PlantFiles: Bridal Wreath Spiraea
Spiraea prunifolia

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Spiraea (spy-REE-ah) (Info)
Species: prunifolia (proo-ni-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

By ladyrowan

Thumbnail #5 of Spiraea prunifolia by hgurule

Thumbnail #6 of Spiraea prunifolia by hgurule

Thumbnail #7 of Spiraea prunifolia by hgurule

Positive bobbieberecz On Jul 5, 2014, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

My mother had this spirea in her mountain home in the Washington Cascade foothills. It was enormous----8 to 9 ft. tall and at least 15 feet wide. It received absolutely no care. The ground was extremely rocky (a pick was needed to dig planting holes) and was on the far edge of their large lawn. It got minimal water from an occasional lawn sprinkler but that was rare. All the grandchildren grew up hiding under those arching branches behind which had formed a natural circular room. This is the perfect shrub for families, difficult growing conditions and beauty. I'm starting one in my own yard and am anxious to see how long it takes to become the beauty of my mother's. My growing conditions are far better but I'm pretty sure what little soil laid between those rocks was very rich as all things planted grew well. No mulch for her; no fertilizers; no water. Just the elements provided by God.

Neutral CityBella On Feb 21, 2013, CityBella from Richfield, MN wrote:

Does anyone know if the root system of the Bridal Wreath Spirea will do ok in a 3x3x3 brick container with a drip water system, in Zone 4a? I am concerned that it would eventually become root-bound and need to be removed.

Positive daleykris On Dec 8, 2012, daleykris from Burlington, VT wrote:

Wondering If anyone has a suggestion about repairing a Bridal Wreath that may have been overpruned? As far as I can tell this plant needs very little maintanance. I have removed a lot of dead stalks from the center but it still has some dead frons and Im not sure what t do, any ideas?

Positive hoocher On Jun 21, 2012, hoocher from Ione, WA wrote:

We live in NE Washington where it gets very cold and a lot of snow. It grows well here It is in the center of our front yard and was beautiful this year.

Positive julietomblin On May 3, 2011, julietomblin from Ashton, IL wrote:

I have a bridal wreath in the front of my home. Im sure its been here for some time considering the size of it. Yet it was never pruned or taken care of at all. Also it really didnt produce very many flowers even though it gets plenty of sun. I had the whole bush cut down just to the lowest branches so that i could control the size of it. About how long will it take to regrow? I love this bush because its easy to maintain and its georgeous. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks!

Julie Tomblin

Positive LauraSteele On Jan 29, 2011, LauraSteele from Fort Wayne, IN wrote:

My neighbor, 2 doors down, has several of these bushes as a front foundation planting and they are more than 70 years old and over 10' tall. They almost stop traffic on our busy street when they bloom in the Spring.
I have 1 bush along our back fence that was the dwarf "Peppermint Stick" variety when we planted it years ago. It is now a non-dwarf, white, bridal wreath bush. I now have to cut it back almost to the ground every year in late winter/early spring to control the size. I think the "Peppermint Stick" may have been grafted onto the hardier white rootstock, the graft part died and the original rootstock grew. The pink was nice but the white is incredible, as long as it doesn't knock down the neighbors' fence...

Positive stormyla On Nov 24, 2009, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This shrub requires virtually no care. It reliably puts on a beautiful spring show every year. Can't go wrong with this one.

Positive gonemo On Nov 5, 2009, gonemo from Hesperia, CA wrote:

I wanted to let people know this definitely grows in CA. I did not see it on the list and thought it should be added so others in my zone might try it. I am in zone 10 I believe(possibly 9), in the high desert. I have had the bridal's wreath spirea for 4 yrs now. It survives snow and 30 degrees above zero winter temperatures(probably even down to 15 above zero in the evenings). It survives 120 degree summer heat. It survives hard clay soil! I can't say enough how amazing this plant really is and how little it requires it care. It really is an excellent hardy bush! I just wish it could bloom all the time its so beautiful.

Positive pajaritomt On Oct 24, 2007, pajaritomt from Los Alamos, NM (Zone 5a) wrote:

One of my favorite shrubs. I remember it from my childhood in the South where it makes enormous sprays of white flowers in the spring. I have it growing in my current yard in New Mexico where it is just as beautiful. For me, I believe my favorite aspect of this plant is the drooping sprays in the spring. The shrub is well behaved and innocuous during the rest of the year.

Positive renwings On Nov 1, 2006, renwings from Sultan, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

My grandmother had this growing in her side yard where it got afternoon sun. I loved it! We would weave the blooming branches into wreaths to wear in our hair. She had managed to get it to grow in a well maintained clump that was very attractive and elegant when it bloomed. Lily of the Valley grew at it's feet.

I see it all the time around here along the highways.

Positive Gabrielle On Jan 16, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I lived in an apartment for a short while, and there were some young Bridal Wreaths there. One day I went out, and someone had ripped one up and thrown it down. I took the half-dead plant to my Mom, and she put in the ground. It has thrived ever since. My only complaint is that I wish the bloom span was longer. Blooms in May in my garden. My information says it can take partial sun. Pruning should be done immediately after flowering.

Positive Toxicodendron On May 17, 2004, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Bridal wreath spirea is an oldfashioned shrub commonly found on deserted farmsteads in our area. It spreads by runners to form a thicket if not mowed around. Extremely cold and drought hardy, and insect resistant. The pure white flowers are born in long sprays that can be fashioned into wreaths and worn on the head for a special occasion, hence the name. As the flowers fade, the rather small leaves emerge. In autumn the foliage turns beautiful gold and orange and rust colors if the plant is in full sun. When pruning is called for the twigs can be bundled together to make a nice swag to decorate. The plants can be quite tall, 8-10 feet, and that big around if allowed. Very easy to start a new plant by digging a runner. Difficult to totally dig out an old one since every piece of root will sprout for years afterwards. The growth habit is more upright than the Vanhoutte spireas.
I grow the double-flowered form 'Plena'.

Positive RoyB On May 16, 2004, RoyB from New Hyde Park, NY wrote:

The Bridal Wreath that I have has bloomed the last 40 or so years. Three years ago it was dug up form its original location north side of back yard and transplanted to the west side both partially shaded. The transplant took wonderfully and now the shrub is pushing new growth from the base. The blooms are beautiful as shown in photo submitted.

Birmingham, Alabama
Roscoe, Pennsylvania
Greenville, South Carolina
Summerville, South Carolina
Cookeville, Tennessee
Culleoka, Tennessee (2 reports)
Etowah, Tennessee