PlantFiles: Yoshino Cherry
Prunus x yedoensis

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Prunus (PROO-nus) (Info)
Species: x yedoensis

Pale Pink

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By goldenfish

Thumbnail #6 of Prunus x yedoensis by DonnaMack

By slyperso1
Thumbnail #7 of Prunus x yedoensis by slyperso1

Positive DonnaMack On Jan 31, 2009, DonnaMack from Elgin, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This tree has been extremely successful in my zone 5a yard, which surprised me, since I associate it with warmer climates. It bloomed when very young, and it is on the windiest side of my yard, completely unprotected from the elements. Since I have clay soil, I give it fresh compost and pine bark mulch and use ironite on it each spring.

Positive Alan_Taylor On Aug 22, 2006, Alan_Taylor from Macon, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

The city of Macon, Georgia, has more of these trees than are planted in Washington, DC, and Prunus x Yedoensis seems to love it here. Our soil is acidic, we get above average water, and, of course, we have plenty of sun. I planted three bare-root seedlings in the full sun of my front yard in December of 2003. (These trees are best planted in the winter to allow the roots to get established.) I managed to kill one tree accidentally, but the other two are thriving. I watered them weekly for the first year, and after that I ignored them (with the exception of needing to defend the weaker tree from an ant attack last Summer). Now, less than three years from when the seedlings were planted, one tree is @ 15 feet tall, and the other is @ 12 feet. Beautiful white blooms appear in the third week of March here in Middle Georgia (zone 8a).

Negative flowernerd On Apr 18, 2006, flowernerd from Hanson, MA wrote:

The upright form of this tree, though beautiful, hasn't done that well in the Northeast for me unless I can control pests without hurting local birds (bluebirds use it to perch, and I don't want to lose them!). Needs full sun. It is thirsty and needs acidic soil. I have sun, water and acid, but with a dry winter and spring in 2006, things are not good for this tree.
The leaves and fruit must be delicious because they are history by mid-summer. Invasive moth larvae (english) a big problem in late spring/early summer, after leafs out, along with leafhoppers throughout summer.
Cherries are small. Branch die off seems to be common problem, but cutting them off is ok any time of year. If branches cross, cut offenders back right after bloom to avoid reducing next year's bloom.

Positive adamajp1521 On Jul 22, 2005, adamajp1521 from Riverdale, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

These beautiful cherry trees are found all over the Washington, DC Metro area and are the stars of the Cherry Blossom Festival every spring!

Vincent, Alabama
Highlands, North Carolina
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Dayton, Ohio
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Portland, Oregon (2 reports)
Mount Joy, Pennsylvania