Dragonhead Palm, Yunnan Dwarf Palm, Fan Palm
Trachycarpus nanus

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Trachycarpus (trak-ee-KAR-pus) (Info)
Species: nanus (NAN-us) (Info)

Palms

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Anniston, Alabama

Mckinleyville, California

Reseda, California

Plainfield, Indiana

Centreville, Maryland

Fredericktown, Ohio

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

On Mar 29, 2012, longjonsilverz from Centreville, MD wrote:

I just planted a small Trachycarpus Nanus In October of 2011, (which was a little late to be planting a palm in Maryland but I was curious to see what would happen if I did) It was eaten by some kind of animal a few weeks later and I'm pretty sure it was a rabbit but I really don't know for sure what ate it. So there was really nothing left above ground and it was about to be winter so I figured it was dead. However, in the spring it had already began to push out of the ground and then it was eaten AGAIN and yet it still won't die! This palm keeps coming back!

UPDATE: Unfortunately the animals won this battle. Despite many recoveries, the constant rate of being eaten was too much for this palm, and it eventually was consumed all the way to its roots! I then replaced i... read more

On Dec 23, 2011, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

Its a another trachycarpus....am sure it can do better than 27 degrees. Am still trying one... maybe when it gets to 7 gallons.

On Dec 29, 2009, NorCal95519 from Mckinleyville, CA wrote:

T. nanus growing fast and well in McKinleyville Ca.

On Mar 29, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Nice, neat compact fan palm only 2' tall with little or no trunk. Supposed to be pretty cold hardy (zone 8 perhaps?) but not sure. Only a few specimens seen- rare in cultivation still, but recently becoming more available. Plant in photo was flowering last year, even though it looks like a seedling. From Asia

Now that I've been raising a few seedlings I can say that this is one very slow palm. Seedlings I got several years ago aren't significantly larger... but are still with me. Probably be ready to plant out in another 4-10 years...

Whoever added this plant set it up as a 6b plant! HA!!! It can barely survive 27F (mine was defoliated at 26, though it did recover). Not nearly as cold hardy as some hoped, obviously.