PlantFiles: Trumpet Vine, Trumpet Creeper, Cow-Itch Vine
Campsis radicans

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campsis (KAMP-sis) (Info)
Species: radicans (RAD-ee-kans) (Info)

Synonym:Tecoma radicans
Synonym:Bignonia radicans

Orange
Red-Orange
Gold (Yellow-Orange)

From hardwood cuttings
Allow cut surface to callous over before planting
From seed; stratify if sowing indoors
By simple layering

Thumbnail #6 of Campsis radicans by dave

By Chamma
Thumbnail #7 of Campsis radicans by Chamma

Neutral yrrej On Aug 20, 2014, yrrej from El Paso, TX wrote:

Here in El Paso, Texas, this vine is the most popular and strongest growing of any vines. It covers very thoroughly to heights over 10' and spreads horizontally as well. It is perennial with the leaves dropping during the winter. When it comes out in spring, it grows like gangbusters. It is fairly drought-resistant once established, but prefers some water. One drawback is its extreme invasiveness in this area where water is available. It comes up in lawns and spreads readily and is not easily controlled. The flowers are very nice and attract hummingbirds, although the fruit attracts a large shield bug as well. A useful plant that requires some planning for proper use.

Positive Lovehum On Aug 15, 2014, Lovehum from (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant is a fast grower but still not fast enough for me. I want it to grow fast and big for privacy but it's taking its time. In the warmer states this plant can require a lot of extra work. Our cold winters keep this vine in check. The flowers are stunning and feed many hummingbirds high up and safely away from many predators like house cats. After many years the stems turn into beautiful woody serpentine shapes.

Negative retmsgt97 On Aug 13, 2014, retmsgt97 from Lakeland, FL wrote:

This vine was growing on an adult cedar tree when we moved into the house 15 years ago. The cedar is now dead, but the vine is doing just peachy. It has since popped up behind the house, on the fence posts over 50 feet away, and is currently entrenched on over 1/2 the property. I have an orange blooming cabbage palm, several orange blooming oaks, and it is now in my pear trees. Pulling it up does not work, digging it up does not work, Round-up seems to energize it. This is not a plant, it is a sentient, evil life form bent on global domination. We do not get enough cold weather here is central FL to do anything to it, so it grows most of the year. Unless you live somewhere with 2 months or more of COLD weather, DO NOT plant this thing.

Negative PTetley On May 28, 2014, PTetley from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

Deep South area of the US- This vine was on my property when I bought it 8 years ago. Every year, I have been fighting seeds/seedlings and rampant vines coming up below and near the white oak tree. They come up many feet away from the parent vine, and are shooting up between the expansion joints in my driveway and about 30 feet away climbing up our chain-link fence. The vines are beginning to thicken up, resembling wisteria's thick vines that pull down structures. Please reconsider ever planting this monster. I am going to wage war on it beginning this weekend, and one of us will eventually win. It may indeed be the death of me before I can rid my property of this evil. And yes, pick up the pods full of seeds and throw them in the trash!

Negative MrMasks On May 21, 2014, MrMasks from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

This is not a plant... it is a form of domestic terrorism. I seriously can't find words to strong enough to describe my hatred of this plague. I'm not one to personify plants, but I can only describe this monstrosity as malicious and evil.

I bought a house three years ago, not realizing the neighbor behind me had recently planted this booby trap about 2-3 years prior. Two summers ago, I noticed this plant was draping over the fence in my back yard and was starting to drop pods. I picked them up and cut the plant back to their side of the fence.

Last summer, it started climbing up a storage shed about 4 feet away from the fence, and I found several shooters springing up in the yard. Pulling the shooters off of the shed resulted in paint coming off WITH the branches, which acted like they were glued onto the shed. Luckily, I plan on tearing the shed down anyway, so I'm not concerned about that. I frankly don't care how "pretty" the plant looks, it will be getting poisoned. At this point, I'm just trying to decide whether to use the strongest herbicide in combination with gasoline and vinegar, or whether I use a small thermo-nuclear explosive... I'm pretty sure the nuclear fallout would be less of a pain than this plant.

For the love of God, DO NOT PLANT THIS. This plant CANNOT be controlled and it will destroy your neighbor's yards. It should be illegal to even sell this plant, let alone plant it in an urban setting.

Positive Zeffie On Apr 13, 2014, Zeffie from North River, ND wrote:

Got dead soil? we got the solution! grow this plant and have no fear, you can't kill it! This grows in the very alkaline soil (pH 8) of fargo hard clay pan no problem. Just dont over water it is all. I've also seen it do very well in almost pure sand and no nutrients! not a good choice for rich soils imo. Hostile limestone soils? yes! salty soil where nothing else will grow? Yup. Prune tolerant once established, quite vigorous. the yellow flava is less rampant, easier to contain.

Positive Hummingbird63 On Mar 23, 2014, Hummingbird63 from West Warwick, RI wrote:

I can't wait to see my trumpet vine take off!!
I just got the seeds and purchased some plants online and I've the yellow and the red- orange from tractor supply I started some seeds last year.
here in RI it got a slow start so I'm hoping this year it will get some height on it.

For those of you that are having a hard time with this plant and want to get rid of it try ant spray I've heard is effective killer of the vine...

Neutral Hannibalscipio On Feb 12, 2014, Hannibalscipio wrote:

There is a bush that looks like a trumpet vine near my grandmother's house. It looks nice and healthy, but it has not spread like trumpet vines tend to. Is there a bush that looks like a trumpet vine, but does not spread?

Thank you.

Positive MurrayTX On Nov 29, 2013, MurrayTX from El Paso, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This vine is as invasive as others say, but it laughs at the desert heat of El Paso while presenting a green tropical look to any wall. I had it throughout one side yard and attempted to dig up dozens to transplant to the other side last year. Maybe 20% survived, but they have since grown and starting appearing with even stronger vines 5 feet away. One may show chlorosis while several others inches away will not...so I have no idea what causes it. I would suggest this to anyone who has a rock wall or side of a house that they want covered in green, flowers, and preoccupied bees all spring until the first freeze. But know that it must be contained or else your whole yard will get it. Is also a prolific seeder, dropping feather light seeds by the hundreds from each pod. Another negative, it attaches to walls by tiny stem roots that may rip off dimes sized bits of paint when removed. Hummingbirds and bees love it.

Negative patriciabs On Aug 7, 2013, patriciabs from Huntsville, AL wrote:

This vine was growing in our Virginia pines at our Christmas Tree Plantation in Lacey's Spring, AL. The day after I spent an hour or so pulling this vine from our trees, I noticed a rash that is driving me crazy. Today is Day 5 and it itches unmercifully and is not getting better! What can I do to get rid of the rash and ease the itch? I hate this plant!

Neutral Sue78597 On Jul 24, 2013, Sue78597 from Ingram, TX wrote:

We live in the Hill Country of Texas and have a problem with the deer eating ornamental plants. Does anyone know if they eat Trumpet Vine?

Negative jennylove On Jul 11, 2013, jennylove from Flemington, NJ
United States wrote:

Hindsight is 20/20 ... I didn't do any research, and had no idea this was a potential invasive ... but I probably wouldn't have believed anything bad about this plant anyways ... I planted in the ground, let mother nature take care of it (meaning: i didn't water, fertilize, or pay any special attention to it), and within the first two years it was beautiful & everything i'd hoped it would be. And for the past 5-6-7 years, it continued to grow nicely; we were able to keep a tightly maintained tree-top canopy full of flowers on a single trunk over a small sturdy arbor at the gated entrance to our 50'x100' garden on our 5-Acre property ... BUT... the plant is now in its 8th-9th year, and is RELENTLESSLY SPREADING, UNDERGROUND, POPPING UP EVERYWHERE, 20', 30', 50', 70' away from the handsome-and-neatly-maintained main tree/trunk. Let the nightmare begin! While we did pull the occasional random sprouters in years prior, it's evident there were a lot more out of our sight, and that they've been multiplying & running farther & farther underground, and now the armies of strong vines are emerging en mass in our vegetable garden, among neighboring shrubs, out past our property into unmaintained woods. [i repeat, ALL FROM ONE WELL-MAINTAINED TREE-TRUNK] Maybe in a mowing area, the runners can be maintained? I doubt it though, I'll bet you they just run further, staying underground, away from the mower and into some other area where they can safely surface & thrive. Unfortunately, without experiencing it first-hand, people often can't appreciate the utter DISBELIEF AND FRUSTRATION (aka: how did this get all the way over here, oh my gosh there's so many, ugh and they don't want to come out) that an invasive (aka: nearly uncontrollable) plant can cause and all the TIME, DILIGENCE & LABOR it requires to get a landscape back to something manageable, something you enjoy, you know back to the "joy" of gardening. (I'm also battling Wisteria planted by former homeowner, and some comfrey from my mom. Add some bamboo & I think I'd sell the house & move ;) Thank you to this forum, it may have shed some light onto my husband's frequent & severe "poison ivy" issue, I'll have to do some more photo research to see if some of his reactions may have been caused by the trumpet vine?

Positive jbuk On Mar 2, 2013, jbuk from dartford
United Kingdom wrote:

My Grandson bought me one of these at the end of last year, I have kept it in a pot in the Greenhouse, I am going to plant it when weather bucks up a bit,I hope here in Kent U.K. it won't be so invasive, anyway i am 75 so someone else will have to deal with the problem in the future Ha! Ha!

Positive Columbine57 On Nov 4, 2012, Columbine57 from Austin, TX wrote:

My mother ordered the first plant over 20 years ago. I think it was just part of a root. I planted it for her, in front of the middle of the brick wall on the front of my house. It grew, Had to find a way to support it, because we wanted it to grow up the wall but it couldnt get a hold of the brick I guess. I put up a piece of chicken wire and the plant took off. It has grown and expanded its area to cover the area near the house to the West of where it was planted. Since the front door is back from the front wall, it grew back into the area where the front door is. The screen is a wrought iron frame, the vine is working hard to cover that with my encouragement. When it starts to hang out into the open air, I wrap it around and tuck it into the iron works. Most would call it invasive but I love this plant. It grows where I cant get anything else to grow. It does draw in the butterflies and bees, I dont have a problem with either. Its working on climbing a metal garden bench/trellis, and I hope to keep circling the vine until the bench is covered. Ive collected the seeds, which I hope will take root in the front yard, the only thing that seems to grow out there is weeds, and as much as I like this plant, I hope it takes over.

Neutral SuburbanNinja80 On Aug 6, 2012, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

Nice... when its in the Woods but, not at a Pool.... I Freaking hate this Vine.

Positive ScarletRed On Jun 16, 2012, ScarletRed from El Paso, TX wrote:

I have read extensively about the trumpet vine before buying it. I live in El Paso Texas were it is very dry and hot so I decided to give it a try. In this climate unless you water it, the plant will not make it. I actually LOOK for invaseive plants because I have found they are more likely to do well when the El Paso summer temperatures hit over 100. Well I must say I have been very pleased with my trumpet vine. The first summer it wrapped around my rectangular shaped column within about two months. Ironically it did most of its growing when it was the hottest and driest. I went and bought another one. I also got one for my mom since she has a long railing she wants it to grow on. The first year I only got one bushel of blooms, but now I have multiple. I hope it grows over my roof because I have some ANNOYING pigeons I want the trumpet vine to choke out. Here in the desert I live not many things grow too well so it is actually a relief to have a plant like this one. I understand it can be a pest where you receive regular rain, but the only rain my garden sees regularly is from my garden hose.

Positive pallietx On Mar 27, 2012, pallietx from Castroville, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I lived in New York about an hour north of Manhatten for almost 30 years. I had 3 trumpet vines all at the side of and under the deck on the house. I never had any problems with the plant as long as seed pods were removed before they ripen and the plant cut back each spring before new growth developed. That was what I was taught to do from my grandmother who had a trumpet vine for over 50 yrs. in Texas. She never had any problems with it straying or messing anything up. When the new owners bought her house I gave them instructions on the care of the vine. I visited the my grandmother's old house a few years ago after moving back to Texas and they still have the same trumpet vine with no problems.

Neutral Kjoygardenmum On Mar 17, 2012, Kjoygardenmum from Sheridan, OR wrote:

Had to put neutral due to lack of experience with this. I wanted to plant this soooo bad! It's drop dead gorgeous, has lovely foliage and is a plant that is supposed to be wonderful for hummingbirds and have some herbal use as well. So I bought seeds and there are a dozen or more under my growing lights as I sit here. I understand the positive comments but was seriously impacted by the negative ones ( I always wondered why it was called cow itch vine). So here I make my solemn vow. I promise to dump everyone of those little devils into the trash as soon as I am done typing, Amen!

Neutral NebraskaFarmer On Mar 1, 2012, NebraskaFarmer from Shickley, NE wrote:

For those struggling to control Trumpet Vine, you can use Tordon RTU. Whenever you cut off a sprout or vine, apply the liquid liberally to the stump. It's best in the fall as the plant is storing nutrients and will carry the herbicide down into the roots for an effective kill. You do need to be careful about other nearby woody plants as it will damage them too if you get it near their roots. It will not harm grasses.
Tordon RTU is a premixed version of Tordon 22K and is legal for home use in the United States. (Tordon 22K requires a license for purchase.)
Tordon will work much better than Roundup on woody plants.

Negative Ryliethereddog On Jan 8, 2012, Ryliethereddog from Granite City, IL wrote:

My neighbor has this plant in his yard at the corner of his privacy fence. My fence is attached to his. This plant has physically grown into his fence. I have had to vigilant each year with this thug to be certain that I cut this thing off of my fence.
This plant has sent shoots up into my yard 30 feet away from the main plant. I have dug, pulled and cut the shoots without success. I have cut the shoots and "spritzed" the remaining stems with Round-up killing a bush in my yard in the process. Nothing has worked.
This plant is indeed invasive!!!!

Negative DaveRF On Jul 15, 2011, DaveRF from North Zanesville, OH wrote:

Invasive is the operative word. Living in a mobile home park, my now deceased neighbor had a trellis installed on our property line for privacy, you guessed it, the garden center planted a trumpet vine. FF several years and the neighbor passed on, the new neighbor now has a "healthy" trumpet vine he says he's trying to control. I made the mistake of "pruning it back" in June (he told the police I "attacked" his trumpet vine) and it promptly thanked me with lush vegetation, blooms, and more runners now appearing throughout my yard, on the other side of my home, to the point I pointed my landlord to your website to learn about what a potential problem they have on their hands. We are in our sixties, one way or the other won't be here either of us and they will have a "benign thug" to deal with taking over this part of a well kept, inexpensive mobile home park.
I blogged on to add Zanesville, OH. to the list of places "founded" by the trumpet vine - and add my corroboration to both pros and cons.

Negative pastapicker On Jul 5, 2011, pastapicker from Columbus, OH wrote:

It takes 3-4 years for it to mature to the point of producing bloom, and another year or 3 before it starts to spread. Keep that in mind when reading of other's experiences who say that it is easy to control or they have had no problem.

BUT the vines are very strong and heavy, and will invade and damage structures within 20 feet and farther --like into crawl spaces, under siding, pavement and patios. Including those of your neighbors.

Cold weather does not "control" it. I have sprouts after a winter with temps to -20F, years after the main plant was cut down.

The roots are extremely strong --they start tiny and develop into arm-sized aggressive spreaders 2-3 feet underground. The more you cut or dig out the visible sprouts, the farther and more widely the roots will go looking for a hospitable spot. It may appear to be controlled by mowing and pruning but the underground spread is continuing and increasing. Any individual root segment will continue to grow, even if never allowed to produce above ground growth (ie cutting down any sprout within a day or two of appearing).

I am in my 4th year of fighting it over a 20 foot radius from the original plant. When a sprout appears I dig down (2 to 3 feet!) to expose as much of the the main root as I can manage, cut it out and apply brush-b-gone to the soil to try to catch any connecting roots. Invariably there are branches that I don't see that survive beyond the die-off -- seems it doesn't absorb or carry the poison far beyond the point of appication-- and continue the aggression.

I would only plant this (in ground) in a metal container, with drain holes covered with fine strong metal mesh, and then only far away from any desirable structure or other landscaping . It still might be able to break through that over time. Then you must also prune off any seed pods.

UPDATED 2014: I thought that I had won my battle with it last year when I found only one little sprout early and destroyed it and the root beneath. Alas, this past month I discovered 3 healthy sprouts in various spots. For the record, this is now 7 years after I destroyed the original planting and all roots (spreading up to 20 feet away) that I could find, digging up a large garden bed in the process.

Neutral TXBay On Jul 4, 2011, TXBay from Palacios, TX wrote:

during these days of extreme drought in Texas we've depended on our trumpet vine to protect the critters who depend on areas of shade to live. Chameleons especially
need areas where they can cool down. At first we weren't pleased to have to deal with a self seeded trumpet vine but now we realize it houses a world of creatures who are depending on it to survive the drought.

Positive Daylily_Diva On Jul 4, 2011, Daylily_Diva from Santee, CA wrote:

I live in SoCal and have two of these planted at opposite ends of my yard and, yes, they are slow growing the first year or so but then they really take off. I have pruned them back hard every spring and - since the bloom on new growth - get lots of flowers. My only seemingly unique comment is that - on the same root stock - on the same stem - there will be bright red flowers and also brilliant purple ones at the same time. No nurseryman or our landscapers have seen anything like it - it's really beautiful in full bloom. Have any of you heard of this before?

Neutral pennylen On Jul 4, 2011, pennylen from Russellville, AR wrote:

I have this growing on a pergola over my patio...next to my house. Not a good place to have it since it really likes to climb over my roof. We prune it severly to keep it off the roof spring and fall. I will say it does attact hummingbirds very well and bumble bees and I am all for those pollinators coming around. Another problem I see is trumpet vine starts pop up everywhere from the rizomes being underground. I just keep cutting them off and have resigned myself to this little chore being part of having the vine. I got my vine on a back road growing on a pole and the rest, as they say, is history! LOL It covers a pergola very well along with my Lady Banks rose and provides wonderful shade and brown thrushes and cardinals make their nests every year there, so all in all, it has its usefulness. Russellville, Arkansas Zone 7

Positive atacatsa On Jul 4, 2011, atacatsa from Pleasanton, TX wrote:

I will admit it can spread, but it is no worse than the passion vine. I think, from reading the comments, that it may be like the mesquite tree which is native here, but can be invasive. I learned that if you cut a mesquite tree down, it has buds under the soil which then sprout making a single trunk tree into four or five. Farmers swear that a mixture of diesel fuel and remedy will kill mesquites. You have to have a pesticide license to buy some of these things and they are expensive. You might check with your county extension agent as to how to eliminate the plant if you don't like it. It also takes three or four years to bloom and there are new cultivars which are not so invasive and have larger flowers.

Positive chery11e On Jul 4, 2011, chery11e from Plymouth, WI wrote:

Cheryle from Plymouth, WI
This is my 6th year having a trumpet vine. At 4 yrs. I finally got flowers on it....not many. The fifth year it got a lot. It grows bigger every year. I have it on a trellis behind my fountain....am planning on getting another trellis several feet away, and training it to go over there......away from my deck. So far, it has stayed where I planted it. No extra shoots in the lawn or rock garden. I haven't had a problem with the itchies. It is beautiful when in bloom. Wish me luck.

Neutral noelpne On Jul 4, 2011, noelpne from Lancaster
United Kingdom wrote:

Here in Northern England, I 'm not a user ( which is why I'm
a neutral ) --- but I suggest that this plant is used in an as big container/pot as possible, with a watering/drip tray underneath, to give the plant both a large reserve of soil + to isolate it from the real ground.

Regarding the use of Round-Up - perhaps something in the Armory that is stronger that this could be tried? What else
can be utilised verses e.g. Japanese Knotweed in the USA ? We also use Picloram ( " Tordon 22K" ), Triclopyr
( " Garlon 4 " ) & 2,4-D ( In a mixture with Picloram "Atladox HI " or Triclopyr & Dicamba "Broadshot ")
Imazapyr (" Arsenal " / " Chopper" /"Assault " has been withdrawn in the UK but may be o.k. to still buy in the USA ) and there is also Sodium chlorate.

Over here, as well as Glyphosate ("Roundup") - the pesticides Clopyralid ( "Transline" by Dow ) is used against
Giant Hogweed. That might act on that Trumpet vine, I dunno.
You may not be able to get some or all of those in the USA
these days, - but I think they are all stronger than Roundup/Glyphosate.
You may have to ask the proffessional herbicide companys;- these chemicals may not be available on the U.S domestic market .

Negative Phoolan On Jul 4, 2011, Phoolan from San Luis Obispo, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

NEGATIVE NEGATIVE NEGATIVE

I bought a home in South Texas which had trumpet vine well established along the fence of the back yard. It was impossible to tell how old it was, but the fence was densely covered and it had entirely overtaken a telephone pole, with vines traveling both directions along the wires. There was evidence of it having been removed from the garage prior to my owning the property. The vine was cracking my swimming pool 20 feet from the fence. I thought I could cut it back and co-exist with it while I reclaimed the part of the garden where it was sprouting.

How wrong I was.This plant is a thug.

I tried Round-up. Nothing. I cut it and tried to dig it out. I discovered roots as thick as my forearm zigzagging everywhere and as deep as 3 feet. For all I know, it could have been deeper, but that was as far as I was willing to go.
I dug a deep trench both sides of the fence and wherever I could tease the main roots out, I'd cut them but leave about a foot of root sticking up above ground and then I'd apply stump killer. Every week, I'd cut away the dead section until I got to healthy tissue and reapply.

It was war for a year: digging, spraying and repeated applications of stump killer. I had to delay the installing the garden while this went on. Finally a year and a half ago, I went ahead and planted. The garden looks great.

Yesterday I found sprouts coming up in the patio bricks.
Do yourself and everyone else a favor, especially in a mild climate, plant a different vine.

Did I say negative?

Negative wakingdream On Jul 4, 2011, wakingdream from Allentown, PA wrote:

I grew the Trumpet Vine from a cutting taken from my mother's birthplace in Afton VA. In my zone 6 Pennsylvania garden, it has grown "successfully", swallowing a basketball pole, a shed, three large shrubs and is trying to cross the open easement into my neighbor's hedge.

After 15 years of growing this without allergic incident, my husband and I were simultaneously assaulted with a hideous attack of itching after we pruned and chipped up branches, both woody and soft growth. The chipper bag itself continued to cause itching and was repeatedly rinsed and even soaked to remove the allergens.

Although it blooms attractively, placement of this vine on your property should be carefully considered. Nothing of value should be near it as it will swamp over everything like a thick green wave.

Negative dottieskipper On Jul 4, 2011, dottieskipper from Montgomery, AL wrote:

Kill it, Kill it, Kill it. I am not allergic to any other plant, not poison ivy, ect. But this Cow-Itch vine will cause me to lose sleep for 6 weeks even touching through a garden glove. You only have the smallest of red spots, but it will spread throughout your blood street until you are screaming MERCY> As I said, killl it, kill it, kill it. Nature keeps it alive enough, don't add to the problem.

Negative roipolloi On May 24, 2011, roipolloi from Morton, PA wrote:

PLEASE don't plant this unbelievably invasive plant! I planted this at my old house against the light pole and when I found it removed one day I was angry. Now I realize that whoever took it away did me a big favor!

When I moved into my current house I planted another one next to my new pole. The first year it did little. When it grew high enough to arch over it began to bloom - profusely. I found out that it was the talk of the neighborhood and that everyone admired it. Then one spring I discovered to my dismay that it had suddenly sprouted volunteers around my front lawn. The roots had gone under the sidewalk. The day after every weekly cutting it would already be sticking up over the grass. I tried pulling them out but they broke off at the soil line and would sprout up shortly after and were angling toward my boxwood from both sides.

At the same time as the vine was spreading, my house was invaded by ants, not just outside by inside. They were swarming all over my kitchen and in my refrigerator. I called an exterminator and he said it was the worst infestation he had ever seen. He wanted a lot of money to fix the problem. I removed as much of the original plant as I could, had a landscaper pull out as much of the thick, traveling root as he could, and have sprayed every resurgence with roundup on a daily basis ever since. Also the ants are gone from the house without the exterminator.

Recently I visited my next door neighbor who told me that she had snatched seed pods from the plant and showed me one growing in her yard. I told her why I removed the lovely vine and asked if I could dig hers up, but she declined. I hope I'm not fighting this plant to the end of my days.

Positive tstephenj On Apr 14, 2011, tstephenj from Pittsburgh
United States wrote:

I have two trumpet vines growing along my privacy fence. I've never had a problem with either of them over the past ten years or so. Sure, they sprout a bit from the root system but this has never been a problem. Those sprouts get mowed or occasionally pulled and by fall they stop growing back.

If you've ever had a black locust cut down, you've probably experienced very aggressive growth from the remaining root system -- sometimes sending up a dozen or two new trees, but the trumpet vine doesn't even compare . . . though the vine itself is pretty zesty when it comes to growing, the offshoots are minimal. Still, like a lot of plants, it requires some measure of maintenance. If you don't want to mess with it, then it's probably not for you.

Personally, I feel the rewards of this vine outweigh the menial amount of work it requires.

For example, the vine provides excellent privacy . . . if allowed to grow. The vines can become bushy, tall, and thick with leaves and flowers. It's a very, very attractive vine, very lush, and the hummingbirds would probably agree. The vine flowers constantly through the summer and fall seasons, and lots of flowers means lots of hummingbirds. Also, it's native to my area, though I've never actually seen one in the wild, so it's a good feeling knowing that I'm helping to both restore and provide a natural native habitat for the lifeforms at large.

Positive Cchicken On Mar 28, 2011, Cchicken from Dexter, ME wrote:

My suggeation is to use the same method we did to erradicate Bamboo. Cut to root level, cover with black plastic, weigh down [ we used rocks], leave on for 2 years. The plant needs light to grow!

Neutral SEIGOBUNCH On Feb 10, 2011, SEIGOBUNCH from Port Saint Lucie, FL wrote:

HELLO EVERYONE!
I'VE ENJOYED READING THE INFO ON THE TRUMPET VINE, THANK YOU! I WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO YOUR COMMENTS. I'VE OWN THIS VINE FOR ALMOST THREE YEARS. I'VE ALWAYS KEPT IT IN A POT WITH A FOURTH OF THE POT IN THE GROUND WITH A TRELLIS ATTACHED TO SUPPORT THE GROWTH. ABOUT THE GROWTH, I'VE HAD JUST ENOUGH TO COVER THE TRELLIS WHICH IS ABOUT 5 FT. I'VE NEVER CUT THIS VINE AND WATERED IT SPARINLY. IT HAS NEVER HAD
FLOWERS. HOWEVER, IT LEAVES APPEAR TO BE
HEALTHY AND GREEN. SO MAY BE THE WAY TO CONTAIN THIS BEAUTIFUL VINE IS TO KEEP IT POTTED. SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK!
THANKS ONCE AGAIN!

Negative CrossvineCrazy On Oct 26, 2010, CrossvineCrazy from Plano, TX wrote:

We liked the occasional color on this vine and had four Crossvines planted by the fence in our backyard. It grows well in the Dallas area and requires occasional trimming. I never had any problem with suckers or spreading until I replaced our fence and decided to eliminate the crossvines. I first cut them off and left the stumps. I decide to dig out the root on one of them - a big mistake. It was a big contorted mass, but I thought I had pretty much gotten it out. Wrong! After a couple months, I saw several vines come up a few feet away back in the pool equipment area. Then as the summer progressed, they came up everywhere - in the lawn, the landskaping, further and further away. I finally resorted to RoundUp, but they keep coming back. I found this forum hoping to find a solution. From what I read here, the solution seems to be to sell the house and move to another place. The plants that I did not try to remove the root have sent out some new shoots, but not as agressively as the one where I did.

Negative OntarioGal On Sep 12, 2010, OntarioGal from Chatham

I live in southwestern Ontario, Canada. About 15 years ago I received a flyer in the mail about this vine. The pictures showed a gorgeous plant with beautiful flowers and I though this would be a wonderful addition to our backyard along our wooden fence. I bought two and when they arrived in the mail, they looked like dead sticks of wood. I complained and the company sent me two more. I never imagined these 4 dead looking sticks of wood would have grown into the monster they are today!

This vine has become a nightmare! While iy provided privacy and produced beautiful flowers every summer, we have had to trim it 3 to 4 times every summer because it is drawn toward our house, the roof, the eaves and facia. It has even started shooting out from the siding of our garage. The endless shoots sprouting up all over the yard develop roots very quickly that are hard to pull out. The hotter the temperature, the faster this vine grows. I am convinced it can grow 2 or 3 feet in one day!

After a strong wind earlier in the spring, the entire top of this vine that stretched along our fence toppled over. We cut it all down to the base and hoped this would stop any future sprouts. No, this thing just keeps sprouting new shoots everywhere. It's also been growing in the crawl space of a new addition we put on our house and shooting up between the siding on the base of the addition.

We drilled holes in the stumps and poured salt thinking this would kill the main trunk, and killing the roots. No, still growing shoots.

Today we noticed some small areas in our ashphalt driveway heaving. When we removed the top piece of ashphalt, there were several shoot trying to come up through the ashpalt!

I've read round up does not work either. Today, we got desperate enough to pour a little bit of gas into the holes of the base. Years ago, that was something farmers used to get rid of unwanted growth. I'm not advocating this at all, but when you get desparate to get rid of this very destructive vine, we had to try something different.

If this doesn't work, we will dig up around the base and try to remove as much as possible and pour hot white vinegar and salt into the area.

If I had known this plant was so invasive, destructive and so much work, I would have grown morning glories!

If you have a farm with a fence row several hundred feet away, that would be the only option I would suggest for anyone to plant a trumpet vine.

Good luck to the others who are trying to kill of this growing machine, it doesn't go easy.

Neutral Feather10 On Jul 10, 2010, Feather10 from Debary, FL wrote:

I have to agree that this plant is quite invasive. I have one growing on my east side fence. I never planted it. I guess a little bird left it as a gift. I trim it back severly every year and it seems to keep it under control. The orange flowers are beautiful and attract hummers and butterflys. Cutting it back produces more flowers. It is growing in sandy soil and I totally neglect it except to trim it back yearly. It does wonderful.

Negative msdawn On Jul 2, 2010, msdawn from Southaven, MS wrote:

HORRIBLE! We moved into our house 3 years ago & the next thing we know we have this vine ALL over our landscaping. We spent hours spraying it with roundup which did absolutely nothing. The next step was pulling it up...back again. It grows very very very quickly! It has choked out our evergreen trees in the landscape & has taken over our other bushes. A month ago I cleaned the landscape as best I could wrapped roots, the main roots, in plastic baggies with Roundup & some how it is still growing new vines. I have had THREE landscaping people come out to take care of it and hundreds of dollars later it is NO better! HELP! Not to mention I broke out in a horrible rash from it! Ha, it just keeps giving!

Neutral zackhi On Jun 16, 2010, zackhi from Roselle, IL wrote:

Does anyone know where i can get an old one and/or one that has been blooming?

Neutral PatsyK9 On Jun 15, 2010, PatsyK9 from Lannon, WI wrote:

I live NW of Milwaukee. I planted a trumpet vine 3 years ago and it has yet to grow any bigger than about 3' tall and has not spread. It is not in the sunniest spot but has a lovely chain link fence I would love it to grow onto - it just doesn't seem to get big enough. Will it take more time? Also do these plants have different leaf shapes. Some of the photos look like mine but many do not. Mine is almost a fern like leaf.

Positive vark On Jun 2, 2010, vark from Rosamond, CA wrote:

We live in a hot arrid area of Souhern California. There are several of these vines growing on the property against fences and walls, all of the orange variety. We love the beauty they provide and have non of the invasive problems many complain about. It's a shame for them because this vine produces a gorgeous flower that glows against the dark green leaves.
I do have one problem though. I've tried digging up and transplanting outgrowth from runners at the base of the plant and last year I bought and planted a 3 foot high trumpet vine. Non of them have taken. All of them shrivel and die within a month or two. I watered everyday the first three days then slowly cut back the watering depending on the heat of the day, usually two to three times a week. The first few weeks I would shade them from afternoon sun. Three weeks after planting I would fertilize once with either Miracle Grow or liquid fish meal. We have clay desert soil but when planted I would dig a two foot by one foot hole filling with planting soil. I understand clay soil doesn't drain well so I tried to limit the amount of water to one gallon every watering. Any tips?

Negative Wodie On May 20, 2010, Wodie from Hendersonville, NC wrote:

Don't plant this vine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My father planted one about 10 years ago and now it has taken over our yard underground. First it grew up our chimney and flowered so pretty year after year. My dad would cut it back completely every three years. It started to send runners out into our border and we would rip them up but then we realized about 4 years ago that it keeps throwing them out further and further and you cannot actually rip it out. If you leave just an inch of root it will continue to grow. I have spent the last 4 years trying to get rid of it and it is still growing!!! Last year we completely tore out our 10 ft by 25 ft border (shrubs, flowers, trees, trumpet vine) and then covered it with a thick layer of card board and then mulched it 4 inches deep and it still grew under that and found the light and popped up every where! This year I completely spaded the border and foot deep and pulled out every little root I saw, it took me 3 weeks of work several hours every day to do that. Five overflowing wheel barrow fulls of roots from this one vine I dug from the ground and it is still popping up! It is in my grass too, so that means it will just grow back into my border. I guess I will have to rip it up in my grass also. Help!!!

Neutral thanksabunch On May 12, 2010, thanksabunch from Chewelah, WA wrote:

I am posting neutral as not to sway the numbers.... I have ordered a few of these plants for a sloping hillside I want to cover for erosion control. After reading all of your comments, I am very happy that I stopped here before planting. I WILL NOT be planting my new arrivals, instead I will chuck them in the trash (and after reading all the horror stories, maybe beautify the landfill, as it seems, these things will thrive, multiply, and take over anywhere). I appreciate those who have had success, but after dealing with and finally conquering (5 years and a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and money later) horsetail in Wester WA, I am not taking any chances.

Positive Alley660 On Apr 5, 2010, Alley660 from Dublin, VA wrote:

We have had this vine growing on a fence line at the back of my grandmothers lawn for 30+ yrs ( or so I am told ) and have never had any problems with it being invasive. Our vine was here before the house was built but has stayed where it is welcome and left the rest of the property alone. It grows beautifully with honeysuckle and up several mature, healthy trees. Plant it in an area where you can mow around it and away from any buildings :-).

Negative plant_tender On Mar 26, 2010, plant_tender from De Pere, WI wrote:

Vines, or any type plant which has a vining nature, tends to NOT like excessive acidity. Hence, to kill an invasive vine, use straight cheap white *Vinegar*. 'Feed' it to the thirsty; roots, stems, leaves. Diligently repeat as necessary, don't give up! It severely damages, & often kills vining type plants, even faster than round up. Used in conjunction with round up, it may work even better, especially when applied on a hot sunny day. I have managed to kill off even the more dreaded hideously invasive, 'Virginia Creeper Vine - Parthenocissus quinquefolia', via this method. (30' long root system, with 1" thick roots, & vined up our 50' tall tree, choked it out & killed it). It took years of using round up repeatedly, with no lasting results, ... until I learned of vinegars effects on vines, ... & once I used that, ... the invader was dead within 2 summer seasons, after over 10 years of previously failed efforts.

Neutral Lisasflowerz On Mar 14, 2010, Lisasflowerz from Panama City Beach, FL wrote:

What if I were to plant this in my garden but in a pot? Do you think it would still propagate? Is it the seeds that spread or the root system?

Neutral sleazeweazel On Jan 19, 2010, sleazeweazel from Bell, FL wrote:

I often wondered why Campsis radicans was also called Cow itch vine, as I had handled the fresh plant many times barehanded with no problem. Then one day I decided to use a chain saw to cut down a big dead Campsis vine to use it in an orchid display. After making several cuts I became aware of intense itching which soon spread all over my body. The fibers in the stem were like some kind of allergenic asbestos that had been thrown into the air by the chain saw. I didn't stop itching for a week!

The only worse mistake I have made was to cut down lots of Poisonwood (Metopium toxiferum) in the Bahamas with a dull chainsaw. The poison volatilized and blasted me directly in the face. I and the rest of the crew had to be medicallly evacuated off the island!

Negative novalee518 On Oct 15, 2009, novalee518 from East Greenbush, NY wrote:

Trans-Planted this thing after it took over the vynl siding at the front of our house. Planted it against an above ground pool hoping for some privacy vines IF it survived the trans-planting. Well, it loved the spot! After three yrs., vines were growing over the pool railing and reaching for the pool water. We also began to notice some "lines" under the bottom of the pool vinyl. That's right! The da** thing was "rooting" under our pool! Dug it out two years ago and it is STILL growing from under the pool cover. Applied several doses of roundup to the roots I dug up and the "sprouts" that were showing up all over the lawn around the pool. Now it's a waiting game to see how long it can survive our attacks. Moral of the story....Be VERY careful of where you plant this lovely bush. You know how male black widow spiders are attracted to the female? You also know what she does to them! That's what the trumpet vine does to adoring fans.

Negative hollyhocklady On Oct 2, 2009, hollyhocklady from Shepherdsville, KY wrote:

I could not have said it any beyyer then Pat_in_Michigan.
I ordered this monster 4 years ago. I did not know about it then. Well it is a monster that has took over. All this year I have been digging up the roots & this thing still comes up all over my yard. I poured round up on it & I think it did kill the big tree like vine but there's more coming up. GRRRRRRRRRRRR I hate this thing!

Positive cellistry On Aug 18, 2009, cellistry from Portland, OR wrote:

I have nothing but positive comments on the Red Trumpet Vine. On my property, it is leaning on a wooden fence/wall, growing between a rock retaining wall and the cement driveway. It has been there for decades, get a regular winter pruning, and comes back like regular in the late spring. It is not invasive in this area or at least in my yard. The only exception is the occasional sprout a few feet away, but they're very wimpy shoots I can pull out. I think it gets there from me being careless about clippings in the late fall/winter.

The hummingbirds and honeybees love it. I like providing for he wildlife. Plus, it contrasts nicely with the deep blue/purple hydrangea bush right below it. PLUS, the neighbor's lilac hibiscus shrub also attracts hummingbirds. I think it's not invasive if it is placed properly.

Positive hmingbrd On Aug 10, 2009, hmingbrd from Sebastian, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant was growing along the fenceline on the west side of my house when we moved in here over 20 yrs. ago, zone 9b/10a in East Central FL. I gave it a positive rating mainly because the Hummingbirds LOVE it! It also makes a good privacy screen.....my neighbor's house on the west side sits very close to mine. It has since worked it's way from my house near the front of the property almost to the back, (in a northerly direction) about 150', but hasn't tried to grow along the fence in the other direct, for some strange reason. It blooms all winter here and becomes a huge mass of bright orange color.

I am one of those who react badly to this plant, but only if I get all up in it and prune a bunch of it. It apparently is a reaction that I developed over time because the first time it happened was several yrs. into living here and I'd pruned it numerous times before this. But this one time I'd been pruning it for about an hour when I suddenly broke out in hives all over my body, even the bottoms of my feet!!.....and I also had trouble breathing. I almost had to call 911 but the benadryl finally kicked in and it subsided.

I have not had near the trouble with this plant that others have reported.....it hasn't tried to come up or grow anywhere but along the fence for me. It does need a good heavy pruning, done in the spring after it quits blooming. A few yrs. ago I tried to get one growing on the east side, outside of my kitchen window, so I could watch the Hummers while doing dishes! It got a lot of shade there though, and never did much growing or blooming. I left it there for 3 or 4 yrs. and finally pulled it up.....by then it had sent out some runners maybe 7-10' from the main plant but I pulled them up at the same time and never saw any more of it. My back yard is wide open so it would be easy for it to spread outwards but it hasn't. After reading all the previous negative reports, I would think I'm talking about a different plant.....but it looks EXACTLY like all the pictures. Maybe I just happened to get one that minds it's manners?....lol!

Negative Pat_in_Michigan On Jul 25, 2009, Pat_in_Michigan from Commerce Township, MI wrote:

EXTREMELY INVASIVE - BUYER BEWARE! Unfortunately, we're having a negative experience with our trumpet vine which was planted many years ago by a former owner. Although the flowers are beautiful and attract hummingbirds, it's actually more like something from a science fiction movie. Obviously, this should never have been planted where it is on our property. It has completely invaded garden areas and lawn that are 15-20 feet from the main plant, whose vines are like a solid tree trunk. Within the last couple of years we've realized that we're in trouble with this thing, and now after reading notes from others I'm worried that we'll be unable to kill it. There is no way to stay on top of the constant cutting back of the multiple shoots and vines that appear everywhere. I appreciated reading advice from other gardeners about how to try to get rid of this invasive vine which we plan to do ASAP. It even thrives despite our harsh winters. My best advice is to never plant one of these, as it has a life of its own!

Neutral CharlieCarrah On Jul 24, 2009, CharlieCarrah from Losantville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant grows wild along the fence-rows in the country, where I live. I was seriously considering transplanting some of the trumpet vine from the "wild" to my property, but after reading these "horror" stories, I think I'll just admire it as I drive down my road to go to work! My hummingbirds can continue to drink from my feeders...

Neutral kathryn450 On Jul 15, 2009, kathryn450 from Palestine, TX wrote:

My note is neutral because I just obtained some cuttings and seed pods today because I love the color of the blooms. Plus, there was some growing at my parents' farm which was recently sold.

It grows all over East Texas and I think it will be very pretty on a trellis behind my butterfly bush which has beautiful purple blooms. I will post comments when and if I can get it to grow in my yard.

So far, I am excited about adding more color and providing another source to attract birds and butterflies to our back yard.

Does anyone know why it is called cow-itch?

Neutral KDGunstone On Jun 15, 2009, KDGunstone from Olympia, WA wrote:

Hello-

I recently moved into a home that has a trumpet vine growing in the foundation planting near the front door. It is relatively newly planted, as it still has the 'tags' on it from Lowe's. After reading the horrendous way it consumes gardens, and lives, should I pull it now?

I am also wondering, my impression I got from reading all of the comments about this behemoth, is that is seems to be 'invasive' in the south. Am I relatively safe, living here in Washington state? Honestly, I am not sure what zone I am in, but we are quite temperate in this Puget Sound area.

Has anyone any experience in the north with this plant? The variety, or cultivar, is "Madame Galen". Any advice, suggestions as to what to do? Thanks so much! Dara

Negative trmpetvinefiter On Jun 4, 2009, trmpetvinefiter from Dallas, TX wrote:

I am doing the Trumpet Vine dance for sure...it just popped up 3 yrs ago all by itself along my back fence. It placed itself in a spacial area that was actual great for viewing this beautiful but hell-acious twining vine. It has wrapped itself around itself about 3 or 4 times and looks quite good from afar. It seemed to be under control the first few years but NOW OH NO! It is popping up everywhere and ruining our wooden fence by spreading through the spaces. My husband thinks it's pretty. But he isn't out there cutting it back and cutting it back and cutting it back! This is the summer it has decided to take over North Dallas. I have noticed a number of seedlings popping up in my yard now..they are difficult to uproot so I generally just cut them down. But I have beautiful crepe myrtles in my along my fence and I am very afraid it will kill them. I suppose I will order some of that vine killer off the internet as someone else did and drill holes into the base of it. It is really huge and I have cut it back to a type of canopy..really pretty but scary at the same time.

Neutral mjsponies On May 29, 2009, mjsponies from DeLand/Deleon Springs, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I checked "Neutral", but only because this vine is not for the "feint of hear", you MUST pay attention to what is't doing. DON'T get it anywhere near a shrub, tree, bush, roof, of anykind what so ever,.,
Ok..those kinds of words to me mean" stick it in an "above" ground planter like an old wheelbarrrow, kids swimming pool, sandbox or ...be prepared to prune UNMERCIFULLY BIG OLD CHAINE SAW wROKS FOR ME RIGHT NOW ! Any one you don't feel like you d'eail mehave to go for the warribng,

Positive magicfrizbees On May 24, 2009, magicfrizbees from Lewis Center, OH wrote:

Plant it where you can control it away from flowerbeds and buildings! The grandparents had it growing up a telephone pole. The parents had it growing on the garage (a mistake). I've got one (a descendant) that has been growing on the mailbox for fifteen years. I trim it back to the main branches (some as thick as your arm) each spring and lop off any unruly shoots during the season.

Lots of volunteers, from seeds and from the roots. But I just mow them off. The flowers are gorgeous and the hummingbirds love them!

Neutral giftgas On May 5, 2009, giftgas from Everson, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

OK, I am going to be the first to admit this:

I can't grow a trumpet vine. It doesn't grow where I live, not even in direct sunlight, and I've tried 6 different sources, all of them were the invasive "uncultivated" versions.

Neutral grrrlgeek On Mar 8, 2009, grrrlgeek from Grayslake, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Even if one believes a native can't be invasive--just because it's native in one place doesn't mean it is next door. For instance, in NH, it is native in only 1 county. In VT, it's not native at all. Here in IL, it is native in many counties but not in the one where I live. If the seeds get blown into the next county, it is then invasive even by that definition. I was given these seeds and may start one in a container on the porch but may just throw them out.

Negative britbrighton On Sep 29, 2008, britbrighton from Ancram, NY wrote:

I bought an older home that already had trumpet vine growing around the house, which at FIRST we thought looked quite charming. No more! We have a very low deck and each year it comes up from under it and crawls up the side of my house to the roof pushing up the deck boards and ripping up the siding and gutters in its path. It has invaded the other sides of the house as well and made its way into our lawn. To add to the insult it only gave me one flower for all of the trouble it has caused! We tried digging it up but after a three foot trench around the house and endless 1' by 6" inch tubers and roots of it that we yanked out with MUCH work we gave up. There is still more of this creature spreading its tenticles around my gardens. I have planted heather and russian sage and other invasives and am hoping to choke out the vine. Err!!!

Positive gardensymphony On Sep 27, 2008, gardensymphony from Meadville, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is my first post on DG, and I must admit to really appreciating the wisdom and the wacky humor of DGers!!!

As far as Campsis Radicans grows, here are my thoughts:
- I planted a (bought) vine on the west side of a second story deck as I wanted to create summer shade over the doors/windows. 3 years later, it's still barely 5 feet over the railing.
- That's OK, as the narrow evergreens are starting to come up over the railing for the shade issue, but I must admit to loving the hummingbirds that now grace the deck!
- There are no suckers, or anything at the base. Maybe our winters are the controlling factor (we are 30 miles south of Lake Erie, in northwest PA).
- On the other hand, a neighbor has a vine that crawls up to the 3rd story each summer and never blooms.

Neutral gma6 On Sep 12, 2008, gma6 from West Chester, PA wrote:

I actually love the vine but I have had it for three years and it has never bloomed!

Neutral Honor_the_Earth On Aug 14, 2008, Honor_the_Earth from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

Two little comments I'd like to make to comments I've read here:
1) Please consider using a natural plant killer instead of Round-up or any other chemicals that are bad for the environment. Salt pellets, such as used in water softeners, work wonders. Dig up as much of the "mother" plant's root system as you can, then put the salt in there. It will travel through the root system and kill of much of the original plant. It will actually kill anything it touches so be careful to place the salt away from plants you want to keep. For hardy plants, a second treatment is sometimes required.

2) Regarding the alternative recipe suggestion for hummingbird feeders, please consider using raw sugar rather than white sugar. The reason sugar is white is because it's bleached - yes, bleach, as is chlorine - which is as bad for birds as it is for people and the environment.

Thanks,
Just another tree-hugger :-)

Positive Jiny On Jul 31, 2008, Jiny from Tokyo
Japan (Zone 10a) wrote:

From reading many of your bad experiences with this potentially nasty invader. may I suggest trying Campsis grandiflora 'Morning Calm. I have one here in Japan zone 9, it is far less invasive than most other trumpet vines and flowers orange pink from late May to
early October. Like most vines it requires good firm support and
regular pruning. Prefers a neutral or slightly acidic soil, best in full sun or partial shade. It has never self propagated from seed in my garden, that I am aware of but if you weed on a regular basis as I do then perhaps you'd never know. I do hope this is helpful to those of you that love
the flowers but hate the habit!

Neutral daylilyfanatic On Jul 16, 2008, daylilyfanatic wrote:

This palnt looks so good in pictures but i don't think i'm going to grow it know since it's so invasive.

Positive dclazel On Jul 9, 2008, dclazel from Georgetown, TX wrote:

I planted a trumpet vine between a wall and a sidewalk about 7 years ago and trained it up and over the edge of the garage roof and over my arched doorway. People often stop on the street to say how pretty it is. It attracts hummingbirds as they pass through in spring and fall.

In my area it blooms from Feb.-Nov. When the leaves fall off, I prune it back a little so it isn't spreading across the roof. I have found that it is not interested in going under the shingles; because of the lack of light, I guess. It does like to attach itself to the painted eaves, but it can be pulled away easily. Any remaining holdfasts can be lightly sanded and painted over and it looks as if they were never there. Last year it made its way under the sidewalk and began putting up shoots in the yard. I mow/mulch them along with the grass.

All in all, I love trumpet vine for its beauty and hardiness. I haven't found it to be too invasive to deal with.

Negative anderson49412 On Jun 30, 2008, anderson49412 from Fremont, MI wrote:

When we bought our current home I was so excited to see the vines on the chain link fence, now a year later I am sick because of the damage they have done to the fence and my neighbors garage. The vine has knocked the caps off the base posts at the corners of the fence, it has created much damage just to the fencing structure itself. My neighbor took a chain saw and cut the vine back to the top of our fence, a month later and the vine is back on his garage roof and into the soffits! As beautiful as the flowers are it is the most invasive plant I have every dealt with. It has taken over my back yard and am now finding shoots 300 feet away. My neighbor and I will be cutting this beast down during the winter and in the early spring will be digging in my garden to find the roots and will give them a boost of weed killer. Of course we will have to put the fence back together, too! I may try replanting this beast in a contained pot and see what happens. It is beautiful!

Negative pcjmgreene On Jun 25, 2008, pcjmgreene from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

We are renters in a house with a large trumpet vine "tree" on a chain link fence. For the people that say it is hard to get it to grow or that it is easy to keep on top of, I really feel that it must be a relatively new plant (ie. younger than five years old). I say this because it seems that while the beginning life of this plant seems no problem and then easy to keep on top of - eventually it becomes a darn hydra! Every time you cut off one root, eight more spring up in its place!!! I have now found serious (in other words bigger than my husband's thumb!) sprouts on the opposite side of my house from the darn plant. It gets everywhere. It is in BOTH of my neighbor's yards and I spend at least one to two hours EVERY week hacking away at the various sprouts that pop up everywhere. I often need to bring a small hack saw to get the "root" cut back and that is not the real root - I can't even find that! I spray it with the strongest stuff I can find at Home Depot and it laughs at me. I am a little nervous now when I hear leaves rustling at night and often check on my children expecting to find trumpet vine sprouting up in their bed. They are seriously trying to take over the world and are winning. In all seriousness, no matter what you think about it being easy at first, once it really gets a foothold you will never win. It will conquer your yard, house, and neighborhood. Please think at least five times before even thinking about buying this thing. And then buy something else. Kudzu would be preferable to this stuff!!

Negative skyvalleygal On Jun 17, 2008, skyvalleygal from Dillard, GA wrote:

Wow, I thought it was just me! We first purchased this plant to use as a screen for very high lattice under a deck. I was drawn to it specifically because it supposedly attracts hummers. In the 2 years we lived at that house, it spread but not so that I realized how invasive it would become. We built a new house and turned that house into rental property. Not realizing the invasive qualities of the plant, I again allowed my husband to buy a couple more and use them to run on an arbor over a swing. By the time we had lived in the new house a couple years, I began fighting the battle. Pulling up runners, dosing it with roundup, cutting it back severly with hedge clippers. My husband never acknowledged my fight. We have since sold both houses. When we went back to the 1st house after our tenants moved out, I was astounded by the aggressive growth of that original plant. It had killed a bank of junipers, ran under the stairwell down the bank, was coming up between, around and over the stairs and invaded the roses and shrubs on the opposite side. I cut it back as best I could and we sold the house. We have also sold the new house, moved to a new area and recruited a landscape designer, one of her questions was 'what plant(s) do you not like?". I only had 1 to say NO to: the trumpet vine! What a legacy I have left for those 2 poor unsuspecting homeowners.

Negative woodensandals On Jun 8, 2008, woodensandals from Merrick, NY wrote:

I am trying to rid my yard of this awful plant. It's a curse on the garden. It was planted at my house somewhere between 1958 and 1965 so "Audrey" is older and more established than I am. I'm not sure if I will win this battle.

It traveled under my solid cement front stoop. It is growing in 8 places right now. Considering it's been around so long I think it's been taking tips from terrorist supporting countries that build their base camps near schools with children. Every place it comes up is next to a plant I can't bear to harm. (my two old roses, and some very healthy azaleas)

Please, anyone thinking of planting this weed - Stop!
Buy a nice clematis or some harmless marigolds. Save yourself the lifelong battle.

Positive weatherguesser On Jun 6, 2008, weatherguesser from Salinas, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Mine is growing on a sturdy fence in a strip between the fence and a concrete walk so, as someone else said, it's sort of naturally restricted. It does try to take over the world, growing out every which way, but is fairly easy to control with constant pruning of the more aggressive creepers. It froze hard two winters ago and had to be cut way back and lost all its leaves; last year the leaves came back and this year it's blooming again. The hummingbirds in my yard love it.

Negative LHicks On May 23, 2008, LHicks from Charlotte, NC wrote:

I had this in a pot on my patio when we lived in a condo and although it had plenty of leaf growth, it never bloomed. Last spring, I planted it in a hill garden which is several feet behind the house. It had 1 bloom. this year it's coming up again and so far it's only growing in the hole that I planted it in. When I saw a note indicating it attracts Japanese Beetles, I felt sick. Those beetles tried to destroy my rose bushes last year and the last thing I want to do is attract them with little orange calling cards. Thankfully it's just beginning to grow and is only about 12" high. After reading the rest of the plant file information on this plant, I'm truly regretting the day I bought it. When I get home from work tomorrow, I'm going to dig it up, put it in a garbage bag, add some weed killer, throw it away and hope I caught it before it got a stronghold on my garden.

Neutral RustyStar On May 21, 2008, RustyStar from Redondo Beach, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

It's huge and grows all along the border between our house and the next. We've cut if way back, but it continues to grow and grow. Pretty and the hummingbirds seem to like it - but it's HUGE!!

Positive JuniorMintKiss On May 20, 2008, JuniorMintKiss from Tremonton, UT (Zone 6a) wrote:

My husband and I have two trumpet vines on our property since moving into our house last summer. Sadly, the previous homeowners were extreme nature lovers and let every plant on the property careen outta control (because it was "natural") and these vines were suffering for a good pruning. So we did that and now they're a treat to have.
Our house used to be a horse corral and so we have these iron pipe fences around our property. In the back are these two vines, all by their lonesome, and that's how they like to be. Yes, these vines are invasive, so keep one step ahead of them. If you are adamant about having one of these vines, please plant it in a nice secluded area, away from neighboring trees and your house or other wall (unless you'd like to have it grow there). That's why I am putting a positive on this plant because we have them planted so that they are by themselves and can do what they want. They also make a great privacy screen and that's what my husband and I are shooting for. Sadly, they do beckon ants. But I've never seen so many hummingbirds around as I did last year when they were in full bloom. Smell good too.
As far as rashiness...I was all over in them last year and I came away clean (but maybe that's just me). So just be careful where you plant and keep 'em pruned.

Positive MtnGardener On May 18, 2008, MtnGardener from Longmont, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have been nursing my two plants for 5 years. Last year was the first year that there any flowers of note. the bees went mad after it. The large tublar flowers are very showy. In my area it's more of a long caned shrub than a true vine. I've been trying to entice it to grow up the columns of our west facing porch. It's extremely slow growing, non invasive and a bit maddening as others report how fast this plant grows. It has no shade from noon on and is on a drip irrigation system.

Positive DLKeur On Apr 27, 2008, DLKeur from Sandpoint, ID wrote:

I haven't had one in 15 years, and I'd love to get another. I tried a start from someone's, and it didn't take, which rather surprised me, since I thought they were quite easy to start from cuttings.

When I had mine before I moved, it crawled up a big pine tree, too, like someone else here mentions. It was absolutely beautiful. I never had problems with it spreading, but that may be dumb luck since I planted it in a sunken plastic cargo container. If it is as invasive as suggested by some, I think I'd recommend planting it in a container sunken into the soil. I do that with a lot of my plants.

Negative kpr123 On Apr 6, 2008, kpr123 from Duncan, OK wrote:

I do not like them, Sam -I-am!
I do not like Campsis radicans.
Do not plant them here or there--
Do not plant them any where!!
(with profound and sincere apologies to Dr. Seuss)

The original plants are located over 150 feet at the south end of my block in a line of cedar trees. In my twenty-year nightmarish battle with this tenacious invasive I have seen it come up between the concrete and foundation of the neighbor's garage apartment, crack the concrete and cinderblock retaining wall around the outdoor storm cellar, and the roots have cracked both the walls and floor of the outdoor storm cellar. I have replaced the fence along the alley twice. I have had to take out two mature trees. This year I will most likely lose my 9 foot tall, twenty year old Damascus roses to it because the vines have been coming up at the roots and strangling them. My eight foot Midas Touch succumbed last year. The vines haven't come up in my Don Juans, but it's only a matter of time.
And the roots apparently go down to China.

As for the hummers...1 part white sugar to 4 parts water, boil 15 minutes. Do NOT add red food coloring. Replace every 2 to 3 days. They love it.

Negative guspuppy On Mar 20, 2008, guspuppy from Warren, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love the look of the plant and flowers, but it is way too invasive, comes up all through the yard by underground runners and we haven't come up with a way to contain it. I keep digging up the runners and/or spraying them with woody brush killer, it does help some without killing the main plant but OMG.lol
Kathy

Positive fredrump On Feb 20, 2008, fredrump from Naples, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I like the vine because it seems to bloom all the time and butterflys are constantly zooming all over it. I have the vine next to my driveway in front of a background of Cabbage palms. It is as invasive as any other vine and is probably better at home oin a large place where it can get full sun.

Positive lshields On Nov 18, 2007, lshields from Sag Harbor, NY wrote:

4 years ago we planted trumpet vine at various locations along a fence along with clematis and wisteria. Goal was to hide the fence and compete with extremely invasive asian climbing vine which is impossible to completely get rid of and also spread by birds eating its berries. The plan has worked for the most part but of the 3 vines trumpet vine grew the slowest and was the last vine to flower. But so far would do it again. Hoping to get more hummingbirds from it over time. The orange flower variety grew substantially faster than the yellow.

Update 11/2008
6th year produced many flowers on 1 plant that gets the most sun. A true hummingbird magnet, but absolutely essential to plant in a "safe" place where it can take over and go wild.

Negative creekwalker On Oct 27, 2007, creekwalker from Benton County, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

I absolutely HATED having this vine in my yard! I like seeing the pretty blooms, anywhere else. But I battled this weed for almost 20 years and never could get rid of it. Weed killer, breaking it off every time it would grow, etc. Once it grows big enough, there is almost no way to get that root out of the ground, and if any is left, it continues to grow!

It would grow on the side of my house and dig in to the paint and when it does that, there's no getting it off except for pulling the paint off too. Even when I finally put siding on my house, it grew behind the siding and up. I hate the stuff and would never plant it.

A friend wanted to grow some, and after warning her, I brought her some young plants but she was never able to get them to grow. How about that?

Neutral SimbiDlo On Sep 14, 2007, SimbiDlo from Snyder, TX wrote:

ehh, I gotta put neutral because I do like the flowers and all but the thing is so invasive! It attracts fire ants here and it is near impossible to kill. We have it completly covering our chicken pen and my grandmother has tried every legal herbacide to get rid of it, it just won't die!

Positive krissy_p On Aug 19, 2007, krissy_p from Pipe Creek, TX wrote:

I love this vine, the flowers are beautiful and it can cling to lattice or whatever so you dont have to tie it up and baby it. I dont consider it more invasive than most other vines I have grown.
I am actually surprised to see that people dislike this plant, and I am shocked that it causes skin reactions in some people; I have never had any kind of reaction to it.

Neutral gateatlantis On Jul 5, 2007, gateatlantis from Brewton, AL wrote:

I was wondering, in Alabama we have a vine called the Cow-itch Vine that grows out of control. Is the Trumpet Vine or Hummingbird Vine the same thing as the Cow-itch Vine.

Negative Ralleia On Jul 4, 2007, Ralleia from Plattsmouth, NE wrote:

This plant was already growing on a steep bank on our property, probably planted by a previous owner that thought it would eliminate mowing the bank. Unfortunately it spread rampantly to the grassy areas and started growing into the siding of the house, causing damage on removal. It also looks very messy sprawling over the bank.

I keep cutting it back but it keeps coming up. The spread of this plant is over 500 square feet. Last year I tried to dig out the root that went towards the house, following a shoot into the ground. I gave up when I got two feet down and still hadn't found the main root.

Last week I sprayed every part I could see with poison ivy killer. I plan to repeat at weekly intervals two more times, then cover the whole thing with black landscape fabric for a season before planting ornamentals.

I would not recommend the plant at all. It spreads even more effectively than poison ivy. It is the single most invasive plant I've ever dealt with. If it's bees, butterflies or hummingbirds you want, there are so many better and more manageable choices to bring them in. If you feel you must plant this vine anyway, take extreme measure to control the spread. I would recommend a 2+ foot deep physical barrier to discourage the roots from spreading.

Negative kevins432 On Jun 13, 2007, kevins432 from Merchantville, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

TRUMPET VINE CAN PENETRATE ASPHALT DRIVEWAY!!!

My neighbor, who has since moved, planted a trumpet vine 6 yrs. ago on our property line. It was placed about 2 feet from my cement driveway. Her intentions were to attract hummingbirds. That's nice, I thought.

Anyway, my cement driveway was cracking so I had it removed and replaced with a new asphalt driveway about 7 months ago.

To my dismay, 3 days ago my wife found a 10" long shoot from this trumpet vine that had pushed itself right up through the new asphalt. It left the asphalt looking like a mini volcano had erupted from it. So much for the nice new driveway look.

I dug around the host plants base to see if I could remove the vine but main root seems to be disappearing under the new driveway. Nice, huh? To top it off, the vine seems like its heading in the direction of our brand new addition.

I really didn't know anything about this beast so I scoured the Internet for some insight. What I found were many first hand accounts describing the aggressive/ destructive nature of this Beast.

* Spreads up to 40-50 ft from host plant
* Strangles plants, trees
* Invades gardens, robbing them of nutrients
* Ants love this plant
* Crawls up houses and gets under siding. Rips gutters from house
* Causes skin irritation in some cases
* Many, many more negatives

This research has led me to two conclusions. First, this plant should not be sold without explicit written instructions as to where it should be planted to reduce potential damage to their the purchasers and others property. (I never would have thought it could punch a hole up and through asphalt)

Secondly, local governments should enact zoning laws prohibiting this vine to be planted anywhere close (at least 50 ft) to anothers property.

I'm sure my ex-neighbor didn't realize what a Pandora's box this would turn out to be but she's gone now and I'm stuck with the problem. If she were provided with detailed information about the veins destructive tendencies I would bet she would not have selected it.

I have not read anywhere on the web that this vine could penetrate asphalt driveways so I thought I'd let all of you know of just how aggressive this innocent looking plant can be.

If you're thinking about planting this near your house or someone else's property, youd better think twice about it. This vine is NOT WORTH IT. There are different vines out there to choose from that don't cause anywhere as much havoc and destruction.

If you already planted it near something you care about whether it be the house, shed, tree, whatever, I'd suggest that you kill the vein before it's too late. The longer you wait, the more it spreads and the more difficult it will be to kill.

I purchased 2 vine control products to hopefully get rid of this thing.
Vine-X Vine & Brush Control, and Roundup Poison Ivy & Tough Brush Killer Plus Concentrate.

The battle lines have been drawn and this war has begun. Kill the Beast!

Positive russelln On Jun 13, 2007, russelln from Humble, TX wrote:

While I understand everyones frustration with this plant. I must point out that C. radicans is a native of the American southeast. If you are a gardener like myself who enjoys natives and trys to keep them in your garden as much as possible, all you need to do is FIND THE CORRECT PLACE. Give Trumpet Vine a more isolated location in you landscape, where their invasiveness will be less of a problem. They work well to cover the base of large oak and pine trees in my landscape and lack of sun does not slow them down. It is very drought tolerant and quite self sufficient . I have to say that the beauty of a C. radicans blanketing the branches of my trees and filling my yard with butterflies, hummers and other birds is worth the little extra effort in maintaining it and keeping it in check.
It should be noted that the Tacoma radicans is an error in taxonomy due to the similarity in flower form of the 2 species. Tacoma as a Genus generally refers to a bush with yellow , sherbet orange or hot pink trumpet shaped flower nearly identical to Campis without asute observation. Tacoma is commonly refered to as "Esperanza."

Neutral JonthanJ On May 28, 2007, JonthanJ from Logansport, IN wrote:

While I would be very careful with this plant, even here in Zone 5, I was surprised to see that Frank Lloyd Wright had used it at Falling Water in the late 1930's. The better use was in 5' diameter planters on one of the terraces. It was in the ground by the bridge over the creek too, but the soil at the site is very thin so the usual underground spreading is limited. They used Wisteria up at the guest house. I am sure the gardeners were instructed to handle both of them pretty fiercely.

I'd go for a big planter with serious trellising in full sun and prune hard to keep it within bounds and remove all seedpods before they open. Mature plants bloom on new wood so any damage frost or your pruning might do is unlikely to prevent blooming.

Negative LhasaLover On May 25, 2007, LhasaLover from (Tammie) Odessa, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I made the mistake 17 years ago planting one of these... no problems until a neighbor planted some also.. they then began producing seeds and coming up everywhere... now they have these tremendous runners that come up everywhere. I spent 3 years trying to kill them...

I have finally had success!

I no longer scream when I see one coming up, I just grin because I know I can kill it. One main trunk does try to send up sprouts each year ... I spray it and walk away.. next day, dead.. and it does not try again for a LOOOOONG time! Here is a pic of the two products I bought and mixed together... I use a little over 1 1/2 times full strength of each mixed in a spray bottle ... careful... it will kill anything it comes in contact with. I use a plastic glove on one hand and cut new sprouts in my grass in that hand and gently spray and rub on the leaves. Then just walk away... it will be dead the next day without damaging the surrounding grass or plants. I did have a big vine come up in a bush... gently pulled it out onto the grass... laid layers of newspapers under it... sprayed it... let dry and took the papers away.. it was dead the next day and just cut it at the base a few days later. some really established ones will take a few sprayings but we finally have control of the monster and it is very easy to maintain the little ones that come up... one squirt and gone!

product 1 Spectracide triple strike grass weed root... grey plastic bottle yellow and green labeling

product 2 Basic solutions by Ortho Grass and weed killer brown plastic bottle with white, yellow and red label

Positive faitfarm On May 21, 2007, faitfarm from Romeoville, IL wrote:

We bought two small starts of this vine about 5 years ago, and planted it on an isolated 4x8 trellis in our back yard. It grew to the top the first year, though one of the vines was clipped off by rabbits. It blooms consistently from early June though July. I trim it back to the trellis each fall, and it is one of the earliest plants to green up in our yard. I have not had any problems with runners, but it is surrounded by grasses that are mowed regularly. This makes a great privacy barrier, and the flowers are beautiful.

Negative barefoothippi On May 2, 2007, barefoothippi from Alvarado, TX wrote:

Oh my gosh, what can I say that hasn't already been said. We purchased the acre next door to us from an older man that spent hours & hours in his yard. I had seen the trumpet vines bloom a few times over the years, but never knew how intrusive THEY were until we began trying to weed out some of them. The man literally had vines that he purposely hung by wire covered with water hose thru trees, across roofs, under/over porches, everywhere! This past weekend we attempted to cut some from a tree that is dying from this vine. We got a lot of it out by climbing up in the tree some and pulling, and then decided to go for the base of the vine. This root at the ground level is about (I am not kidding) as big around as someone's waist and goes from this tree to 4 of five others, even to the next door neighbor's trees - we had to get the chain-saw to cut it and several other "runners" in two. This vine starting weeping a STEADY drip of clear liquid. I didn't think that much about it at the time, thinking it would stop. We continued our business. Five days later, I went over to check and see how it looked. (I felt sorry for it) This thing is still dripping a STEADY drip. There is a puddle under the end of the vine, and it is trying to heal itself. I became worried that the liquid might be toxic to our cats or other animals if they drank it, so yesterday, I covered the end of it tightly with a plastic bag and taped it over. In the meantime, I have discovered numerous other vines, though not so big, everywhere in the yard, and it is trying to invade my vegetable garden. I cannot imagine wanting to plant this thing on purpose. It only blooms every few years and it kills BIG healthy trees....and takes over everything in it's path.

Positive dirondi On Apr 26, 2007, dirondi from Sherman, TX wrote:

I like this plant and have 4 growing up and over a pergola along with mutabilis rose. The birds like it too. I usually mow down the new sprouts since they almost always come up outside of the bed where the plants are.

Neutral cactusman102 On Apr 8, 2007, cactusman102 from Lawrence, KS wrote:

This plant, along with every other plant can be useful if planted in the right spot. In my opinion, it should ONLY be used to grow up a sturdy, fixed height arbor or trellis in a planting island surrounded by concrete with no other plants. It has the ability to grow when all other climbing vines fail.
As a professional landscaper, it is possible although not easy to eradicate. Round-up will work it you can spray at the right time of year (after foliage is about a month or two old with no flowers yet) There must be enough foliage to spray;
you must spray enough foliage to equal the root mass of the plant. If to little foliage, the roots will not absorb enough of the chemical. For the organic hippies out there, it is also possible to eradicate a mature plant with out round-up. To do this, you must innitially remove ALL above-ground vegetation. Then every week for the next 2 or 3 growing seasons, you must remove ALL root or stem shoots. Eventually, the root system will run out of energy. If you wait too long in-between visits and the leaves unfurl, the plant will have a chance to replenish energy to its root system. Physical removal MUST be done every week.

Neutral technodweeb On Mar 11, 2007, technodweeb from New Lenox, IL wrote:

I saw a beautiful specimen in No. California when I lived there. It was amazing and wonderful.

My mother had this growing in her yard, but it never bloomed (shade). She warned that I really had to WANT this plant if I took some. She said "beware, don't say I didn't warn you."

I found volunteers all over her back patio area, so I took some and I've planted it along my chain link fence.

They have bloomed in less than 3 years. I pruned it back hard during a fluke warm day we had recently.

So far, I don't have runners. I've caught it trying a couple of times. I plan on "spading" around the base of each this spring to prevent long underground runners. (as recommended by someone on this forum!)

I've ordered a yellow variety for an area that has horrific clay soils in a remote area.

I've found it to be well mannered, SO FAR. Although, I saw what it did in my mothers patio area.

Wish me luck!

Negative DarkTXn On Mar 9, 2007, DarkTXn from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I hate this vine. It's already killed some of my trees. I've tried everything from cutting it down to the ground to weed killers. I've even dug up as many bulbs as I can and burned the parts that I can't pull out with a torch and it still comes back. This vine has taken over my yard. It covers the fence around my property and even the back of my house. I've cut and pulled the vines as high as I can reach but the vines on top of trees still kept growing. I finally climbed up there and found that roots along the vine were growing into the tree trunk. If you seed this vine pull it out before it takes over.

Negative drmhou On Mar 6, 2007, drmhou from Houston, TX wrote:

Ok, I want to report some success in killing trumpet vine. I had a rather insidious one that was very well established growing up a tree in my yard. Yes, the flowers (way way up in the tree) were lovely but the suckers in my bedding and yard were a nightmare. I searched the web for a "kill method" and tried several, including soaking the suckers in pure RoundUp (which the plant actually seemed to like). I finally happened upon a product called Vine-X on the web. I was understandably skeptical but desparate for a solution. None of my local garden shops carried it so I ordered it online. Because my vine had about a 2 inch diameter stem, I ordered the large stem version. You apply it with a brush and I did two fairly heavy applications about 10 days apart to the stem as low as I could reach to as high as I could reach. I expected to need to reapply in the spring as my application was during a typically dormant (November) season. Good news is that so far, so good. The vine appears dead and is actually falling of the tree. So far, no suckers, which is a miracle to me, in and of itself. Just a suggestion for those who are as desparate as I was for a solution. Don't know if it would work for everyone but it did for me.

Neutral frostweed On Mar 2, 2007, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Trumpet Vine, Trumpet Creeper, Cow-Itch Vine Campsis radicans is native to Texas and other States.

Neutral azsunnygrl On Jan 29, 2007, azsunnygrl from Tucson, AZ wrote:

I planted two of these vines on either side of my driveway on my carport roof support. On the plus side hummingbirds really seem to like them. On the negative side, they are usually full of ants. My husband and daughter hate them because unless trimmed they stick out into the carport and scratch up the cars. Once trimmed, they seem to bush out even worse. One of the vines has climbed up a tree next to the carport and is about 20 feet high. I have shoots coming up on the other side of yard about 10 feet from the original vine. I do like the vine, I just wish I had planted it somewhere else!

Negative ljlchartman4 On Jan 4, 2007, ljlchartman4 from York, PA wrote:

My husband and I saw this plant when we were on our honeymoon. They have it planted at the Biltmore in Ashville, NC. We thought that it was beautiful. After we bought our house, I found it at a local nursery. We planted it at the corner of our house in the fall, it was just a little stick with a root. By the end of the next summer we had a beautiful vine growing along side our house. Three summers later, it was flowering. We pruned it every spring and fall. We started noticing that it was sprouting up in the flower bed and then the front yard. It was climbing up under the front porch roof. We were trimming it monthly along with mowing it down in the grass. Two weeks after cutting sprouts down in the garden it would be growing again. Last spring we cut the whole thing down to about a foot off the ground. My husband drilled holes in the top of the trunk and we filled it with stump killer. The stump pulled out a couple of weeks later and we thought that it was done with. I think that it was actually worse last summer than anyother year. Our neighbor has one growing on the side of his fence in the back. We didn't know that he had one when we bought ours. We were not having trouble with it at the time. Now it is growing through the fence and under the fence. It is growing up through weedcloth and 4 inches of mulch in our childrens play area. The vines creep along the ground and root themselves into the mulch if not cut. It is growing up in the hedges in the neighbor on the opposite side of us. We are planning on digging up the front flower beds and using vegetation killer on everything because it is growing up in the plants that are there. We are also digging up the mulch in the play area and spraying that area, putting 4 layers of weed cloth and replacing the mulch with playground stones. It is a beautiful plant but not worth the labor and money to get rid of it, if you can.

Positive terikaz On Nov 8, 2006, terikaz from Kalamazoo, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

My husband and I purchased our trumpet vine in hopes of hiding the ugly power pole that our energy company was kind enough to put in our yard, right next to our driveway. I have very MINIMAL pruning and am thrilled with the beauty of the blooms along with all the birds and butterflies it attracts. I have asked my neighbors if it in anyway bothers them and have received no negative responses. After 8 years, our vine is about 20 feet tall and I would not think of destroying it. The birds love to hide in the leaves all summer and it gives them a place to sit while waiting for their turn at the feeders.

Negative Veramarie On Nov 5, 2006, Veramarie from Jamestown, IN wrote:

I will celebrate the day that it becomes illegal to sell or plant this vine. Yes, it is pretty in flower, but there are other much prettier vines that are just as attractive to butterflies and hummingbirds (non-invasive honeysuckle cultivars, for instance).

For anyone who plants this and would rate it a positive, I really hope you checked with all your neighbors and they feel as enthusiastic about it as you do. My neighbors have one 5 feet from our property line, near our vegetable plot. It shoots under the ground and pops up everywhere, growing several feet in a matter of weeks. Pulling them is nearly useless, because they just pop right back up. Birds carry the seeds all over, so I even have them growing on the opposite side of my 1/3 acre yard.

Hours of my annual gardening time are spent trying to keep this vine in check. I have tried high concentrations of herbicide to no avail. Even a thick layer of heavy black plastic doesn't stop it. Someday if the world is destroyed by nuclear war and every other living thing is dead, I am quite certain that there will STILL be trumpet vine thriving in my yard.

So, please, do yourself and your neighbor a favor and DO NOT PLANT THIS HORRIBLE WEED!

Positive QueenieBee On Oct 25, 2006, QueenieBee from Anthony, FL wrote:

This plant was on my property when I bought it over 7 years ago. It grows along my fence line (away from my house). We cut it back every year and so far it seems to stay where it is.

We love it because it keeps our yard full of hummingbirds!

Zone 8b

Negative cowboy_bill On Oct 4, 2006, cowboy_bill from Cullman, AL wrote:

Let me tell you about what we call the "cow itch vine" here in Alabama: I am not sure about what kind of blooms this thing has, but if your vine has a fuzzy surface on the main trunk of the vine then BEWARE!! This thing is worse that poison oak if you pull on the fuzzy trunks of these vines when trying to remove it (not sure if the leaves will get you as well) If you see a thick fuzzy vine (usually 1/4" to 3/4" wide, but sometimes more) and it is very tightly attached to a pine or other tree, in such a way that it would be difficult to pry it off of the tree (like it has hundreds of "fingers" that grip the bark on the back side), then WATCH out. We clear a lot of brush here in Alabama, and I hate this thing worse that poison oak! Did I mention that I HATE this vine?

Negative turbosbabe96 On Sep 23, 2006, turbosbabe96 from Ingleside, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I saw the reddish-orange blooms..and cringed!!!! My neighbors "LOVE" the vine! I tolerated it as long as I could.When the Japanese Beetles and Whiteflies began to take over..I said, Enuff is Enuff!! Snipped the "mother" vines..and thank goodness the beast is dying..Good riddance and take the nuisance pests with you!!!

Neutral cornloaf On Sep 20, 2006, cornloaf from Burlingame, CA wrote:

I'm on the fence with this plant. Actually, the plant is on the fence too. And on my trees, and my neighbor's trees, and his neighbor's trees...

A neighbor planted this in their backyard. It slowly creeped up into my backyard. The flowers are wonderful and we attract lots of bees and hummingbirds. Recently, the vine has filled up several trees and the branches are now hanging down low enough for my dog to pull on them. They started to block my star jasmine from getting sun so I decided to trim it back a bit.

I was on my roof adjusting my antenna and noticed how far this vine had spread. It looks like it is in about 6 backyards. This makes for a great privacy plant, but I'm afraid it's going to kill everything in my backyard soon. I have not noticed any runners at all, but I'm keeping my eye out.

I read a few comments on here about the trumpet vine never blooming for them. This plant has no problem here. It has been blooming for about 9 months straight now. It's not uncommon for my tomato plants to produce through December, so we'll see if this vine can stick it out for a full year!!

Neutral erica42 On Sep 2, 2006, erica42 from Wellsboro, PA (Zone 4b) wrote:

My trumpet vine has probably had about 15 blooms total in the 10+ years I've had it. Some years no blooms at all, but always lots of vine and greenery; you can almost watch it grow. I have moved it to other areas around my house - thinking more sun, etc., still no blooms and, of course, it comes back in full force where I dug it up, even though I 'thought' I got it all. While I don't hate it, I have found it to be a disappointment.

Negative Bexter On Aug 31, 2006, Bexter from Woods Hole, MA wrote:

Some people think that a native plant can never be called "invasive", but that's mixing up terms. Virginia creeper is not an "exotic" invasive, but it certainly can be a "native" invasive if it chokes and kills trees, or squeezes out all other vegetation in an area.

Some people think an "invasive" or "rambunctious" plant won't be a problem if they themselves are going to plant it in a place where it won't get out of control.

Well, even if it may not cause trouble for YOU, take note when you see trees in your area being leveled by vines.

So please think twice before planting something that many people in your area consider an invasive.

Positive nonillion On Aug 20, 2006, nonillion from West Brookfield, MA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Campsis x tagliabuana 'Madame Galen' Trumpet Vine and Campsis grandiflora 'Morning Calm' Chinese Trumpet Vine are improved versions and not as aggressive as Campsis radicans. Not evergreen here, and needs 2-3 years to get used to its spot before starting to grow well. Hummingbirds love it, and so do I.

Neutral lmsq On Aug 13, 2006, lmsq from Media, PA wrote:

I have 2 plant I put in 6 years ago, never bloomed or spred.. I put another in this year and it is still not even 2in high.. i know it grows here in Pa. and well it is everywere .. but it will not grow here.. Maybe thats a good thing after readind all the comments..

Positive Irish9b On Aug 2, 2006, Irish9b from Sun City, AZ wrote:

This has been a great plant for me in in Phoenix. I have 3 0r 4 that grow as bushes up by the southwest side of my house for shade. They are old plants and kept in trim. I love the hummers. I also have planted one 2 yrs ago on a steel fence for privacy. Just have to be willing to do some trimming.

Positive catncrows On Jul 26, 2006, catncrows from Wadsworth, NV wrote:

Slow to start in non-amended soil in zone 5, easy to control here by pruning and edging (as in lawn edging) started mine from seed against southwest facing chain link fence. It gets maximum sun all day. While not needing deep watering I have found it does better here with drip irrigation twice a week and a little Miracle Grow in early spring and mid summer.

Positive breachofwaters On Jul 22, 2006, breachofwaters from Hudson, FL wrote:

Trumpet Creeper is native. I can see where some may call it invasive, but I agree that calling a native plant invasive is not the correct way to characterize this plant. I prefer to use a term I read on a web site which is pro-trumpet creeper (for the sake of the humming birds): trumpet creeper is "rambunctious."

I am somewhat ambivalent about this plant, but give it a "positive" because I think it is a nice native plant that is misunderstood and mis-used.

I have lived with trumpet creeper for the past twenty years. We inherited well-established trumpet creeper from the previous owners of our home on a little over an acre in Zone 9a (Nature Coast of Florida). Much of that timeframe(while I was working full time, raising my children, going to school...) our property was neglected, and the trumpet creeper was left to its own devices.

Wandering: Our trumpet creeper has worked its way from our back yard to the neighbor's five-acre parcel, where it has climbed up some 60-70' pines. It has also climbed up our oaks of varying sizes, and has practically draped several areas of our property as it has worked its way westward mostly, and I am now finding shoots at least 75 feet from the original vine.

Recently I was sitting outside on my doorstoop in the early morning, sipping on hot coffee, and watching a virtual humming bird war overhead, as the birds swooped from vine to vine, all in full bright-red bloom (our vines have always bloomed profusely). I had read somewhere that killing or eradicating trumpet creeper is a little bit like throwing the baby out with the bath water, and that made sense to me. So, I have decided to make peace with our trumpet creeper and try to rein it in, but I do not intend to kill it all or eradicate it; I merely intend to put it back in its place. I do not believe it will be an impossible effort based on the headway I have made so far.

I have cleared some areas that have been draped with overgrowth from our trumpet creeper (and other vines) to find the effort not very tedious or time-consuming. Several hours and a pile of vines later, the area is cleared, and plants that were underneath seem to be alive and in good shape, some even thriving. Having witnessed the resilience of this amazing plant, I do not put the pile of cut vines anywhere near our compost pile, neither do I leave them untended on the ground for long: I promptly burn them!

A lawn mower definitely helps with keeping new shoots cut back. Yes, they will resprout from the roots, but each time seem to be smaller, closer to the ground: I may do more to get rid of these shoots when I have time. The lawn mower is a quick and effective, albeit temporary control.

The vines which have climbed up and lived on our 50-foot or more tall oak these past two decades do not seem to have done the oak any damage at all. The vines that made their way to our concrete block house and started to climb up the walls came off easily but had done damage to the paint. Where the vines have climbed up a tree I do not want them in, I have been able to cut them off close to the base, pull on the vine, and it comes right down with little stress or strain: it does not wrap round and round the base it is growing on like some invasive vines (like air potato) do. Of course, measures have to be taken to keep the roots from regrowing: heavy mulch, herbicide, digging up the roots...

This is a plant that can -- and does -- propagate itself at least four or five different ways: seeds, runners, air layering, layering...

As for skin irritations: I have worked with it with short sleeves and my bare hands and have never noticed any skin irritation from doing so, but then I do not suffer from allergies as a rule.

Recently, I have opened a registered nursery, and I do intend to sell this vine with careful information and instructions about how to handle it and manage it. Trumpet creeper I have potted so far is behaving nicely. Like a spirited child, trumpet creeper, properly managed, is an exciting asset. I would rather have my world with some trumpet creeper in it than not. My five-year-old granddaughter, who along with her siblings and mom lives with me, calls trumpet creeper blooms "honey flowers" and she delights in sipping the nectar from the base of every one she can reach, which is not nearly as many as she would like!

If you elect to plant trumpet creeper, do so with delight: just don't turn your back on it for too long.

Neutral Flowing_Quince On Jul 20, 2006, Flowing_Quince from Gold Bar, WA wrote:

I have planted this vine at the side of my mobile with a trellis for it to start to grow on. It has only been in the ground for about two years and does not seem to be growing very well or spreading. Have not checked out the root growth since I stuck it in the ground. All your comments have alarmed me, as I am also fighting with invasive bamboo that no one told me some one had planted a number of years ago; previous owner had just kept chopping it down so that it was not visible.
Will now work to try to remove this vine before it can cause any more problems. Hopefully I have a chance since it has not been in the ground to long(don't snicker).
If I find something that helps kill it I will pass it on to the rest of you who are at your wits end.
Good luck to the rest of you.

Update on August 8, 2007

Here is my update about trying to kill off this determined plant...I have been searching through all the many plant books that I have collected through the years...I tried alot of concoctions...some just killed off the leaves and tender twigs, but the plant itself still thrived. Until I tried what Jerry Baker considered a sure way to kill any plant...Straight alcohol, spray heavily to coat and saturate the soil around the roots....I had to watch for it to try to come back up and when it did, it got dosed again. By this time it was time for everything to winter over. This Spring I saw no growth and decided to dig up the roots so that I could replant the area. So far I have not seen any sign of it trying to come back. Don't know if this is of any help to the rest of you, but it is what worked for me.
Negative russelltdog On Jul 16, 2006, russelltdog from Kenner, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant grows as a weed in southeastern Louisiana. It is difficult to eradicate because the roots must be removed.

Negative vaSandy On Jul 4, 2006, vaSandy from Virginia Beach, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

We call it Virginia Creeper here because it grows wild everywhere.
It's pretty when it blooms and has an interesting seed pod, but if it gets in your flowerbed, look out! It's hard to eradicate and will come up everywhere.
Some people get skin irritation from it, use gloves.

Positive MalvaFan On Jun 17, 2006, MalvaFan from Morrice, MI wrote:

To keep my trumpet vines from becoming the "Plant That Ate Cleveland" I keep them well pruned. I like to keep them in a shrub-like form. I read from some gardening book they flower better from new wood. As for the risk of contact dermatitis from Campsis radicans I have not experianced any, but to be careful one could just wear gloves. Besides morning glories, they are a great hummingbird lure.

Negative Cybrczch On May 21, 2006, Cybrczch from Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

I wouldn't plant it if I was given it, unfortunately my neighbor has decided it is the *ideal* plant to grow up the power pole in her yard, right next to my fence. It has now reached the top of the pole. Sprouts are shooting up in my shade bed (in the astilbe it's nearly impossible to tell until it gets taller), any small gap in the wood fence and a couple of shoots push through, and it's licking its chops and angling toward my smoke tree... at least I'm not allergic to it (yet).

Negative mrsbrooks On May 18, 2006, mrsbrooks from Bowling Green, KY wrote:

This is horrible stuff. I have it growing all over the property, and have instucted my husband to mow down every shoot he sees. We had to cut it from the side of the garage with a chainsaw the root was so big! The most effective thing I have found is to cut them while fairly small and immediately spray it with Roundup Tough Brush killer. It seems to have worked so far on the ones that were growing up, around, and finally inside the house. Whew! This stuff is almost as bad as chameleon, but I have had some success killing trumpet vine, and none whatsoever in killing the chameleon.

Negative sandrad61 On May 15, 2006, sandrad61 from Palmyra, NJ wrote:

Unfortunately, I too made the mistake of planting the extremely invasive trumpet vine along my fence which has now made it's way underground and intertwined in every plant in my garden. I am so sad and so desperate to get rid of this garden snatcher . Rather than pull the plant I try to dig a trench and remove a portion of the root (I feel like I'm searching for Bin Laden). I plan on taking up every plant and digging up about a 20' x 20' area to try and cut off the root system. I don't think I have ever hated anything so much in my life more than this invasive plant (except for the war in Iraq).

Neutral Meredith79 On May 12, 2006, Meredith79 from Southeastern, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I wanted one of these for my hummingbird garden collection. Even after reading all the negative ratings, I recently purchased one. I just bought an iron arbor to grow it on. I am hoping this will be sturdy enough to support this heavy vine. I got an idea from another forum to plant it in a five gallon bucket with the bottom cut out. They mentioned that it typically sends out shoots from the side not the bottom. So it should help keep it under control. It needs to be heavily pruned annually to control growth. If you are concerned about damage, it shouldn't be planted near trees, houses or on anything that it can't be controlled by pruning. It has been known to take down trees and walls. I do have to disagree with the comments that it is invasive. I know every one's definition of invasive is different. To me a native plant can't be invasive and this is a native. I purchased mine at the New England Wild Flower Society Garden in the woods in Framingham, MA. They only sell natives and are very against invasive plants and would not sell it if it was. In my mind an invasive plant is, a non-native plant that contributes to the extinction of native plants. Such as the case with japanese honeysuckle. I think very aggressive would be a better discription. I also know that they will not bloom if they do not get full sun, or if the plant is too young. I think the soonest they'll bloom is at 3 and up to 5 years old. So that might be why so many people have not seen them bloom. If they are trying to eradicate it, maybe they only have plants that are less than 3 years old. I am giving it a neutral because I haven't planted it yet. Who knows I might regret planting this years from now, but I am hoping for the best. After reading another post about this being a native invasive not an exotic invasive I feel the need to post the definition of invasive as defined by the NEWFS: Invasive species a non-native (adventitious) species that is capable of moving aggressively into a habitat and monopolizing resources such as light, nutrients, water, and space to the detriment of other species.

Negative Putnamjct On May 4, 2006, Putnamjct from Carmel, NY wrote:

I have trumpet vine running rampant on/in and UNDER my 1/2 acre. I have dug up root sections that were 4" in diameter. I've pulled up 40 foot long sections with a full size excavator. To say this vine is invasive is an UNDERSTATEMENT!

I don't know how long previous homeowners have let this run rampant, but I am sure I will die before this thing is finally eradicated. I've cut down 4 full size maples that this vine strangled to death, and will probably have to take down a big pine tree because the vine grew up the side and it's half dead. Not counting the dozen or so smaller (under 20 foot) trees that faced an untimely demise thanks to this lovely vine.

I am now making trips onto the surrounding properties trying to lop off as much of this thing as I can. I feel like Nixon invading Laos to cut off the supply trails for Ho Chi Minh.

Never saw a flower on any of it, and it sprouts back up the day after you lop it off.

It WILL be the death of me...........

Positive Deanlynn On Apr 22, 2006, Deanlynn from Tarzana, CA wrote:

I am confused as to the negative comments on this vine.
We have a number of Trumpet vines trained to cover our pergola. We find them very slow growing and not at all difficult to keep under control. Is it possible that ours in not the same plant. Ours is called Bigonia Cherere or disticitis buccinatoria.

Neutral SalemSunshine On Mar 14, 2006, SalemSunshine from Salem, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

I am SO GLAD I read the comments for this plant. I read somewhere that it attracts hummingbirds and butterflies. I have an empty wall in front of my house, and I have been searching for seeds or plants at nurseries and couldn't seem to find any (lucky me). HOWEVER, I hate ants, and I definitely don't want to do damage to my 100 year old home.
Thank you!

Negative nichelob_lite On Feb 27, 2006, nichelob_lite from North Highlands, CA wrote:

Well what can I say, it is a very invasive plant, and thats an understatement! Although it has beautiful flowers and it attracts hummingbirds it also attracts ants. Do not grow this plant unless it can be contained.

Negative sedum37 On Feb 1, 2006, sedum37 from Westford, MA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Very invasive here in Massachusetts. A friend has this growing in his seaside garden and he is constantly pulling out the runners in his garden beds and lawns. It is impossible to eradicate once it is planted. Avoid!

Negative melody On Jan 25, 2006, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

This sweet little seedling vine that looks so innocent and harmless will grow up to be a 30 foot monster with roots to China. As stated above, pulling it just makes more, as it has the ability to sprout new plants from even the tiniest piece left in the ground.

I do enjoy it along the roadways and covering the abandoned barns, but wouldn't want it on my property...I've got one that I've been trying to kill for the last 5 years, and nothing seems to work.

Negative Gabrielle On Jan 16, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Has anyone mentioned this is invasive?! LOL I am going to start to try to kill mine off this year. I cut it back to the ground last fall. It is on a back fence line, so where it is coming up in a neighbor's yard will be a problem. My pet rabbits keep it eaten in their large running area. BUT, I have it coming up in my food garden and compost pile. Not a pretty thing.

Positive redhed4nu On Jan 4, 2006, redhed4nu from Burchard, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

These do have their place in the garden, if you can keep them contained! Ours (we have seven) have been trained into little 6-7' trees lining our driveway. The people who owned the property before us started them in the late 80's and they are still going strong... Trained on steel fence or hedge posts, and pruned once a year, they pretty much stay where they should. When the seed pods show up, we cut them right away, before they dry and are broadcast all over our yard. Once in a while, an unwanted vine will pop up on the wrong side of the driveway, so we nip it off and spray it. These are quite pretty, but I imagine if we decided to get rid of them permanently, it would be quite a job. I spent two afternoons pruning and trimming, and I didn't break out in a rash or anything of that sort. I did have finches swooping at me trying to get me out of their tree, though.

Neutral Dhoney On Oct 1, 2005, Dhoney from Chicago, IL wrote:

I've been growing this plant for two years--no blooms yet!

Positive LarryDavid On Sep 2, 2005, LarryDavid from Salt Lake City, UT (Zone 5b) wrote:

I absolutely love this vine. I have an orange and a red one in my yard. It attracts all kinds of pollinators to my garden and the hummingbirds love it! I have found it pretty easy to control as well. I just pull up the plants that germinate in the summer. It's positive features far out weigh the negative features. Two thumbs up for this great vine!

Neutral monmeehan On Jun 30, 2005, monmeehan from Santa Fe, NM (Zone 6a) wrote:

wow! I just got/planted one today for my 3rd story balcony container garden. It sounds like this might be the only way to grow it. I was hoping for something to twine around the railing and uprights, that might also attract hummers. I'll have to see how it turns out!

Negative jestelleoan On Aug 17, 2004, jestelleoan from Tyler, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant is very invasive here in Texas. It gives me a rash and it is a pain in the neck. It has taken me years of trying to get rid of it.

Negative WillowWasp On Aug 15, 2004, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Well plants have to be pretty good for nothing for me to give them a negative. But I can't think of one thing this one is good for. It grows wild, half the time when you want it to bloom it won't and when you don't want it to grow it will and where your need it to it won't so there it is good for nothing. Like an egg sucking dog.
And it is and under ground runner that can sprint faster than a track star. And will be everwhere you don't want it to be...... :o(
Dee

Positive BethG_58 On Aug 11, 2004, BethG_58 from Homosassa, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Trumpet Vine experience in Zone 9a, Citrus County, FL

Invasive? Yes. Beautiful? Absolutely.

If you're into sculptured landscapes and well-tended gardens, DON'T plant this, unless you are ready to put lots of time into making it behave. However, if you're like me, and you just love the beautiful colors & the hummingbirds it attracts, and you don't mind the natural, untamed look, and you have an area, away from structures you don't want torn down, then I'd say 'Go for it!'

I had purchased several plants some years ago (I'm thinking 3 or 4). I planted one at the base of a pine tree in my front yard. This one has managed to grow about 10-12' up the tree, and I've only discovered one underground 'runner' coming off of it. As yet, this one has never bloomed, and really seems like it is struggling. However, I had planted a second one in another area of the property. I had combined it with some of the 'native' vines that grow unchecked here in zone 9a, like Pepper Vine. I'd used metal conduit to create a 'teepee' for the vines to cover, intending it to become a vine-covered mound, which I hoped would attract wildlife & birds. Well, it definitely did become a vine-covered mound, although the Trumpet vine had not yet bloomed on it. About 6-8 months ago, darling hubby, out doing his 'yard work', decided the area needed to be cleaned up, and thinking it was just a pile of weeds, tore it all down and mowed the area. LOL...now the Trumpet Vine has found its way to an area about 30' away, and has happily made its home in neighboring palm trees and all along the ground in the vicinity. It literally has covered an area of at least 15'x15'. Much to my delight, I discovered that it is blooming this year too!! I've got to remember to thank hubby! :)

Now, I know where I'll be putting in the other vines I was planning to add for the hummers. I can't wait to see all off them come into bloom!

Positive BingsBell On Aug 10, 2004, BingsBell from SC, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

My one and only plant which was planted in 1989 by a vinyl fence which it never grew up. The fence is too slick for it and it is bound by the drive to my home which is concrete. It also has never bloomed. I love its dark green fern-like foliage and it mounds beautifully by the fence. I don't even nip the runners...I just shove them under the mound and they add themselves to the mound.

I haven't watered it in probably ten years because my watering system doesn't reach that far. We are considered arid here and it survives well. I ignore this plant completely and find it very tolerable here.

Negative maphead On Aug 2, 2004, maphead from Vancouver, WA wrote:

A mature red vine was one of the selling points of the house we purchased in '02. Hummers loved it and it was a big, shady beauty on the eastside of the house and garage.
Last year we had to dig the sucker out of the area surrounding the waste out-flow pipe where it knotted roots into the pipe to get nutrients and water. This year the remnants have shot up and I am concerned that the pipe will be blocked again soon since we are having another drought this year.

Removing the vine from the house has helped us control sweet seeking ants that previously invaded without ceasing.

I have dug up around the foundation of the house and brought up root sections 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter. I left the hole open to see what might show up. Sure enough, sprouts, full on, with long tendrils and leaves where present within three days of our seeming massacre. Now it feels like a losing game to find *any* more segments and get them out.

This was a great mature plant - plenty of seed pods, beautiful blooms and thick leafy shade around our east facing windows. Previous owners placed well thought out trellis across windows to really use the shade. I am sorry to try to eradicate it but last year's bill for pipe work convinced me. Further, the gutters, roofing tile and window frames were being systematically pried away from the house by the vine. We still have not gotten all the woody remnants off the house.

I welcome any suggestions for slowing or terminating growth of the remaining root knuckles that are exposed. (I just can't dig up any more of the yard or Sweetie will be really sad with me.) We have lots of other great plants and have a 'chem-free' operation going.

Positive barbinvegas On Jul 31, 2004, barbinvegas from Gulf Breeze, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Trumpet vines can be very invasive if you don't control them. I have found that the best way to control them in the Panhandle of Florida is to plant them at the base of a long needle pine tree and let them grow up the tree. They look beautiful whether in or out of bloom and they stay relatively confined.

Positive Jamespayne On Jul 26, 2004, Jamespayne from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Feel fortunate you have all of these positive, neutral, and negative responses to the Trumpet Creeper. Obviously, this is one plant you must THINK about BEFORE you plant. I built a HUGE trellis for my 2 to grow on in zone 9a, and so far no negavative results! If I can keep Japanese Honeysuckle under control, I don't forsee any problems with my Campsis radicans!

Negative jq On Jul 26, 2004, jq from White Lake, MI wrote:

Very good grower once established, nice flowers which are attractive to hummingbirds and various insects. However, it can be invasive. It spreads aggressively underground and is almost impossible to pull or dig out completely. My Trumpet Vine behaved well for 40 years, covering a chain link fence and screening out the neighbors. Occasional shoots in the lawn were controlled by regular mowing. The past few years it has gone ballistic, springing up all over. Most of the shoots are coming up from (I am not exaggerating) a four foot deep pile of willow mulch. Tough plant. I am desperate enough to try a commercial Brush Be Gone product, hoping to control the new shoots. I realize it may take several applications. Although I am strictly organic, it seems an herbicide is my only hope of real control. I would not recommend this plant to other gardeners as the dang thing tends to run amok. Try Butterfly Bush for Hummers and butterflies instead, and perhaps a clematis or climbing rose to cover a fence.

Positive TodPA On Jun 23, 2004, TodPA from Malvern, PA wrote:

Wow, I never knew so many people has such strong feelings about trumpet vine! We have had a trumpet vine on our property in S.E. PA for 35 years, and while it is true that it tends to spread with time, ours is controllable with a little vigilance and more than makes up for it's "enthusiasm" with prolific flowers which by themselves attract several hummingbirds every year. (Perhaps some people's vines don't flower because they don't get enough sun?) In my hummingbird garden, pretty much nothing is as popular with the hummers. Also, we have never noticed any skin rash or reaction, having handled the plant many, many times.

Negative killtrumpetvine On Jun 19, 2004, killtrumpetvine from Columbia, MO wrote:

I have a large gorgeous perennial garden that is about 11 years old. At about year #3 I put up a trellis at the entrance to the garden and decided that a gorgeous yellow trumpet vine would look pretty on the trellis. How utterly stupid and naiive I was!!! I soon discovered that when a person looks up the word 'invasive' in the dictionary, it should be defined with two words, "trumpet vine". The vine runs secretly and insidiously underground and attempts to choke out every other flower and plant in the garden. To add insult to injury, the vine has never bloomed, and is heavy and destructive to the trellis. If I was the litigious type, I'd even consider suing the garden center that allowed me to purchase it with nary a word of warning. Stay away from this plant!!!

Positive jinglecat On Jun 8, 2004, jinglecat from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

The plant came with the house and I wondered what it was at first. With it's bold colors I thought it looked poisonous. I have never had a problem with it being invasive and have never gotten a rash or skin irritation from it. It is on a free standing trellis and at the top hangs over like an umbrella. This year it doesn't seem to be growing. It is an older plant with a thick trunk and so far this year I have seen no green shoots or leaves. I hear how hard it is to kill, but something seems to have affected this one. The winter wasn't particularly harsh and I used no chemicals on the lawn or garden. I have 2 new young plants that seem to be growing.
I'm unhappy that the old plant is dead, it is part of the character of the house. I wish it would take over my hillside, instead I have a horrible viney weed that doesn't bloom and is killing my ivy.

Negative purplepetunia On Jun 2, 2004, purplepetunia from Savannah, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

VERY INVASIVE. I bought this plant in a one gallon container about three or four years ago. It was blooming when I bought and has never bloomed again. I planted it near a dogwood tree. It has grown to the top of the tree. There are vines all over that side of my yard. Yes, they do grow very rapidly. I am pulling up most of them, but feel it will spring up somewhere else. I was disappointed the first couple of years that it didn't bloom. Now I am more disappointed that is hasn't bloomed and I can't get rid of it. I thought of giving a piece to my neighbor, then decided they might not be my friend after a couple of years of this invading their yard. It is almost as bad as the virginia creeper that grows wild and nothing kills it.

Neutral DAWNMEIER On Jun 2, 2004, DAWNMEIER from Winchester, VA wrote:

My first apartment had a trumpet vine in the back yard and I vowed to have one in my own yard someday. I planted one about 4-5 years ago in my yard along the fence line and it has taken off quite well in spite of my two dogs playing tug-o-war with it. But I haven't gotten any blooms on it yet. I'm not sure if there is a dormant stage after planting or the blame lies with the pups. This year it's surrounded by fence and away from the dogs. Will it bloom? We'll have to wait and see.

Negative sadie_mae On Apr 19, 2004, sadie_mae from Central, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Horrible, invasive plant. It came with our farm and I have been chopping and pulling for 7 years. Have never broken out from handling, but really hate this plant!!

Negative DaraMV On Apr 18, 2004, DaraMV wrote:

Don't bother with this vine. It is invasive and hard to get rid of. Every spring I have to pull out shoots that come up. You have to remove any roots in the ground or else they'll keep coming back, but preventing that is almost impossible!

Positive WITrumpet On Nov 10, 2003, WITrumpet wrote:

I have a trumpet vine that has been growing along my porch for the last 22 years. Even with harsh central Wisconsin winters, it comes back strong every year with out any winter protection except for a sunny spot. It has sent out many shoots that many people have been more than willing to take and try to grow themselves, but they have not taken over my yard. The shoots are very hard to start, but those that have succeeded have been more than thrilled with their results. No one in my family, or anyone I know has ever broken out in a rash from this plant. My plant has just started producing seed pods and I'm excited to try this method of propigation of this great plant. I have not had a big problem with the plant taking over with proper trimming. I hope that more people will have a good result with this plant.

Negative TerriFlorida On Nov 8, 2003, TerriFlorida from Plant City, FL wrote:

Luckily for me, I saw this vine in glorious flower, covering a house and obviously doing damage to it in Riverview. It was scary to look at. Think of kudzu and walk away...

Negative suncatcheracres On Sep 20, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I am presently covered with a rash from this plant from head to toe--it is quite unpleasant, and I was wearing long sleeves, long pants, socks and gloves when I acquired this rash--the allergens penetrated through my clothes to my skin. I doubt that there is a square yard on my entire six acres here in NorthCentral Florida, zone 8b, where this very invasive native plant does not grow, so I have to pull it out, roots and all, in order to grow anything else. It makes long roots as thick as my fingers, that intertwine in the top six inches of my sandy soil, and my hands ache from pulling it out of future flower and vegetable beds. It sends out long underground runners, as well as long vines, up to 40 feet tall, or taller.

I have just spent three hours on the internet researching glyphosate, the active ingredient in RoundUp, as I am desperate to get rid of this invasive plant. I have much more of this plant than I have poison ivy, although I am equally allergic to both.

I have also been given some homemade weed killer formulas, one of which I am considering trying: take one gallon white vinegar, one pound of salt, and 8 teaspoons of dish detergent as a surfacant, and spray. It sounds more organic than RoundUp, but I'm worried about the salt residue and damaging my many earthworms and other beneficial insects. Supposedly RoundUp binds to the soil and is transformed by soil microorganisms into carbon dixoide within a few months. As a lifelong organic gardener you must realize how desperate I am to get rid of this plant if I am even considering using something like RoundUp. So if you don't want to be in my predicament, do not plant this plant! And so much for all the ballyhoo about wonderful native plants--I'd certainly much prefer a well-behaved, attractive, cultivated vine that knows how to stay in its place.

I do understand there are some better behaved, named cultivars of this plant, but after battling this plant for a year I don't think I would ever plant any variety of it. The irony of it all is that the pretty, orangy-colored, trumpet shaped flowers of this vine trailing along the front fence and up the old oak trees arching over the white limerocked dirt road attracted me to stop and look at this property in the first place--and it was only then that I saw the "for sale" sign, mostly hidden by these "jungle vines." But my hands and forearms literally look like "raw meat" right now from handling this plant, so if you are at all allergic, do not plant this thing. And from the other comments I think it is very obvious that the further South you live, the more invasive it can become.

Negative margaretx On Sep 18, 2003, margaretx from Houston, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

Same here in Houston. Lousy thing comes up all over in the beds, in other peoples yards, in the patio and we've tried to burn, poison it, NEVER pull it, that just makes more! I've given up and just try to keep it out of where I don't want it. Doesn't pull the hummingbirds the way other plants do.

Negative htop On Sep 17, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

My mother has been trying to kill the trumpet vines in her yard for 50 years using as many methods as one can think of with no luck! She is 91 years old and stated that when she reaches the eternal gates to meet her maker, the trumpet vines' trumpets will sound in unison and the vines will shout, "Your battles were hard fought, but WE have finally won the war!"

Positive ChiTown On Sep 17, 2003, ChiTown from Chicago, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have a Tumpet Vine on an 8-foot fence between a paved parking lot and a sidewalk, which contain its invasiveness nicely. It has "extra-floral nectaries" like peonies and peach trees, which draw (among many other things) a large black and yellow wasp that's almost as spectacular as the blossoms. The wasps are imposing but haven't harmed anyone. Haven't seen any ants, though. And there's a delicious drop of nectar if you break off a blossom carefully and suck on the base, like honeysuckle. This year for the first time I have seed pods.

Positive grca211 On Aug 6, 2003, grca211 wrote:

I placed this vine against the house on a strong trellis in the back of the garden in full sun. It has been a beautiful addition and since it is in the back of the garden, the dead flowers are not noticeable at all. I haven't noticed an unusual amount of bugs on it either. It is natural to have some ants because of the sweet nectar in the flowers. This is a wonderful vine for anyone wanting to fill a large space!

Negative cmoon On Jul 27, 2003, cmoon from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

Mine does not have thorns, nor is it itchy, but it will take over the world. Shoots come up from the roots and the seeds will blow over the universe. it also attracts ants and will pull down a tree.

Mine came with the house and the original is about 18 inches in diameter at the base. It also puts out fingers to dig into wood or brick, but it's beautiful and bees and hummers love it. Roundup and brush killers don't hurt it.

Negative cloncs On Jul 10, 2003, cloncs from Colfax, NC wrote:

I was helping my girlfriend remove these thorny vine plants from around our grape vine. The next day I had major rash and blisters on my skin and it itches like crazy. Stay away from it if you are allergic to "poisonous" plants. It'll be weeks before this clears up.

Negative MartyJo On Apr 19, 2003, MartyJo from Fayette, IA (Zone 4b) wrote:

I had great sentimental attachment to this plant, recalling it from my grandmother's garden. Alas, its invasiveness keeps me from recommending it to anyone. If it is completely surrounded by areas that can be mown, it's beautiful and attracts hummingbirds - but it's a thug! Will come up everywhere, in beds as far as 20 feet away. Plant at your own risk.

Neutral horsepower On Apr 7, 2003, horsepower wrote:

For the fire ant problem, I use Andro to get rid of fire ants. The ants take it into their mound to kill the queen. Do NOT put andro on the ant pile, they will take it far, far away from their home. Place the Andro near their mound, so they can find it and think it's yummy food, not an attack on their nest. Don't use before rain, but after.

Neutral lifesavers2001 On Mar 3, 2003, lifesavers2001 wrote:

I have a Trumpet Vine in my garden also. I found it very invasive. I had to completely dig it up and remove all the roots to stop it.

So when I decided to move it to another place, I planted it in a 5 gallon black plastic pot. First I cut the bottom of the pot out, dug a hole for the pot to set in about half way up the side, filled with my garden dirt, planted the vine.

It is now contained and I do not have the invasive shoots in any other part of my flower bed. It has been there three seasons now and so far I have not had any extra shoots coming out of the ground as it did in the other spot. I find that any plant that is know to be invasive can be planted in this manner to contain it.

Negative nada1000 On Mar 3, 2003, nada1000 wrote:

I hate this vine with a passion. It crawled up the house, around the house, in the house. I had it comming up in my bathroom out of every little crack in the floor. I tried killing it and it would not die. I tried cutting back to the root, and it came back. I tried poisons, salt, and never watered it exept for rain. I didn't plant it, I bought it with the house. It introduced ants to my roof. If I ever see this plant in a garden in, I promise I will run as fast as I can.

Positive JoanneC On Sep 1, 2002, JoanneC wrote:

I have a beautiful orange Trumpet Vine that needs very little care. Other than bright sun, she needs very little and is also drought tolerant. But I do have one problem...she attracts ANTS!

Also, I do not trim vigorously, only the dead shoots in the spring. I also cut off (dead head) the seed pods. (Only if a friend wants one, will I plant a few seeds to get a new plant.)

A little messy but the vibrant flowers and the Hummingbirds are well worth it!!

Negative Terry On Aug 31, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I can't recommend this vine - its flowers are messy (we planted it over a pergola, and it was a constant battle to keep it trimmed back and the floor swept free of "droppings" - and did I mention it is invasive? I just can't think of a place where it would look good and not destroy everything surrounding it. The one positive - birds and bees do like the flowers.

Neutral taufiq On Aug 19, 2002, taufiq wrote:

I love the vine as it covers a trellis and gives good isolation from my neighbour. I am concerned tho at the amount of shoots popping out all over the place, even 30 feet from the plant!
Ive heard that if you cut off the pods or 'deadhead' the plant (whatever that means) it will control it somewhat.
Hardy plant and likes full sunlight, very tolerable to different soil types.

Neutral lanie1209 On Jun 4, 2002, lanie1209 from Dacula, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I couldn't decide if it was a neutral or a negative for me. I got a small piece from an 80 year old woman up in the mountains, about 10 years ago. Planted it by a pine tree and NOW it's to the top of the 60-70 foot pine. It's beautiful and the red blooms are all over the pine. The only down side is I find the vine popping up ALL over the place. 20-30 feet away from the tree... and I think they can grow a foot a day! They definately are vigorous little boogers!

Positive alexrk1 On May 22, 2002, alexrk1 wrote:

I have (2) Trumpet Vines they are very rapid growers but with trimming it is a wonderful vine this year I am going to try mixing it with some climbing Roses on a trellis.

Neutral lupinelover On Apr 20, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant will grow as high as its support allows: 80-100 feet is common here.

The seedpods, if left on, attract birds all winter.

It also attracts Japanese beetles by the bajillions.

Negative Floridian On Aug 3, 2001, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

The plant can cause rash on some people

Athens, Alabama
Wetumpka, Alabama
Queen Creek, Arizona
Tucson, Arizona
Wesley, Arkansas
Burlingame, California (2 reports)
Clovis, California
San Carlos, California
San Clemente, California
Santee, California
Vincent, California
Denver, Colorado (2 reports)
Hesperus, Colorado
Deland, Florida
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Homosassa, Florida
Hudson, Florida
Lakeland, Florida (4 reports)
Lutz, Florida
Morriston, Florida
Naples, Florida (2 reports)
New Port Richey, Florida
Morrice, Michigan
Pinconning, Michigan
Scottville, Michigan
Kasota, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Elba, New York
Himrod, New York
Merrick, New York
Niagara Falls, New York
Syracuse, New York (2 reports)
Westhampton, New York
Asheville, North Carolina
Charlotte, North Carolina
Dudley, North Carolina
Greensboro, North Carolina
Oxford, North Carolina
Pittsboro, North Carolina
Rowland, North Carolina
Fargo, North Dakota (2 reports)
Akron, Ohio (2 reports)
Jay, Oklahoma
Owasso, Oklahoma
Yukon, Oklahoma
Cheshire, Oregon
Eugene, Oregon (3 reports)
Grants Pass, Oregon
Pocahontas, Tennessee
Viola, Tennessee
Alvarado, Texas
Aransas Pass, Texas
Arlington, Texas (2 reports)
Austin, Texas (4 reports)
Bedford, Texas
Boerne, Texas
Brazoria, Texas
Colleyville, Texas
Dallas, Texas (3 reports)
Deer Park, Texas
Denison, Texas
El Paso, Texas (3 reports)
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Georgetown, Texas
Pipe Creek, Texas
Pleasanton, Texas
Port Isabel, Texas
Red Oak, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Sherman, Texas
Salt Lake City, Utah
Tremonton, Utah
Coeburn, Virginia
Dublin, Virginia
Roanoke, Virginia (2 reports)
Stafford, Virginia