Lemon Ball, Golden Ball, Yellow Tower
Parodia leninghausii

Family: Cactaceae (kak-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Parodia (par-ROH-dee-uh) (Info)
Species: leninghausii (len-ing-HOW-see-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Notocactus leningausii
Synonym:Pilocereus leninghausii
Synonym:Malacocarpus leninghausii
Synonym:Eriocactus leninghausii

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Green Valley, Arizona

Fort Walton Beach, Florida

Umatilla, Florida

Deer Park, Texas

On Jul 20, 2012, btlr44 from Batesville, AR wrote:

The only thing, I can say is, I bought mine , last yr at Walmart...I was watering, about 2 times a mth...it was doing good...left it out, under covered deck...last winter..but, we did have a mild winter...this yr...2012 , I started watering once a wk..been so hot..triple digits...then , I noticed, this thing , coming on top of it...not at all, thinking of a bloom..but, I kept watching..and low and behold, I went out, to check,, on it, and , it had opened,,beautiful yellow, like the pictures.. Btw. I do , feed all my cactus, once a mth..not, spring and fall..I have had, many of my cactus, to bloom, for first time this yr..I am a happy person...just wanted to share..I can't post a pic of it, because of Apple...grrrrrrrrrr sorry..but it is only about 5 inches tall....Walmart, had some recentl... read more

On Jun 30, 2011, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

An elegant, charismatic little cactus with impressive winter hardiness, as long as it doesn't get overwatered in winter. The spines are basically soft hairs, not much to worry about; I like petting mine, in fact. Any cactus garden without this species is simply lacking in the coolness department.

On Jan 26, 2009, wormfood from Lecanto, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I don't know if it happens with all storms, but in Florida we get a rain followed by a cold front, which makes for a very unhappy cactus. They can take the temperatures if kept dry.

On Mar 15, 2008, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Despite the underwelming writeups below you should know this is one of THE most desireable cacti species to own. Beautiful bright yellow spines on a hardy to everything,plant. Maybe the most eye catching cacti at Lotusland and The Huntington botanical gardens.That says alot for this humble common Walmart cacti! Amazing ability to spread if allowed and yet can live decades in a pot. I strongly recommend this great cacti.

On Oct 30, 2005, cactus_lover from FSD
Pakistan (Zone 10b) wrote:

Clumping,heads to 1 m high by 10 cm, flowers 5 cm across. Related to Notocactus nigrispinus, its other name is Eriocactus leninghausii.

On Jun 3, 2004, Xenomorf from Valley of the Sun, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Also called "Yellow Tower"

On Mar 28, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of the faster growing small, spiny cactuses. It is intensely spiny and very dangerous to walk too close to. Tends to pup and sometimes bud another plant off near the top. Makes a nice yellow look in the garden and excellent planted in masses. Usually sold under name Notocactus