Bodnant Viburnum, Arrowwood 'Dawn'

Viburnum x bodnantense

Family: Adoxaceae (a-dox-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Viburnum (vy-BUR-num) (Info)
Species: x bodnantense (bod-nan-TEN-see) (Info)
Cultivar: Dawn

Quakertown, Pennsylvania

Manassas, Virginia

Stanwood, Washington

On Feb 11, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

In mild winters this blooms well though intermittently during late mild spells. In other years, the flower buds are mostly blasted. (Boston, MA Z6a) Sometimes its flowering waits till early spring. I've also watched a shrub in the Arnold Arboretum dwindle successively over several winters.

The habit is upright and sparingly branched. As a specimen, it's rather gaunt. It would look better integrated into a shrub border, or spaced about 4' apart. In eastern Massachusetts, it doesn't seem to get more than about 7' tall. Flowering is best in full sun.

In fine gardening circles, this is a Currently Fashionable Plant. I think this shrub has been oversold in the horticultural press, due entirely to its winter flowering. I suspect that it performs much better in the B... read more

On Apr 19, 2012, mcced from Klamath Falls, OR wrote:

It is April 19 and this beautiful shrub is in full bloom with its fragrant pink flowers. Most descriptions of this plant say it is winter blooming, but for me in my zone 6 garden it's the first flowering "tree" in the spring, flowering along with Forsythia, Hamamelis, and Hellebores.

On Jan 24, 2012, Margotsgarden from Victoria, BC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Winter of 2011/12 in Victoria, BC has been the most beautiful, mild and sunny than any in my 15 year history here. I have 2 of these large shrubs in my garden and their perfume has filled my garden all winter. They too are loving this mild weather and have never had so many blooms before. The one in my back shade garden is easily 20 ft tall at its furthest reaching tips and tolerates the dry shade spot well. I would not do without it even though the leaves smell of petrol when pruned. The one in my front garden grows right up against the North wall and fills the area walking up the steps to our porch. Again deep shade, dry as a bone and indestructible. Both of these shrubs do get good morning sun. I do empty my gold fish bowl water into it so it does get good nutrients and the one in the b... read more

On Jun 10, 2010, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Here in zone 5a this shrub has performed well through a long and very cold winter. There wasnt any resulting dieback. Leaves smell like burnt rubber.

On Jan 8, 2007, tinyrubies from Coos Bay, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

This remarkable plant keeps my winter garden going; in early January it has been blooming already for 6 weeks and shows no signs of stopping (zone 8, OR). I have it planted in the middle of a mixed border that I see from above through a picture window. Underplant it with early daffodils and crocus; I'm trying to get some creeping thyme to fill in around for the summer as well.

On Jan 2, 2006, growin from Beautiful, BC (Zone 9b) wrote:

Blooms through the winter months and adds pleasant colour to a dull landscape. Deeply veined foliage is attractive during the summer months. Cutting propagation was relatively easy - taken in summer to fall in flats with bottom heat. Blooms can become mushy in winter rains.

On Jan 27, 2005, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is perhaps the mostly widely available cultivar of the Bodnant Viburnum. Flowers open pale to medium pink but age to a rosy-pink. The mix of pink shades on any given flower cluster is very attractive. Plants bloom throughout winter and spring and are higly fragrant. Listed as hardy to zone 6, I have has mine for 8 years in zone 5b with no problems. With the more severe winters in Newfoundland, mine does not bloom until April-May, the same time as the February Daphne. Together, both make my garden very fragrant throughout April!