PlantFiles: Dragonhead Palm, Yunnan Dwarf Palm, Fan Palm
Trachycarpus nanus

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Trachycarpus (trak-ee-KAR-pus) (Info)
Species: nanus (NAN-us) (Info)

Palms

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Thumbnail #1 of Trachycarpus nanus by palmbob

By Denis_BC
Thumbnail #2 of Trachycarpus nanus by Denis_BC

Thumbnail #3 of Trachycarpus nanus by palmbob

Thumbnail #4 of Trachycarpus nanus by palmbob

By Jaimito
Thumbnail #5 of Trachycarpus nanus by Jaimito

Thumbnail #6 of Trachycarpus nanus by palmbob

Positive longjonsilverz On Mar 29, 2012, longjonsilverz from Centreville, MD wrote:

I just planted a small Trachycarpus Nanus In October of 2011, (which was a little late to be planting a palm in Maryland but I was curious to see what would happen if I did) It was eaten by some kind of animal a few weeks later and I'm pretty sure it was either a rabbit or my cat, but I really don't know for sure what ate it. So there was really nothing left above ground and it was about to be winter so I figured it was dead. However, in the spring it had already began to push out of the ground and then it was eaten AGAIN and yet it still won't die! This palm keeps coming back!

As far as winter goes, it was a very mild one here in Maryland (zone 7). But we did have a low of 16F one night, so I can say that it is capable of that, in addition to all the other things that it went through. I have heard reports of this palm being hardy to as low as about 0F, and slightly more cold tolerant than T.Fortunei. However thats only rumors as far as I know and I'll just wait and find out. I'll report any info if it comes available.

Neutral SuburbanNinja80 On Dec 23, 2011, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

Its a another trachycarpus....am sure it can do better than 27 degrees. Am still trying one... maybe when it gets to 7 gallons.

Positive NorCal95519 On Dec 29, 2009, NorCal95519 from Mckinleyville, CA wrote:

T. nanus growing fast and well in McKinleyville Ca.

Positive palmbob On Mar 29, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Nice, neat compact fan palm only 2' tall with little or no trunk. Supposed to be pretty cold hardy (zone 8 perhaps?) but not sure. Only a few specimens seen- rare in cultivation still, but recently becoming more available. Plant in photo was flowering last year, even though it looks like a seedling. From Asia

Now that I've been raising a few seedlings I can say that this is one very slow palm. Seedlings I got several years ago aren't significantly larger... but are still with me. Probably be ready to plant out in another 4-10 years...

Whoever added this plant set it up as a 6b plant! HA!!! It can barely survive 27F (mine was defoliated at 26, though it did recover). Not nearly as cold hardy as some hoped, obviously.

Blue Mountain, Alabama