Crassula 'Campfire'

Crassula capitella

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crassula (KRASS-oo-la) (Info)
Species: capitella (kap-ih-TEL-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Campfire

Fairfield, California

Fresno, California

Glen Avon, California

Hayward, California

Los Angeles, California (3 reports)

Newbury Park, California

Valley Village, California

Umatilla, Florida

Evans, Georgia

On Jan 23, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- This is the only member of the genus Crassula that I have ever been able to get to survive the summer in my garden, including both in-ground and pots. I have tried many Crassulas over 25 years. I am in a flood irrigation area (the yard is flooded every other week March-Nov.) and although my succulent beds are raised above the water, the elevated humidity combined with intense summer heat kills Crassula. For some reason Campfire has hung on for over 20 years, although it is always just a small patch huddled up against some rocks in partial shade.

On Aug 21, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Grew this an just loved it lost mine when taking it in and out Fall of last year...sad day...looking to get some new starts of this plant it's not sold around here anymore.

On Oct 6, 2009, goldenstate from Fresno, CA wrote:

Very easy to grow. I started this plant from a cutting and now I have several plants throughout the garden. In full shade they remain green, and in full sun they become a brilliant red/orange. They look great in succulent garden, planted with blue toned agaves and red/black/purple (stressed) aloes. They give a similar effect as euphorbia "sticks on fire". They are flowering for me now in October in central, inland California.

On Feb 9, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Easy to grow and with that incendiary color a very showy plant. Attractive in flower too. I was surprised at how hardy this plant is.Cold that can nip a jade plant didn't affect "Campfire" this year.

On Apr 24, 2006, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Good small fast growing (bordering on invasive!) plant for the garden- excellent winter color- much greener in summer. Great for pots, too.
Very fleshy, soft brilliant lime green to bright red succulent leaves. Flowers in fall only, in Southern California at least. Plants get quite 'leggy' and unattractive at this time, and flowers do not smell good, so is a good time of year to trim them back substantially.