PlantFiles: Clematis, Early Large-flowered Clematis
Clematis 'Pink Champagne'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Cultivar: Pink Champagne
Additional cultivar information: (aka Kakio)
Hybridized by Ozawa; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1971

No fragrance

Bloom Shape:
Single

Bloom Diameter:
Large - 5 to 8 inches (12 to 20 cm)

Pruning Groups:

By lblackwell
Thumbnail #6 of Clematis  by lblackwell

By kmenzel
Thumbnail #7 of Clematis  by kmenzel

Positive FloweryHeart On Jun 9, 2006, FloweryHeart from Williamston, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love this clematis. I have been growing it for several years, at two different homes. The first location was on arbors with sun most of the day (and cranesbill planted at the feet to keep the roots shaded) and presently on my gazebo, where they get either morning or afternoon sun. Both locations have good soil, mulched with shredded leaves or pine bark mulch.
It leafs out and blooms early and generously, and I have found it to make it through our Michigan winters well, requiring only modest pruning of dieback in the spring, allowing for early bloom on the old growth. I always look forward to its generous show.
I would recommend this clematis for people just starting to grow them, as it is very satisfying to grow, tough, and over time puts out a lot of growth for training onto a trellis, arbor or gazebo...

Positive PudgyMudpies On May 5, 2006, PudgyMudpies from Stockton, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got this vine a couple years ago, it was nearly dead and priced high but the tag showed the bloom and I was hooked. Every time I went into that nursery I told the gal that if they would mark it down that I would buy it. Finally, they did because they figured it was a goner & I was probably the only person they would be able to unload it on. LOL The first year it just hung in there and last Spring I got just 1 or 2 flowers. This year, it is thriving and sooo happy! It gave me a glorious display & when I told my son to come look at the flowers, he asked me if it was fragrant & I said no, but he stuck his nose in it anyway and said YES IT IS! I stuck my nose in there and sure enough, it has a lovely soft fragrance! I see that it is listed as no fragrance, so maybe mine is just showing it's appreciation for me saving it. :~)
This is an absolute must for the clematis lovers out there, the pink shimmers & the center of the petals is a luminous silver. Stunning!

Positive jacobstroud On May 26, 2005, jacobstroud from Stephens City, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This clematis is a real eye catcher. I bought it last year as, I would guess, a 2-3 year vine. It bloomed with many huge, at least 5 inch blossoms, this May. I have it on a trellis climbing my white brick on the North West side of my house. It only receives the afternoon sun in my Zone 7 Virginia home, and it sure loves it there. Although it states that it has pink blossoms, mine are more of a lavender with pink undertones. A beautiful color!

Little Rock, Arkansas