivor, and I intend to let the Colo. State Forest Service know about it also. Take a chance on this one for that difficult spot, and know also that we are in zone 5a, but the reality of where I am at on the slope of a river valley gives me every winter at least one week of below 30 temps, and there is no damage on this one.

Weldona, Colorado