PlantFiles: Crinodonna Lily
X Amarcrinum memoria-corsii

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: X Amarcrinum (am-ar-KRY-num) (Info)
Species: memoria-corsii
Additional cultivar information: (aka Howardii)

Bulbs

This plant is resistant to deer

Thumbnail #1 of X Amarcrinum memoria-corsii by ladyannne

Thumbnail #6 of X Amarcrinum memoria-corsii by ladyannne

Thumbnail #7 of X Amarcrinum memoria-corsii by ladyannne

Negative chrisintoronto On Nov 8, 2011, chrisintoronto from Toronto
Canada (Zone 6a) wrote:

Bought a bulb from White's 12 or 14 years ago. Lots of foliage every year and the bulb has multiplied so that now there's a few dozen shoots coming up in a single pot. Unfortunately, it has bloomed only once in all these years - ans that was late last summer/early fall. I think next year after it goes dormant in late spring I'll put it in the basement for a few months to see if the cooler temps help.

Positive mzelonis On Aug 28, 2010, mzelonis from Zionsville, IN wrote:

Have been growing and enjoying Amarcrinum 'Fred Howard' for about 6 years. In Zone 5, I bring it into a cool cellar for the winter, and back out in May. By August I have four to 6 stalks, each with a half-dozen or more medium pink blooms with a light, satisfying aroma. Makes visitors stop in their tracks. Wonderful!! Hope to grow other cultivars. One of my favorite plants for the patio.

Negative FloraJ On Aug 9, 2010, FloraJ from Riverside, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have no experience, but attended a Flower Show in Redlands, California and bought this plant. It was all green and beautiful. I had it for about a year, and, because I never had any blooms, a couple of months ago I fed it Miracle Gro. I think I killed it. All the leaves fell off and there is no new growth. I need to know if it will come back eventually or if I should just throw it away. HELP SOMEONE, PLEASE?????

Positive pforrester On Nov 25, 2006, pforrester from Fallbrook, CA wrote:

I live in north San Diego County--10b. I accidently bought this plant b/c I later found out that what I had seen in a nearby garden was actually naked ladies. When I bought the plant it already had several plants in the one five gallon container. I was not going to be able to plant it for awhile so I wanted to divide and replant in containers. The root/bulbs are very big and tough. Several of the smaller bulbs were sliced in half. I didn't know if these bulbs would grow or not and I could not find any info on it. So, I decided to go ahead and plant the several sliced bulbs, still with the leaves attached in small 6 inch pots. The reason I am writing this note is to tell you that they all grew. So, don't throw them away--plant them. I ended up with nine separate plants.

Positive berrygirl On Sep 4, 2006, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I planted a bulb of this in a pot back in April or May. I really didnt expect it to bloom this yr but it has been blooming now for about 3 days. The blooms are light pink and smell fantastic. Fragrance is similar to the kids bubble bath called Mr Bubble!

Positive dmj1218 On Apr 28, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This bulb is also referred to as "crinadonna" and is a cross between amaryllis belladonna and crinum moorei. One of my favorite plants, grown in part sun-part shade. The bulbs take about 2 years for small bulbs to get well adjusted and start to bloom profusely, but well worth the wait. Supposed to grow in zones 7-10 and be deer and rodent proof. Funnel-shaped blooms of soft pink in clusters of 10-16 atop 24"-30" stems. It is an easy to grow and blooms constantly from late May through August for me. A prolific blooming variety and quickly makes multiple offsets--bulbs get huge like any other crinum. Unlike many crinums species though--this one remains evergreen in zone 9a.

Positive ladyannne On Jun 21, 2004, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This lily is a center attraction, our plant is over twenty years old and lovely with a distinct light fragrance. It was started in the shade and the flowers are the palest pink. Another start was found in full sun and the flowers are deep pink. After the lilies bloom and drop, bulbs form at the end of each flower finger. These can be started for more plants. The Sunset Western book says this is a rare plant, get a cutting from a friend.

Plants grown in the shade have light pink flowers, where as if grown in full sun, the flowers are darker, vibrant pink. Nine times out of ten, the plant in the shade blooms on June 3rd.

Union Grove, Alabama