Large-Flowered Climbing Rose
Rosa 'Fourth of July'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Fourth of July
Additional cultivar information:(PP11518, aka WEKroalt,, Crazy for You, Climbing Fourth of July, Hanabi)
Hybridized by Carruth

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Clovis, California

Fairview, California

Lancaster, California

Perris, California

San Jose, California (2 reports)

San Pedro, California

Layton, Utah

Norfolk, Virginia

negative

On Mar 10, 2015, QueenB from Shepherd, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

It has been the only climbing rose I have to survive the extremes in weather that my area has been through the past 10 years. Drought or rain doesn't seem to phase it. The hotter it gets, the more it blooms. I've rarely fertilized it, even though I've pruned it in the spring and watered some during the worst part of summer. I can't complain about this one!

On Dec 9, 2011, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

Have it planted so it grows on my gazebo . I love the flowers in spring when our weather is cooler the variegation is stunning then , However when the Texas heat hits the flowers turn dark red with faint variegation . I still however love how it looks when it is covered in blooms . The only negative is the thorns this has to be the thorniest climber ever it makes it difficult (AND PAINFUL) to train the canes up the pillars of the gazebo .

On May 26, 2010, debles from Tulsa, OK wrote:

I had one of these and agree that it's a spectacular beauty. Love the fragrance too. It's not a common rose fragrance at all.

I gave mine to my dear friend and neighbor because I had no patience with the thorns. It's a VERY thorny rose.
Since she lives right next door, I can still enjoy it, but don't have to deal with those thorns.

On Mar 20, 2010, Karldan from Norfolk, VA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This rose has moved with me three times. From my father's house, to an apartment, and now in my own garden. When it was dug it up from the apartment, the main root broke off, no problem for this sturdy beauty. Indeed, the root I left deep in the ground grew another bush. Very floriferous and sturdy, disease and pest resistant.

On Mar 11, 2009, madamecp from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted one in May 2008, after wanting one since a year before that.

It's hard to believe how well it grows here! It grew plenty of large canes during the year, it flowered prolifically until after the frosts hit. I think I fertilized it all of once... though I did at least water it enough to get it established.

The wackiest thing is that it has been growing strongly this year, since February (admittedly it's been hot quite often). I cringed... then we got a mild snow storm, followed by temperatures in the low teens. It's still growing, no damage, it didn't care at all.

It's in a reasonably sheltered spot (doesn't get as sun-fried as my other roses), with space to eventually grow up a fence and a garage wall (I haven't trained it yet, it's... read more

On Jul 30, 2008, joeomar from Elkhorn, NE wrote:

I planted three of them three years ago. They're my favorite looking rose, very pretty pure white and bright red flower. They've grown well for me here in Omaha NE with one drawback - for some reason they have a very short bloom time. They bloom proliferously for about three weeks in May or June, and then the rest of the season each plant will have no more than two or three flowers at most.

On Jun 13, 2008, NERM88 from Southington, CT (Zone 6b) wrote:

Performs best in warm zones. Takes rather long to establish, especially in the North (3-5 yrs).

On Jan 29, 2008, Dollykat from Lucasville, OH wrote:

I've had this rose for several years, and it is beautiful. A Will Goodwin clematis grows on it, too. The combination is nice, but a Jackmanii might be better.

On Jan 17, 2006, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought this as Crazy For You in the UK, and it has now had 4 seasons growth. Last year it grew to around 5' tall, and had many flowers of varying colour formations. The red is a vibrant scarlet, almost unbelievable, mixed with a milky white it certainly has impact. The foliage is robust and healthy, and reminds me of a rugosa rose floiage, a good deep green and plenty of it. It produces large clusters of flowers to around 3" across, but they do not open flat, and remain cupped.

I have never smelt a rose with this sort of fragrance, it is such a pleasure you must walk by it at least twice a day to have a drink of it! It is a fruity fragrance, rather like a fruit salad with a touch of lemon, this rose has it all!

It seems to flower forever, starting qui... read more

On Aug 31, 2005, LaLambchop from Chapin, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this rose! It grows so much faster than Don Juan and the sprays of flowers are beautiful. One is not enough. Not much trouble with black spot in hot, wet, Florida summer either.

On Sep 3, 2004, Starbaby01 from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

This an absolutely beautiful rose!!. Fast growing, a climber and the frangrance is heaven. The colors are so vibrant. Almost everywhere I have lived I have bought one and I always get compliments. I bought mine from MissionHills Nursery (the only one I found that sells it).

On Oct 17, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

As bright and colorful as the Fourth of July! The colors on this just don't quit.