PlantFiles: Pink Sorrel
Oxalis articulata

Family: Oxalidaceae
Genus: Oxalis (oks-AL-iss) (Info)
Species: articulata (ar-tik-oo-LAH-tuh) (Info)

Bulbs

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Partial to Full Shade

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From bulbils

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By martinea

Thumbnail #6 of Oxalis articulata by zest

By zest
Thumbnail #7 of Oxalis articulata by zest

Positive coriaceous On Jan 30, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A form of this species is widely sold in the US under the name "Oxalis crassipes".

It's a beautiful plant that blooms all season in southern New England (Z6a). It isn't at all weedy or invasive here.

Positive Krootie On Jun 20, 2012, Krootie from Weirton, WV (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this plant as it enjoys my outdoor porch throughout the spring, summer and fall in the northern panhandle of WV. Just let it dry in it's container and place it in the garage for the winter. I've never seen it in local nurseries or catalogs and obtained it from an elderly neighbor who no longer wanted it. It's remained in the same container for over 5 years.

Positive zest On Oct 9, 2007, zest from Horsens
Denmark wrote:

Oxalis articulata originates from South America, but is now naturalised in many parts of the world.

Blooms from early spring or year round when climate is mild.
It thrives in well drained soil, full morning/afternoon sun to semi shade. Its been reported to tolerate
temperatures down to about -5 to -8 C / 23 to 17.6 F

In the right habitat, it can seed and spread.

Positive savannah48 On May 2, 2006, savannah48 from Fullerton, CA wrote:

This plant certainly grows in Phoenix. There were several clumps of these plants that grew in my parent's yard for over 50 years. I now have one in California growing in a hanging basket that is about 20 inches in diameter and covered in flowers.

Positive Marilyn12 On Jan 25, 2006, Marilyn12 from Glendale, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

I really enjoy growing the pink oxalis. I got my original pink bulbils from my mother's garden in Sun City. I split the bulbils into smaller units and propegated by planting the bulbils. I did not grow them from seed. I grew them at my home for 16 years, then we moved in 2004 and I took bulbils from my old yard and have planted them in my new one in Glendale. They are actually blooming right now (January) and should bloom until late May. They die down and come back again about January. They are very perky and I have had no trouble with them. I saw purple ones for sale on the web and I was tempted to buy them but didn't. I would definitely recommend them for the Phoenix area!

Positive DawnRain On Nov 27, 2004, DawnRain from Bartow, FL wrote:

It is invasive in my zone 9 Florida garden, but such a pretty little plant, I don't mind. It practically disappears in the summer, but fills the beds in winter. It is no problem to plant through it and it is such a nice filler for the bare spots. Pretty foliage and bloom, nice little ground cover. I love it. DR

Positive Kim_M On Nov 26, 2004, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is a lovely little plant. I have not found it to be invasive at all.

Negative crystalspin On Apr 9, 2004, crystalspin from Santa Ana, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Had one or two 'volunteer' in a difficult strip-bed, and thought that was great. Time came to improve that bed (in spring when this plant not even showing) and when the dirt was all mixed up with improvements added, oxalis started coming up EVERYWHERE, and thick. Impossible to pull (at least when small: they leave bits of bulblet behind and they are right back), and impractical to dig each one out when they come up like grass and are in & around other expensive plants like hellebores. I finally sprayed the worst areas with Round Up, but I think I'll be finding and attempting to extract from specimen plants FOREVER...

Glendale, Arizona
Fullerton, California
Bartow, Florida (2 reports)
Roslindale, Massachusetts