Butterfly Amaryllis

Hippeastrum papilio

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hippeastrum (hip-ee-ASS-trum) (Info)
Species: papilio (pap-ILL-ee-oh) (Info)
Additional cultivar information:(aka Papillio)
Synonym:Amaryllis papilio

Flowers are good for cutting

Scarlet (Dark Red)

This plant is resistant to deer

Anniston, Alabama

Los Angeles, California

Monrovia, California

Oakland, California

Sebastopol, California

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)

Fort Myers, Florida

Spring, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas

Winnsboro, Texas

On Nov 8, 2015, WiltonManors from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

When I moved to south Florida (zone 10b) from the cold northlands (zone 5b) in 2000 I brought with me two of the papilio bulbs. I kept them in pots for seven years with no blooms. In 2008 I bought a house with a nice yard and planted the bulbs in a sunny new flower bed. I have been amply rewarded. The bulbs have multiplied prodigiously and I now have several dozen huge plants in a big clump at the border of the garden. They bloom mostly in spring, but with a smaller crop of blooms in autumn, and they put on an amazing display that always brings comments from the neighbors as they pass by.

On Nov 2, 2015, broadway1 from Hamtramck, MI wrote:

I too have had Papillo for several years but it only bloomed the first one. Some have told me to treat it like other amaryllises-- cut leaves back and let it rest for several months and others that it should be grown as a year-round house plant. Have 30 others and been successful with resting, What's the secret? ...

On Feb 14, 2013, depuy from Eureka, CA wrote:

I have had this for years. In Northern Ca. I have been growing it in the greenhouse and on a covered patio. A few months ago I put some in the ground and mulched then with fine fir bark. They are doing fine. The temperature dropped to 28 in mid January and there was not the slightest hint of leaf damage. One is sending up a flower spike. The only problem I have had with it is with snails and slugs. I was told they are epiphytic, but they probably need some detritus to root in. I may give it a try when my redwoods get a little bigger. A friend grew some in her greenhouse that were huge, a very nice strain.

On Nov 15, 2010, the_naturalist from Monrovia, CA wrote:

I have this multiplying profusely in full shade in my Southern California yard.

On Mar 2, 2010, Buttoneer from Carlisle, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have had this plant before, many years ago and lost it, so I finally got it back again and it is everything, if not more, than the description. It bloomed 4 flowers, the first two were crossed with a white amaryllis and the last two were self-pollenated. I stuck a couple of Jobe's plant spikes in the pot and it bloomed. It is greenhouse-grown with a minimum temp of 55 degrees in winter.

On Jan 27, 2010, dfusting from Saint Thomas, PA wrote:

I m new at this what shoul I do with the bulb after it blooms? Leave in in the pot and put in garage or basement? When do I bring it out again. Thank You

On Jun 12, 2009, dwarbucks from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I was discouraged by what I felt was a small bulb when I got it 3 years ago. It bloomed that first year and each succeeding year. It is in bloom now (June 2009). The bulb has tripled in size and has two new offsets growing this year. The flowers have a more greenish cast than most photos show. Nice plant!

On Mar 19, 2008, haweha from Solingen
Germany (Zone 7a) wrote:

The particular clone of that species knight star lily which is commercialized in The Netherlands and Germany, respectively produces flowers with particularly broad segments and - is self sterile. However, I received seeds and progeny thereof, by crossing - in both directions that is, using H.papilio as mother plant and as pollen donor - with "Pink Floyd", H.aulicum v.robustum and H.cybister "Chico". These are all DIPS like H.papilio itself. If it is dusted with pollen from TETs then it produces a nice, well-stuffed seed pod as well, but the bulk of seeds will be chaff. However, perform a careful inspection of the fresh seeds and discover the few specimens with a plump, viable embryo (if you are lucky and there are some at all) ;) Those are precious.

On Mar 15, 2007, nancyanne from Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is a natural species, not a hybrid. It *will* self-pollinate, and it *will* set viable seed.
A very arresting flower - unusual color and markings, and exceptionally tall inflorescences.