Doublefile Viburnum, Japanese Snowball Bush
Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum 'Mariesii'

Family: Adoxaceae (a-dox-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Viburnum (vy-BUR-num) (Info)
Species: plicatum var. tomentosum

Concrete, Washington

Kennewick, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

On Aug 31, 2013, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

My plant is only 1 1/2 years old so it's a bit early for final opinions. This first year it bloomed nicely and has put out nice growth. It started turning an amazing and brilliant reddish orange about a month ago while still putting out new green growth. Seems very happy and healthy in mostly sun. It gets watered deeply every week. Sometimes more often if I have the hose in the area. I have sandy-loam soil that was heavily enriched with chicken manure about 6 years ago. No added mulch or fertilizers since. I hope this plant grows as tall as it's supposed to and survives our heavy winter rains in NW Washington state.

On Aug 18, 2006, soulbloom from Richmond, VA wrote:

As with most of the plants in my garden, I bought this on clearance with hopes of reviving it back to life. I originally didn't care or know anything about it but couldn't pass it up since it was so cheap. I planted it in the shade near where I house my 'good' soil for storage and it exceeded my expectations. No blooms since I planted it around June/July but I like the shape and style of this wide shrub.

On Feb 2, 2006, ViburnumValley from Scott County, KY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Mariesii doublefile viburnum is one of the two most commonly planted doublefile viburnums around the Ohio River valley, along with Shasta. Not surprising: this plant grows and flowers with abandon, asking only for some summer moisture to avoid the "dog-ears" behavior when excessively hot. This shrub will easily reach 8-10' height and 10-15' wide in time. Give it room.

If planted near a different doublefile to provide pollination, the reward is copious bright red fruit which birds will devour. Fall brings a fine combination of reds, burgundies, and pumpkin orange foliage. The striated horizontal branching provides a fine contrast to rounder and more upright plant forms. This is a good viburnum for Kentucky conditions.

On Apr 12, 2005, mycottage from Weston, MO wrote:

I have a 3 year old Mariessi in my garden, which is growing quite well (almost 6.5' tall now). It has beautiful shape, but has never bloomed. Don't know why. Any suggestions?

On May 30, 2004, maria1982 from Thorold
wrote:

Southern Ontario, I have had this bush for many years, and it is wonderful, blooming profusely in the early summer. The flat blooms are unique. It is planted in partial shade, and doing well.

On May 31, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This beautiful shrub has the flowering aspect of a lace-cap hydrangea, blooming in May. Its flower clusters are very large, and the central buds are red before opening pure white.

The fall foliage is another bonus. The leaves are corrugated in appearance, and as they change color to a dark rust, it adds a special emphasis.

The flowers are reputed to be fragrant, however, the shrub must be purchased in bloom to determine. Seed-grown shrubs have little if any aroma.