PlantFiles: Trailing Abutilon, Flowering Maple, Chinese Lanterns
Abutilon megapotamicum 'Sunset'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Abutilon (a-BEW-tih-lon) (Info)
Species: megapotamicum (meg-uh-poh-TAM-ih-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Sunset

By RosinaBloom
Thumbnail #7 of Abutilon megapotamicum by RosinaBloom

Positive stephenp On Dec 29, 2011, stephenp from Wirral, UK, Zone 9a
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

A tough plant despite it's fragile appearance. This plant will flower all year round if condition are right for it, although in colder winters flowers tend not to last.

Here in western UK, Abutilon megapotamicum is a dependable, hardy plant, which is perfectly suited to our damp but mild climate in well drained soil

Positive Lovesumsun On Aug 22, 2010, Lovesumsun from Geneseo, IL wrote:

I purchased in northern Wisconsin where they said it was a type of fuschia! Also said can keep over winter as a houseplant. I live in NW Illinois and it has performed beautifully and grown into a cascading plant in a hanging basket by itself. I want to take in for the winter, no greenhouse. My plan is to adjust it to inside gradually this fall by keeping inside at night and taking back out in the day. Once it is inside for good I will put it in a northern window right behind where it grew outside. If it does not seem to be happy there I will move it to an indirect southern exposure. (I have no E or W windows!) Will watch it for any signs of bugs like whitefly etc. I think this will look absolutely stunning during the holidays dressed up in a nice pot.
Wish me luck!

Positive droughtlover On May 15, 2006, droughtlover from Igo, CA wrote:

Survives in my zone 7 garden, especially in protected sites near the house. Reportedly may freeze to the ground in my climate, but should recover from the roots. Easy to propagate by division. Flowers are very nice, unique, vivid colors. I will be training some new plants against my house as an espalier. In this location I can keep other tender-ish plants alive such as pelargoniums, elephant ears, philodendrons. Pinch generously to promote bushiness; can become gangly without pinching.

Neutral nevadagdn On Mar 29, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

I saw this plant growing extremely well in Yorkshire, United Kingdom. Of course that doesn't help me, or anyone else living in the United States, but for those of you with English-style climates (Pacific Northwest, perhaps?), this plant might be absolutely spectacular. The one I saw was 6 to 8 feet tall.

Positive RitaV On Mar 29, 2005, RitaV from Huntington Beach, CA wrote:

Has been in my garden for 2 years now. Needs occassional pruning but only comes back more glorious. In a sheltered and lightly shaded location near my front door. Absolutely pest free and needs little care. My favorite!!

Carmel, California