Trumpet Vine, Trumpet Creeper, Cow-Itch Vine
Campsis radicans

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Campsis (KAMP-sis) (Info)
Species: radicans (RAD-ee-kans) (Info)
Synonym:Tecoma radicans
Synonym:Bignonia radicans

Orange

Red-Orange

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

From hardwood cuttings

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By simple layering

Wetumpka, Alabama

Queen Creek, Arizona

Tucson, Arizona

Wesley, Arkansas

Burlingame, California (2 reports)

Clovis, California

San Carlos, California

San Clemente, California

Santee, California

Vincent, California

Denver, Colorado (2 reports)

Hesperus, Colorado

Deland, Florida

Gulf Breeze, Florida

Homosassa, Florida

Hudson, Florida

Lakeland, Florida (4 reports)

Lutz, Florida

Morriston, Florida

Naples, Florida (2 reports)

New Port Richey, Florida

Muskegon, Michigan

Pinconning, Michigan

Scottville, Michigan

Kasota, Minnesota

Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)

Minnetonka, Minnesota

Elba, New York

Himrod, New York

Merrick, New York

Niagara Falls, New York

Syracuse, New York (2 reports)

Westhampton, New York

Greensboro, North Carolina

Oxford, North Carolina

Pittsboro, North Carolina

Rowland, North Carolina

Fargo, North Dakota (2 reports)

Akron, Ohio (2 reports)

Jay, Oklahoma

Owasso, Oklahoma

Yukon, Oklahoma

Cheshire, Oregon

Eugene, Oregon (3 reports)

Grants Pass, Oregon

Pocahontas, Tennessee

Viola, Tennessee

Alvarado, Texas

Aransas Pass, Texas

Arlington, Texas (2 reports)

Austin, Texas (4 reports)

Bedford, Texas

Boerne, Texas

Brazoria, Texas

Colleyville, Texas

Dallas, Texas (3 reports)

Deer Park, Texas

Denison, Texas

El Paso, Texas (3 reports)

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Georgetown, Texas

Pipe Creek, Texas

Pleasanton, Texas

Port Isabel, Texas

Red Oak, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)

Sherman, Texas

Salt Lake City, Utah

Tremonton, Utah

Coeburn, Virginia

Dublin, Virginia

Roanoke, Virginia (2 reports)

Stafford, Virginia

Plymouth, Wisconsin

Pulaski, Wisconsin

South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

On Jul 15, 2015, vinevictim from Alameda, CA wrote:

I looked up Tordon, recommended in an earlier post. Tordon IS agent Orange (wikipedia)! My neighbor took a chain saw to my TrumpetV when the trunk was 6" in diameter. It then came up somewhere else, grew out of my yard and down the entire block, up into the trees where I could see the flowers from my second story. At least I thought it had left my yard-wrong! Had a 30 foot broken pine branch removed today; Discovered a new trumpet vine trunk, about 10" diameter, wrapped around my accessory building. So depressing! It covered 2 stories of my house, even grew into my ATTIC-where it turned white, outgrowing its own photosynthesis. Even after it dies, the deadwood stubbornly clings and won't fall or blow off. This plant will be sprouting after a nuclear holocaust. Destructive, invasive. Shoul... read more

On Apr 21, 2015, greatgardeningg from Aurora, MO wrote:

READ ABOUT BEFORE PLANTING!!! WARNING-read extensively about this vine before planting! It literally has a dozen ways it self-propagates; so if you don't want your yard to be the amazon jungle of trumpet vine--understand how to CONTROL it BEFORE you plant it!!! Pretty but SCARY, sort of like 'fatal attraction' of the plant world!

On Apr 14, 2015, rob4567 from Collierville, TN wrote:

I inherited an established American specimen ten years ago that lives in a part sun/shade remote area on the back yard property line. It always spreads towards the sunnier location but i easily prune it back every fall. i encourage it to grow up under story privet ligustrum.

i propagated this specimen to southern Mo four years ago where it has yet to bloom but otherwise it looks reasonably ok amidst the Virginia creeper

On Apr 7, 2015, TabbiDawn from Port Richey, FL wrote:

I moved into a house with a Orange trumpet vine growing on the back fence, I've only gotten one bloom from it in the past year and while it has spread a foot or two in that time there is very little foliage, is there anything I can do to encourage more foliage and blooms? Everything I've read on it is a warning on how fast it grows and how to keep it contained but very little on how to keep it healthy.

On Feb 7, 2015, DimblesGarden from Barnardsville, NC wrote:

Please, folks, read the following article by Professor David Creech at Austin State University on the varieties of Campsis. http://sfagardens.sfasu.edu/UserFiles/File/PLANTS/Campsis gr...
My Campsis grandiflora has been slow to bloom but has not been invasive. Its few blossoms have been magnificent.

On Oct 2, 2014, ZenSojourner from Fairborn, OH (Zone 8a) wrote:

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this plant negative infinity. I cannot express enough just how dangerously invasive this plant is.

I, too, love the blossoms and the way it attracts hummingbirds and butterflies. For many years it was on my list of plants I desperately wanted to have someday.

After a mere 3 months of dealing with the neighbor's trumpet vine on a common back fence, I thank the powers that be every day that I never managed to plant it anywhere, leaving a problem behind me to trouble and dismay former neighbors and new tenants.

We are in a desert climate. We are renting a home where the previous owner had laid down 30' of astroturf, black plastic, and rock in lieu of having an actual yard. If I owned this property instead of rentin... read more

On Aug 20, 2014, yrrej from El Paso, TX wrote:

Here in El Paso, Texas, this vine is the most popular and strongest growing of any vines. It covers very thoroughly to heights over 10' and spreads horizontally as well. It is perennial with the leaves dropping during the winter. When it comes out in spring, it grows like gangbusters. It is fairly drought-resistant once established, but prefers some water. One drawback is its extreme invasiveness in this area where water is available. It comes up in lawns and spreads readily and is not easily controlled. The flowers are very nice and attract hummingbirds, although the fruit attracts a large shield bug as well. A useful plant that requires some planning for proper use.

On Aug 15, 2014, Lovehum from (Zone 6b) wrote:

Prized for its striking blooms especially in full sun but also hated by some for its fast growth and near relentless desire to live. Attracts hummingbirds, creates beautiful privacy but drops all its leaves after a couple of cold snaps towards winter. Just do your research on your USDA zone and choosing a safe location before planting this vine!

On Aug 13, 2014, retmsgt97 from Lakeland, FL wrote:

This vine was growing on an adult cedar tree when we moved into the house 15 years ago. The cedar is now dead, but the vine is doing just peachy. It has since popped up behind the house, on the fence posts over 50 feet away, and is currently entrenched on over 1/2 the property. I have an orange blooming cabbage palm, several orange blooming oaks, and it is now in my pear trees. Pulling it up does not work, digging it up does not work, Round-up seems to energize it. This is not a plant, it is a sentient, evil life form bent on global domination. We do not get enough cold weather here is central FL to do anything to it, so it grows most of the year. Unless you live somewhere with 2 months or more of COLD weather, DO NOT plant this thing.

On May 28, 2014, PTetley from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

Deep South area of the US- This vine was on my property when I bought it 8 years ago. Every year, I have been fighting seeds/seedlings and rampant vines coming up below and near the white oak tree. They come up many feet away from the parent vine, and are shooting up between the expansion joints in my driveway and about 30 feet away climbing up our chain-link fence. The vines are beginning to thicken up, resembling wisteria's thick vines that pull down structures. Please reconsider ever planting this monster. I am going to wage war on it beginning this weekend, and one of us will eventually win. It may indeed be the death of me before I can rid my property of this evil. And yes, pick up the pods full of seeds and throw them in the trash!

On May 21, 2014, MrMasks from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

This is not a plant... it is a form of domestic terrorism. I seriously can't find words to strong enough to describe my hatred of this plague. I'm not one to personify plants, but I can only describe this monstrosity as malicious and evil.

I bought a house three years ago, not realizing the neighbor behind me had recently planted this booby trap about 2-3 years prior. Two summers ago, I noticed this plant was draping over the fence in my back yard and was starting to drop pods. I picked them up and cut the plant back to their side of the fence.

Last summer, it started climbing up a storage shed about 4 feet away from the fence, and I found several shooters springing up in the yard. Pulling the shooters off of the shed resulted in paint coming off WITH the... read more

On Apr 13, 2014, Zeffie from North River, ND wrote:

Got dead soil? we got the solution! grow this plant and have no fear, you can't kill it! This grows in the very alkaline soil (pH 8) of fargo hard clay pan no problem. Just dont over water it is all. I've also seen it do very well in almost pure sand and no nutrients! not a good choice for rich soils imo. Hostile limestone soils? yes! salty soil where nothing else will grow? Yup. Prune tolerant once established, quite vigorous. the yellow flava is less rampant, easier to contain.

On Mar 23, 2014, Hummingbird63 from West Warwick, RI wrote:

I can't wait to see my trumpet vine take off!!
I just got the seeds and purchased some plants online and I've the yellow and the red- orange from tractor supply I started some seeds last year.
here in RI it got a slow start so I'm hoping this year it will get some height on it.

For those of you that are having a hard time with this plant and want to get rid of it try ant spray I've heard is effective killer of the vine...

On Feb 12, 2014, Hannibalscipio wrote:

There is a bush that looks like a trumpet vine near my grandmother's house. It looks nice and healthy, but it has not spread like trumpet vines tend to. Is there a bush that looks like a trumpet vine, but does not spread?

Thank you.

On Nov 29, 2013, MurrayTX from El Paso, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This vine is as invasive as others say, but it laughs at the desert heat of El Paso while presenting a green tropical look to any wall. I had it throughout one side yard and attempted to dig up dozens to transplant to the other side last year. Maybe 20% survived, but they have since grown and starting appearing with even stronger vines 5 feet away. One may show chlorosis while several others inches away will not...so I have no idea what causes it. I would suggest this to anyone who has a rock wall or side of a house that they want covered in green, flowers, and preoccupied bees all spring until the first freeze. But know that it must be contained or else your whole yard will get it. Is also a prolific seeder, dropping feather light seeds by the hundreds from each pod. Another negati... read more

On Aug 7, 2013, patriciabs from Huntsville, AL wrote:

This vine was growing in our Virginia pines at our Christmas Tree Plantation in Lacey's Spring, AL. The day after I spent an hour or so pulling this vine from our trees, I noticed a rash that is driving me crazy. Today is Day 5 and it itches unmercifully and is not getting better! What can I do to get rid of the rash and ease the itch? I hate this plant!

On Jul 24, 2013, Sue78597 from Ingram, TX wrote:

We live in the Hill Country of Texas and have a problem with the deer eating ornamental plants. Does anyone know if they eat Trumpet Vine?

On Jul 11, 2013, jennylove from Flemington, NJ
United States wrote:

Hindsight is 20/20 ... I didn't do any research, and had no idea this was a potential invasive ... but I probably wouldn't have believed anything bad about this plant anyways ... I planted in the ground, let mother nature take care of it (meaning: i didn't water, fertilize, or pay any special attention to it), and within the first two years it was beautiful & everything i'd hoped it would be. And for the past 5-6-7 years, it continued to grow nicely; we were able to keep a tightly maintained tree-top canopy full of flowers on a single trunk over a small sturdy arbor at the gated entrance to our 50'x100' garden on our 5-Acre property ... BUT... the plant is now in its 8th-9th year, and is RELENTLESSLY SPREADING, UNDERGROUND, POPPING UP EVERYWHERE, 20', 30', 50', 70' away from the handsome-... read more

On Mar 2, 2013, jbuk from dartford
United Kingdom wrote:

My Grandson bought me one of these at the end of last year, I have kept it in a pot in the Greenhouse, I am going to plant it when weather bucks up a bit,I hope here in Kent U.K. it won't be so invasive, anyway i am 75 so someone else will have to deal with the problem in the future Ha! Ha!

On Nov 4, 2012, Columbine57 from Austin, TX wrote:

My mother ordered the first plant over 20 years ago. I think it was just part of a root. I planted it for her, in front of the middle of the brick wall on the front of my house. It grew, Had to find a way to support it, because we wanted it to grow up the wall but it couldnt get a hold of the brick I guess. I put up a piece of chicken wire and the plant took off. It has grown and expanded its area to cover the area near the house to the West of where it was planted. Since the front door is back from the front wall, it grew back into the area where the front door is. The screen is a wrought iron frame, the vine is working hard to cover that with my encouragement. When it starts to hang out into the open air, I wrap it around and tuck it into the iron works. Most would call it invasive b... read more

On Aug 6, 2012, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

Nice... when its in the Woods but, not at a Pool.... I Freaking hate this Vine.

On Jun 16, 2012, ScarletRed from El Paso, TX wrote:

I have read extensively about the trumpet vine before buying it. I live in El Paso Texas were it is very dry and hot so I decided to give it a try. In this climate unless you water it, the plant will not make it. I actually LOOK for invaseive plants because I have found they are more likely to do well when the El Paso summer temperatures hit over 100. Well I must say I have been very pleased with my trumpet vine. The first summer it wrapped around my rectangular shaped column within about two months. Ironically it did most of its growing when it was the hottest and driest. I went and bought another one. I also got one for my mom since she has a long railing she wants it to grow on. The first year I only got one bushel of blooms, but now I have multiple. I hope it grows over my roof because... read more

On Mar 27, 2012, pallietx from Castroville, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I lived in New York about an hour north of Manhatten for almost 30 years. I had 3 trumpet vines all at the side of and under the deck on the house. I never had any problems with the plant as long as seed pods were removed before they ripen and the plant cut back each spring before new growth developed. That was what I was taught to do from my grandmother who had a trumpet vine for over 50 yrs. in Texas. She never had any problems with it straying or messing anything up. When the new owners bought her house I gave them instructions on the care of the vine. I visited the my grandmother's old house a few years ago after moving back to Texas and they still have the same trumpet vine with no problems.

On Mar 17, 2012, Kjoygardenmum from Sheridan, OR wrote:

Had to put neutral due to lack of experience with this. I wanted to plant this soooo bad! It's drop dead gorgeous, has lovely foliage and is a plant that is supposed to be wonderful for hummingbirds and have some herbal use as well. So I bought seeds and there are a dozen or more under my growing lights as I sit here. I understand the positive comments but was seriously impacted by the negative ones ( I always wondered why it was called cow itch vine). So here I make my solemn vow. I promise to dump everyone of those little devils into the trash as soon as I am done typing, Amen!

On Mar 1, 2012, NebraskaFarmer from Shickley, NE wrote:

For those struggling to control Trumpet Vine, you can use Tordon RTU. Whenever you cut off a sprout or vine, apply the liquid liberally to the stump. It's best in the fall as the plant is storing nutrients and will carry the herbicide down into the roots for an effective kill. You do need to be careful about other nearby woody plants as it will damage them too if you get it near their roots. It will not harm grasses.
Tordon RTU is a premixed version of Tordon 22K and is legal for home use in the United States. (Tordon 22K requires a license for purchase.)
Tordon will work much better than Roundup on woody plants.

On Jan 8, 2012, Ryliethereddog from Granite City, IL wrote:

My neighbor has this plant in his yard at the corner of his privacy fence. My fence is attached to his. This plant has physically grown into his fence. I have had to vigilant each year with this thug to be certain that I cut this thing off of my fence.
This plant has sent shoots up into my yard 30 feet away from the main plant. I have dug, pulled and cut the shoots without success. I have cut the shoots and "spritzed" the remaining stems with Round-up killing a bush in my yard in the process. Nothing has worked.
This plant is indeed invasive!!!!

On Jul 15, 2011, DaveRF from North Zanesville, OH wrote:

Invasive is the operative word. Living in a mobile home park, my now deceased neighbor had a trellis installed on our property line for privacy, you guessed it, the garden center planted a trumpet vine. FF several years and the neighbor passed on, the new neighbor now has a "healthy" trumpet vine he says he's trying to control. I made the mistake of "pruning it back" in June (he told the police I "attacked" his trumpet vine) and it promptly thanked me with lush vegetation, blooms, and more runners now appearing throughout my yard, on the other side of my home, to the point I pointed my landlord to your website to learn about what a potential problem they have on their hands. We are in our sixties, one way or the other won't be here either of us and they will have a "benign thug" to deal ... read more

On Jul 5, 2011, pastapicker from Columbus, OH wrote:

It takes 3-4 years for it to mature to the point of producing bloom, and another year or 3 before it starts to spread. Keep that in mind when reading of other's experiences who say that it is easy to control or they have had no problem.

BUT the vines are very strong and heavy, and will invade and damage structures within 20 feet and farther --like into crawl spaces, under siding, pavement and patios. Including those of your neighbors.

Cold weather does not "control" it. I have sprouts after a winter with temps to -20F, years after the main plant was cut down.

The roots are extremely strong --they start tiny and develop into arm-sized aggressive spreaders 2-3 feet underground. The more you cut or dig out the visible sprouts, the farther and m... read more

On Jul 4, 2011, TXBay from Palacios, TX wrote:

during these days of extreme drought in Texas we've depended on our trumpet vine to protect the critters who depend on areas of shade to live. Chameleons especially
need areas where they can cool down. At first we weren't pleased to have to deal with a self seeded trumpet vine but now we realize it houses a world of creatures who are depending on it to survive the drought.

On Jul 4, 2011, Daylily_Diva from Santee, CA wrote:

I live in SoCal and have two of these planted at opposite ends of my yard and, yes, they are slow growing the first year or so but then they really take off. I have pruned them back hard every spring and - since the bloom on new growth - get lots of flowers. My only seemingly unique comment is that - on the same root stock - on the same stem - there will be bright red flowers and also brilliant purple ones at the same time. No nurseryman or our landscapers have seen anything like it - it's really beautiful in full bloom. Have any of you heard of this before?

On Jul 4, 2011, pennylen from Russellville, AR wrote:

I have this growing on a pergola over my patio...next to my house. Not a good place to have it since it really likes to climb over my roof. We prune it severly to keep it off the roof spring and fall. I will say it does attact hummingbirds very well and bumble bees and I am all for those pollinators coming around. Another problem I see is trumpet vine starts pop up everywhere from the rizomes being underground. I just keep cutting them off and have resigned myself to this little chore being part of having the vine. I got my vine on a back road growing on a pole and the rest, as they say, is history! LOL It covers a pergola very well along with my Lady Banks rose and provides wonderful shade and brown thrushes and cardinals make their nests every year there, so all in all, it has its useful... read more

On Jul 4, 2011, atacatsa from Pleasanton, TX wrote:

I will admit it can spread, but it is no worse than the passion vine. I think, from reading the comments, that it may be like the mesquite tree which is native here, but can be invasive. I learned that if you cut a mesquite tree down, it has buds under the soil which then sprout making a single trunk tree into four or five. Farmers swear that a mixture of diesel fuel and remedy will kill mesquites. You have to have a pesticide license to buy some of these things and they are expensive. You might check with your county extension agent as to how to eliminate the plant if you don't like it. It also takes three or four years to bloom and there are new cultivars which are not so invasive and have larger flowers.

On Jul 4, 2011, chery11e from Plymouth, WI wrote:

Cheryle from Plymouth, WI
This is my 6th year having a trumpet vine. At 4 yrs. I finally got flowers on it....not many. The fifth year it got a lot. It grows bigger every year. I have it on a trellis behind my fountain....am planning on getting another trellis several feet away, and training it to go over there......away from my deck. So far, it has stayed where I planted it. No extra shoots in the lawn or rock garden. I haven't had a problem with the itchies. It is beautiful when in bloom. Wish me luck.

On Jul 4, 2011, noelpne from Lancaster
United Kingdom wrote:

Here in Northern England, I 'm not a user ( which is why I'm
a neutral ) --- but I suggest that this plant is used in an as big container/pot as possible, with a watering/drip tray underneath, to give the plant both a large reserve of soil + to isolate it from the real ground.

Regarding the use of Round-Up - perhaps something in the Armory that is stronger that this could be tried? What else
can be utilised verses e.g. Japanese Knotweed in the USA ? We also use Picloram ( " Tordon 22K" ), Triclopyr
( " Garlon 4 " ) & 2,4-D ( In a mixture with Picloram "Atladox HI " or Triclopyr & Dicamba "Broadshot ")
Imazapyr (" Arsenal " / " Chopper" /"Assault " has been withdrawn in the UK but may be o.k. to still buy in the USA ) and there is als... read more

On Jul 4, 2011, Phoolan from San Luis Obispo, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

NEGATIVE NEGATIVE NEGATIVE

I bought a home in South Texas which had trumpet vine well established along the fence of the back yard. It was impossible to tell how old it was, but the fence was densely covered and it had entirely overtaken a telephone pole, with vines traveling both directions along the wires. There was evidence of it having been removed from the garage prior to my owning the property. The vine was cracking my swimming pool 20 feet from the fence. I thought I could cut it back and co-exist with it while I reclaimed the part of the garden where it was sprouting.

How wrong I was.This plant is a thug.

I tried Round-up. Nothing. I cut it and tried to dig it out. I discovered roots as thick as my forearm zigzagging everywhere and as... read more

On Jul 4, 2011, wakingdream from Allentown, PA wrote:

I grew the Trumpet Vine from a cutting taken from my mother's birthplace in Afton VA. In my zone 6 Pennsylvania garden, it has grown "successfully", swallowing a basketball pole, a shed, three large shrubs and is trying to cross the open easement into my neighbor's hedge.

After 15 years of growing this without allergic incident, my husband and I were simultaneously assaulted with a hideous attack of itching after we pruned and chipped up branches, both woody and soft growth. The chipper bag itself continued to cause itching and was repeatedly rinsed and even soaked to remove the allergens.

Although it blooms attractively, placement of this vine on your property should be carefully considered. Nothing of value should be near it as it will swamp over everyth... read more

On Jul 4, 2011, dottieskipper from Montgomery, AL wrote:

Kill it, Kill it, Kill it. I am not allergic to any other plant, not poison ivy, ect. But this Cow-Itch vine will cause me to lose sleep for 6 weeks even touching through a garden glove. You only have the smallest of red spots, but it will spread throughout your blood street until you are screaming MERCY> As I said, killl it, kill it, kill it. Nature keeps it alive enough, don't add to the problem.

On May 24, 2011, roipolloi from Morton, PA wrote:

PLEASE don't plant this unbelievably invasive plant! I planted this at my old house against the light pole and when I found it removed one day I was angry. Now I realize that whoever took it away did me a big favor!

When I moved into my current house I planted another one next to my new pole. The first year it did little. When it grew high enough to arch over it began to bloom - profusely. I found out that it was the talk of the neighborhood and that everyone admired it. Then one spring I discovered to my dismay that it had suddenly sprouted volunteers around my front lawn. The roots had gone under the sidewalk. The day after every weekly cutting it would already be sticking up over the grass. I tried pulling them out but they broke off at the soil line ... read more

On Apr 14, 2011, tstephenj from Pittsburgh
United States wrote:

I have two trumpet vines growing along my privacy fence. I've never had a problem with either of them over the past ten years or so. Sure, they sprout a bit from the root system but this has never been a problem. Those sprouts get mowed or occasionally pulled and by fall they stop growing back.

If you've ever had a black locust cut down, you've probably experienced very aggressive growth from the remaining root system -- sometimes sending up a dozen or two new trees, but the trumpet vine doesn't even compare . . . though the vine itself is pretty zesty when it comes to growing, the offshoots are minimal. Still, like a lot of plants, it requires some measure of maintenance. If you don't want to mess with it, then it's probably not for you.

Personally, I ... read more

On Mar 28, 2011, Cchicken from Dexter, ME wrote:

My suggeation is to use the same method we did to erradicate Bamboo. Cut to root level, cover with black plastic, weigh down [ we used rocks], leave on for 2 years. The plant needs light to grow!

On Feb 10, 2011, SEIGOBUNCH from Port Saint Lucie, FL wrote:

HELLO EVERYONE!
I'VE ENJOYED READING THE INFO ON THE TRUMPET VINE, THANK YOU! I WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO YOUR COMMENTS. I'VE OWN THIS VINE FOR ALMOST THREE YEARS. I'VE ALWAYS KEPT IT IN A POT WITH A FOURTH OF THE POT IN THE GROUND WITH A TRELLIS ATTACHED TO SUPPORT THE GROWTH. ABOUT THE GROWTH, I'VE HAD JUST ENOUGH TO COVER THE TRELLIS WHICH IS ABOUT 5 FT. I'VE NEVER CUT THIS VINE AND WATERED IT SPARINLY. IT HAS NEVER HAD
FLOWERS. HOWEVER, IT LEAVES APPEAR TO BE
HEALTHY AND GREEN. SO MAY BE THE WAY TO CONTAIN THIS BEAUTIFUL VINE IS TO KEEP IT POTTED. SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK!
THANKS ONCE AGAIN!

On Oct 26, 2010, CrossvineCrazy from Plano, TX wrote:

We liked the occasional color on this vine and had four Crossvines planted by the fence in our backyard. It grows well in the Dallas area and requires occasional trimming. I never had any problem with suckers or spreading until I replaced our fence and decided to eliminate the crossvines. I first cut them off and left the stumps. I decide to dig out the root on one of them - a big mistake. It was a big contorted mass, but I thought I had pretty much gotten it out. Wrong! After a couple months, I saw several vines come up a few feet away back in the pool equipment area. Then as the summer progressed, they came up everywhere - in the lawn, the landskaping, further and further away. I finally resorted to RoundUp, but they keep coming back. I found this forum hoping to find a solution. From w... read more

On Sep 12, 2010, OntarioGal from Chatham

I live in southwestern Ontario, Canada. About 15 years ago I received a flyer in the mail about this vine. The pictures showed a gorgeous plant with beautiful flowers and I though this would be a wonderful addition to our backyard along our wooden fence. I bought two and when they arrived in the mail, they looked like dead sticks of wood. I complained and the company sent me two more. I never imagined these 4 dead looking sticks of wood would have grown into the monster they are today!

This vine has become a nightmare! While iy provided privacy and produced beautiful flowers every summer, we have had to trim it 3 to 4 times every summer because it is drawn toward our house, the roof, the eaves and facia. It has even started shooting out from the siding of our garage. ... read more

On Jul 10, 2010, Feather10 from Debary, FL wrote:

I have to agree that this plant is quite invasive. I have one growing on my east side fence. I never planted it. I guess a little bird left it as a gift. I trim it back severly every year and it seems to keep it under control. The orange flowers are beautiful and attract hummers and butterflys. Cutting it back produces more flowers. It is growing in sandy soil and I totally neglect it except to trim it back yearly. It does wonderful.

On Jul 2, 2010, msdawn from Southaven, MS wrote:

HORRIBLE! We moved into our house 3 years ago & the next thing we know we have this vine ALL over our landscaping. We spent hours spraying it with roundup which did absolutely nothing. The next step was pulling it up...back again. It grows very very very quickly! It has choked out our evergreen trees in the landscape & has taken over our other bushes. A month ago I cleaned the landscape as best I could wrapped roots, the main roots, in plastic baggies with Roundup & some how it is still growing new vines. I have had THREE landscaping people come out to take care of it and hundreds of dollars later it is NO better! HELP! Not to mention I broke out in a horrible rash from it! Ha, it just keeps giving!

On Jun 16, 2010, zackhi from Roselle, IL wrote:

Does anyone know where i can get an old one and/or one that has been blooming?

On Jun 15, 2010, PatsyK9 from Lannon, WI wrote:

I live NW of Milwaukee. I planted a trumpet vine 3 years ago and it has yet to grow any bigger than about 3' tall and has not spread. It is not in the sunniest spot but has a lovely chain link fence I would love it to grow onto - it just doesn't seem to get big enough. Will it take more time? Also do these plants have different leaf shapes. Some of the photos look like mine but many do not. Mine is almost a fern like leaf.

On Jun 2, 2010, vark from Rosamond, CA wrote:

We live in a hot arrid area of Souhern California. There are several of these vines growing on the property against fences and walls, all of the orange variety. We love the beauty they provide and have non of the invasive problems many complain about. It's a shame for them because this vine produces a gorgeous flower that glows against the dark green leaves.
I do have one problem though. I've tried digging up and transplanting outgrowth from runners at the base of the plant and last year I bought and planted a 3 foot high trumpet vine. Non of them have taken. All of them shrivel and die within a month or two. I watered everyday the first three days then slowly cut back the watering depending on the heat of the day, usually two to three times a week. The first few weeks I would shad... read more

On May 20, 2010, Wodie from Hendersonville, NC wrote:

Don't plant this vine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My father planted one about 10 years ago and now it has taken over our yard underground. First it grew up our chimney and flowered so pretty year after year. My dad would cut it back completely every three years. It started to send runners out into our border and we would rip them up but then we realized about 4 years ago that it keeps throwing them out further and further and you cannot actually rip it out. If you leave just an inch of root it will continue to grow. I have spent the last 4 years trying to get rid of it and it is still growing!!! Last year we completely tore out our 10 ft by 25 ft border (shrubs, flowers, trees, trumpet vine) and then covered it with a thick layer of card board and then mulched it 4 inches deep and it still ... read more

On May 12, 2010, thanksabunch from Chewelah, WA wrote:

I am posting neutral as not to sway the numbers.... I have ordered a few of these plants for a sloping hillside I want to cover for erosion control. After reading all of your comments, I am very happy that I stopped here before planting. I WILL NOT be planting my new arrivals, instead I will chuck them in the trash (and after reading all the horror stories, maybe beautify the landfill, as it seems, these things will thrive, multiply, and take over anywhere). I appreciate those who have had success, but after dealing with and finally conquering (5 years and a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and money later) horsetail in Wester WA, I am not taking any chances.

On Apr 5, 2010, Alley660 from Dublin, VA wrote:

We have had this vine growing on a fence line at the back of my grandmothers lawn for 30+ yrs ( or so I am told ) and have never had any problems with it being invasive. Our vine was here before the house was built but has stayed where it is welcome and left the rest of the property alone. It grows beautifully with honeysuckle and up several mature, healthy trees. Plant it in an area where you can mow around it and away from any buildings :-).

On Mar 26, 2010, plant_tender from De Pere, WI wrote:

Vines, or any type plant which has a vining nature, tends to NOT like excessive acidity. Hence, to kill an invasive vine, use straight cheap white *Vinegar*. 'Feed' it to the thirsty; roots, stems, leaves. Diligently repeat as necessary, don't give up! It severely damages, & often kills vining type plants, even faster than round up. Used in conjunction with round up, it may work even better, especially when applied on a hot sunny day. I have managed to kill off even the more dreaded hideously invasive, 'Virginia Creeper Vine - Parthenocissus quinquefolia', via this method. (30' long root system, with 1" thick roots, & vined up our 50' tall tree, choked it out & killed it). It took years of using round up repeatedly, with no lasting results, ... until I learned of vinegars effects on vines,... read more

On Mar 14, 2010, Lisasflowerz from Panama City Beach, FL wrote:

What if I were to plant this in my garden but in a pot? Do you think it would still propagate? Is it the seeds that spread or the root system?

On Jan 19, 2010, sleazeweazel from Bell, FL wrote:

I often wondered why Campsis radicans was also called Cow itch vine, as I had handled the fresh plant many times barehanded with no problem. Then one day I decided to use a chain saw to cut down a big dead Campsis vine to use it in an orchid display. After making several cuts I became aware of intense itching which soon spread all over my body. The fibers in the stem were like some kind of allergenic asbestos that had been thrown into the air by the chain saw. I didn't stop itching for a week!

The only worse mistake I have made was to cut down lots of Poisonwood (Metopium toxiferum) in the Bahamas with a dull chainsaw. The poison volatilized and blasted me directly in the face. I and the rest of the crew had to be medicallly evacuated off the island!

On Oct 15, 2009, novalee518 from East Greenbush, NY wrote:

Trans-Planted this thing after it took over the vynl siding at the front of our house. Planted it against an above ground pool hoping for some privacy vines IF it survived the trans-planting. Well, it loved the spot! After three yrs., vines were growing over the pool railing and reaching for the pool water. We also began to notice some "lines" under the bottom of the pool vinyl. That's right! The da** thing was "rooting" under our pool! Dug it out two years ago and it is STILL growing from under the pool cover. Applied several doses of roundup to the roots I dug up and the "sprouts" that were showing up all over the lawn around the pool. Now it's a waiting game to see how long it can survive our attacks. Moral of the story....Be VERY careful of where you plant this lovely bush. You know ho... read more

On Oct 2, 2009, hollyhocklady from Shepherdsville, KY wrote:

I could not have said it any beyyer then Pat_in_Michigan.
I ordered this monster 4 years ago. I did not know about it then. Well it is a monster that has took over. All this year I have been digging up the roots & this thing still comes up all over my yard. I poured round up on it & I think it did kill the big tree like vine but there's more coming up. GRRRRRRRRRRRR I hate this thing!

On Aug 18, 2009, cellistry from Portland, OR wrote:

I have nothing but positive comments on the Red Trumpet Vine. On my property, it is leaning on a wooden fence/wall, growing between a rock retaining wall and the cement driveway. It has been there for decades, get a regular winter pruning, and comes back like regular in the late spring. It is not invasive in this area or at least in my yard. The only exception is the occasional sprout a few feet away, but they're very wimpy shoots I can pull out. I think it gets there from me being careless about clippings in the late fall/winter.

The hummingbirds and honeybees love it. I like providing for he wildlife. Plus, it contrasts nicely with the deep blue/purple hydrangea bush right below it. PLUS, the neighbor's lilac hibiscus shrub also attracts hummingbirds. I think it's not inv... read more

On Aug 10, 2009, hmingbrd from Sebastian, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant was growing along the fenceline on the west side of my house when we moved in here over 20 yrs. ago, zone 9b/10a in East Central FL. I gave it a positive rating mainly because the Hummingbirds LOVE it! It also makes a good privacy screen.....my neighbor's house on the west side sits very close to mine. It has since worked it's way from my house near the front of the property almost to the back, (in a northerly direction) about 150', but hasn't tried to grow along the fence in the other direct, for some strange reason. It blooms all winter here and becomes a huge mass of bright orange color.

I am one of those who react badly to this plant, but only if I get all up in it and prune a bunch of it. It apparently is a reaction that I developed over time because the... read more

On Jul 25, 2009, Pat_in_Michigan from Commerce Township, MI wrote:

EXTREMELY INVASIVE - BUYER BEWARE! Unfortunately, we're having a negative experience with our trumpet vine which was planted many years ago by a former owner. Although the flowers are beautiful and attract hummingbirds, it's actually more like something from a science fiction movie. Obviously, this should never have been planted where it is on our property. It has completely invaded garden areas and lawn that are 15-20 feet from the main plant, whose vines are like a solid tree trunk. Within the last couple of years we've realized that we're in trouble with this thing, and now after reading notes from others I'm worried that we'll be unable to kill it. There is no way to stay on top of the constant cutting back of the multiple shoots and vines that appear everywhere. I appreciated re... read more

On Jul 24, 2009, CharlieCarrah from Losantville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant grows wild along the fence-rows in the country, where I live. I was seriously considering transplanting some of the trumpet vine from the "wild" to my property, but after reading these "horror" stories, I think I'll just admire it as I drive down my road to go to work! My hummingbirds can continue to drink from my feeders...

On Jul 15, 2009, kathryn450 from Palestine, TX wrote:

My note is neutral because I just obtained some cuttings and seed pods today because I love the color of the blooms. Plus, there was some growing at my parents' farm which was recently sold.

It grows all over East Texas and I think it will be very pretty on a trellis behind my butterfly bush which has beautiful purple blooms. I will post comments when and if I can get it to grow in my yard.

So far, I am excited about adding more color and providing another source to attract birds and butterflies to our back yard.

Does anyone know why it is called cow-itch?

On Jun 15, 2009, KDGunstone from Olympia, WA wrote:

Hello-

I recently moved into a home that has a trumpet vine growing in the foundation planting near the front door. It is relatively newly planted, as it still has the 'tags' on it from Lowe's. After reading the horrendous way it consumes gardens, and lives, should I pull it now?

I am also wondering, my impression I got from reading all of the comments about this behemoth, is that is seems to be 'invasive' in the south. Am I relatively safe, living here in Washington state? Honestly, I am not sure what zone I am in, but we are quite temperate in this Puget Sound area.

Has anyone any experience in the north with this plant? The variety, or cultivar, is "Madame Galen". Any advice, suggestions as to what to do? Thanks so much! Dara

On Jun 4, 2009, trmpetvinefiter from Dallas, TX wrote:

I am doing the Trumpet Vine dance for sure...it just popped up 3 yrs ago all by itself along my back fence. It placed itself in a spacial area that was actual great for viewing this beautiful but hell-acious twining vine. It has wrapped itself around itself about 3 or 4 times and looks quite good from afar. It seemed to be under control the first few years but NOW OH NO! It is popping up everywhere and ruining our wooden fence by spreading through the spaces. My husband thinks it's pretty. But he isn't out there cutting it back and cutting it back and cutting it back! This is the summer it has decided to take over North Dallas. I have noticed a number of seedlings popping up in my yard now..they are difficult to uproot so I generally just cut them down. But I have beautiful crepe myrtl... read more

On May 29, 2009, mjsponies from DeLand/Deleon Springs, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I checked "Neutral", but only because this vine is not for the "feint of hear", you MUST pay attention to what is't doing. DON'T get it anywhere near a shrub, tree, bush, roof, of anykind what so ever,.,
Ok..those kinds of words to me mean" stick it in an "above" ground planter like an old wheelbarrrow, kids swimming pool, sandbox or ...be prepared to prune UNMERCIFULLY BIG OLD CHAINE SAW wROKS FOR ME RIGHT NOW ! Any one you don't feel like you d'eail mehave to go for the warribng,

On May 24, 2009, magicfrizbees from Lewis Center, OH wrote:

Plant it where you can control it away from flowerbeds and buildings! The grandparents had it growing up a telephone pole. The parents had it growing on the garage (a mistake). I've got one (a descendant) that has been growing on the mailbox for fifteen years. I trim it back to the main branches (some as thick as your arm) each spring and lop off any unruly shoots during the season.

Lots of volunteers, from seeds and from the roots. But I just mow them off. The flowers are gorgeous and the hummingbirds love them!

On May 5, 2009, giftgas from Everson, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

OK, I am going to be the first to admit this:

I can't grow a trumpet vine. It doesn't grow where I live, not even in direct sunlight, and I've tried 6 different sources, all of them were the invasive "uncultivated" versions.

On Mar 8, 2009, grrrlgeek from Grayslake, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Even if one believes a native can't be invasive--just because it's native in one place doesn't mean it is next door. For instance, in NH, it is native in only 1 county. In VT, it's not native at all. Here in IL, it is native in many counties but not in the one where I live. If the seeds get blown into the next county, it is then invasive even by that definition. I was given these seeds and may start one in a container on the porch but may just throw them out.

On Sep 29, 2008, britbrighton from Ancram, NY wrote:

I bought an older home that already had trumpet vine growing around the house, which at FIRST we thought looked quite charming. No more! We have a very low deck and each year it comes up from under it and crawls up the side of my house to the roof pushing up the deck boards and ripping up the siding and gutters in its path. It has invaded the other sides of the house as well and made its way into our lawn. To add to the insult it only gave me one flower for all of the trouble it has caused! We tried digging it up but after a three foot trench around the house and endless 1' by 6" inch tubers and roots of it that we yanked out with MUCH work we gave up. There is still more of this creature spreading its tenticles around my gardens. I have planted heather and russian sage and other invasives... read more

On Sep 27, 2008, gardensymphony from Meadville, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is my first post on DG, and I must admit to really appreciating the wisdom and the wacky humor of DGers!!!

As far as Campsis Radicans grows, here are my thoughts:
- I planted a (bought) vine on the west side of a second story deck as I wanted to create summer shade over the doors/windows. 3 years later, it's still barely 5 feet over the railing.
- That's OK, as the narrow evergreens are starting to come up over the railing for the shade issue, but I must admit to loving the hummingbirds that now grace the deck!
- There are no suckers, or anything at the base. Maybe our winters are the controlling factor (we are 30 miles south of Lake Erie, in northwest PA).
- On the other hand, a neighbor has a vine that crawls up to the 3rd story each ... read more

On Sep 12, 2008, gma6 from West Chester, PA wrote:

I actually love the vine but I have had it for three years and it has never bloomed!

On Aug 14, 2008, Honor_the_Earth from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

Two little comments I'd like to make to comments I've read here:
1) Please consider using a natural plant killer instead of Round-up or any other chemicals that are bad for the environment. Salt pellets, such as used in water softeners, work wonders. Dig up as much of the "mother" plant's root system as you can, then put the salt in there. It will travel through the root system and kill of much of the original plant. It will actually kill anything it touches so be careful to place the salt away from plants you want to keep. For hardy plants, a second treatment is sometimes required.

2) Regarding the alternative recipe suggestion for hummingbird feeders, please consider using raw sugar rather than white sugar. The reason sugar is white is because it's bleached -... read more

On Jul 31, 2008, Jiny from Tokyo
Japan (Zone 10a) wrote:

From reading many of your bad experiences with this potentially nasty invader. may I suggest trying Campsis grandiflora 'Morning Calm. I have one here in Japan zone 9, it is far less invasive than most other trumpet vines and flowers orange pink from late May to
early October. Like most vines it requires good firm support and
regular pruning. Prefers a neutral or slightly acidic soil, best in full sun or partial shade. It has never self propagated from seed in my garden, that I am aware of but if you weed on a regular basis as I do then perhaps you'd never know. I do hope this is helpful to those of you that love
the flowers but hate the habit!

On Jul 16, 2008, daylilyfanatic wrote:

This palnt looks so good in pictures but i don't think i'm going to grow it know since it's so invasive.

On Jul 9, 2008, dclazel from Georgetown, TX wrote:

I planted a trumpet vine between a wall and a sidewalk about 7 years ago and trained it up and over the edge of the garage roof and over my arched doorway. People often stop on the street to say how pretty it is. It attracts hummingbirds as they pass through in spring and fall.

In my area it blooms from Feb.-Nov. When the leaves fall off, I prune it back a little so it isn't spreading across the roof. I have found that it is not interested in going under the shingles; because of the lack of light, I guess. It does like to attach itself to the painted eaves, but it can be pulled away easily. Any remaining holdfasts can be lightly sanded and painted over and it looks as if they were never there. Last year it made its way under the sidewalk and began putting up shoots in the ya... read more

On Jun 30, 2008, anderson49412 from Fremont, MI wrote:

When we bought our current home I was so excited to see the vines on the chain link fence, now a year later I am sick because of the damage they have done to the fence and my neighbors garage. The vine has knocked the caps off the base posts at the corners of the fence, it has created much damage just to the fencing structure itself. My neighbor took a chain saw and cut the vine back to the top of our fence, a month later and the vine is back on his garage roof and into the soffits! As beautiful as the flowers are it is the most invasive plant I have every dealt with. It has taken over my back yard and am now finding shoots 300 feet away. My neighbor and I will be cutting this beast down during the winter and in the early spring will be digging in my garden to find the roots and will gi... read more

On Jun 25, 2008, pcjmgreene from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

We are renters in a house with a large trumpet vine "tree" on a chain link fence. For the people that say it is hard to get it to grow or that it is easy to keep on top of, I really feel that it must be a relatively new plant (ie. younger than five years old). I say this because it seems that while the beginning life of this plant seems no problem and then easy to keep on top of - eventually it becomes a darn hydra! Every time you cut off one root, eight more spring up in its place!!! I have now found serious (in other words bigger than my husband's thumb!) sprouts on the opposite side of my house from the darn plant. It gets everywhere. It is in BOTH of my neighbor's yards and I spend at least one to two hours EVERY week hacking away at the various sprouts that pop up everywhere. I ... read more

On Jun 17, 2008, skyvalleygal from Dillard, GA wrote:

Wow, I thought it was just me! We first purchased this plant to use as a screen for very high lattice under a deck. I was drawn to it specifically because it supposedly attracts hummers. In the 2 years we lived at that house, it spread but not so that I realized how invasive it would become. We built a new house and turned that house into rental property. Not realizing the invasive qualities of the plant, I again allowed my husband to buy a couple more and use them to run on an arbor over a swing. By the time we had lived in the new house a couple years, I began fighting the battle. Pulling up runners, dosing it with roundup, cutting it back severly with hedge clippers. My husband never acknowledged my fight. We have since sold both houses. When we went back to the 1st house after our tena... read more

On Jun 8, 2008, woodensandals from Merrick, NY wrote:

I am trying to rid my yard of this awful plant. It's a curse on the garden. It was planted at my house somewhere between 1958 and 1965 so "Audrey" is older and more established than I am. I'm not sure if I will win this battle.

It traveled under my solid cement front stoop. It is growing in 8 places right now. Considering it's been around so long I think it's been taking tips from terrorist supporting countries that build their base camps near schools with children. Every place it comes up is next to a plant I can't bear to harm. (my two old roses, and some very healthy azaleas)

Please, anyone thinking of planting this weed - Stop!
Buy a nice clematis or some harmless marigolds. Save yourself the lifelong battle.

On Jun 6, 2008, weatherguesser from Salinas, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Mine is growing on a sturdy fence in a strip between the fence and a concrete walk so, as someone else said, it's sort of naturally restricted. It does try to take over the world, growing out every which way, but is fairly easy to control with constant pruning of the more aggressive creepers. It froze hard two winters ago and had to be cut way back and lost all its leaves; last year the leaves came back and this year it's blooming again. The hummingbirds in my yard love it.

On May 23, 2008, LHicks from Charlotte, NC wrote:

I had this in a pot on my patio when we lived in a condo and although it had plenty of leaf growth, it never bloomed. Last spring, I planted it in a hill garden which is several feet behind the house. It had 1 bloom. this year it's coming up again and so far it's only growing in the hole that I planted it in. When I saw a note indicating it attracts Japanese Beetles, I felt sick. Those beetles tried to destroy my rose bushes last year and the last thing I want to do is attract them with little orange calling cards. Thankfully it's just beginning to grow and is only about 12" high. After reading the rest of the plant file information on this plant, I'm truly regretting the day I bought it. When I get home from work tomorrow, I'm going to dig it up, put it in a garbage bag, add some weed kil... read more

On May 21, 2008, RustyStar from Redondo Beach, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

It's huge and grows all along the border between our house and the next. We've cut if way back, but it continues to grow and grow. Pretty and the hummingbirds seem to like it - but it's HUGE!!

On May 20, 2008, JuniorMintKiss from Tremonton, UT (Zone 6a) wrote:

My husband and I have two trumpet vines on our property since moving into our house last summer. Sadly, the previous homeowners were extreme nature lovers and let every plant on the property careen outta control (because it was "natural") and these vines were suffering for a good pruning. So we did that and now they're a treat to have.
Our house used to be a horse corral and so we have these iron pipe fences around our property. In the back are these two vines, all by their lonesome, and that's how they like to be. Yes, these vines are invasive, so keep one step ahead of them. If you are adamant about having one of these vines, please plant it in a nice secluded area, away from neighboring trees and your house or other wall (unless you'd like to have it grow there). That's why I am... read more

On May 18, 2008, MtnGardener from Longmont, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have been nursing my two plants for 5 years. Last year was the first year that there any flowers of note. the bees went mad after it. The large tublar flowers are very showy. In my area it's more of a long caned shrub than a true vine. I've been trying to entice it to grow up the columns of our west facing porch. It's extremely slow growing, non invasive and a bit maddening as others report how fast this plant grows. It has no shade from noon on and is on a drip irrigation system.

On Apr 27, 2008, DLKeur from Sandpoint, ID wrote:

I haven't had one in 15 years, and I'd love to get another. I tried a start from someone's, and it didn't take, which rather surprised me, since I thought they were quite easy to start from cuttings.

When I had mine before I moved, it crawled up a big pine tree, too, like someone else here mentions. It was absolutely beautiful. I never had problems with it spreading, but that may be dumb luck since I planted it in a sunken plastic cargo container. If it is as invasive as suggested by some, I think I'd recommend planting it in a container sunken into the soil. I do that with a lot of my plants.

On Apr 6, 2008, kpr123 from Duncan, OK wrote:

I do not like them, Sam -I-am!
I do not like Campsis radicans.
Do not plant them here or there--
Do not plant them any where!!
(with profound and sincere apologies to Dr. Seuss)

The original plants are located over 150 feet at the south end of my block in a line of cedar trees. In my twenty-year nightmarish battle with this tenacious invasive I have seen it come up between the concrete and foundation of the neighbor's garage apartment, crack the concrete and cinderblock retaining wall around the outdoor storm cellar, and the roots have cracked both the walls and floor of the outdoor storm cellar. I have replaced the fence along the alley twice. I have had to take out two mature trees. This year I will most likely lose my 9 foot tall, twenty yea... read more

On Mar 20, 2008, guspuppy from Warren, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love the look of the plant and flowers, but it is way too invasive, comes up all through the yard by underground runners and we haven't come up with a way to contain it. I keep digging up the runners and/or spraying them with woody brush killer, it does help some without killing the main plant but OMG.lol
Kathy

On Feb 20, 2008, fredrump from Naples, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I like the vine because it seems to bloom all the time and butterflys are constantly zooming all over it. I have the vine next to my driveway in front of a background of Cabbage palms. It is as invasive as any other vine and is probably better at home oin a large place where it can get full sun.

On Nov 18, 2007, lshields from Sag Harbor, NY wrote:

4 years ago we planted trumpet vine at various locations along a fence along with clematis and wisteria. Goal was to hide the fence and compete with extremely invasive asian climbing vine which is impossible to completely get rid of and also spread by birds eating its berries. The plan has worked for the most part but of the 3 vines trumpet vine grew the slowest and was the last vine to flower. But so far would do it again. Hoping to get more hummingbirds from it over time. The orange flower variety grew substantially faster than the yellow.

Update 11/2008
6th year produced many flowers on 1 plant that gets the most sun. A true hummingbird magnet, but absolutely essential to plant in a "safe" place where it can take over and go wild.

On Oct 27, 2007, creekwalker from Benton County, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

I absolutely HATED having this vine in my yard! I like seeing the pretty blooms, anywhere else. But I battled this weed for almost 20 years and never could get rid of it. Weed killer, breaking it off every time it would grow, etc. Once it grows big enough, there is almost no way to get that root out of the ground, and if any is left, it continues to grow!

It would grow on the side of my house and dig in to the paint and when it does that, there's no getting it off except for pulling the paint off too. Even when I finally put siding on my house, it grew behind the siding and up. I hate the stuff and would never plant it.

A friend wanted to grow some, and after warning her, I brought her some young plants but she was never able to get them to grow. How ab... read more

On Sep 14, 2007, SimbiDlo from Snyder, TX wrote:

ehh, I gotta put neutral because I do like the flowers and all but the thing is so invasive! It attracts fire ants here and it is near impossible to kill. We have it completly covering our chicken pen and my grandmother has tried every legal herbacide to get rid of it, it just won't die!

On Aug 19, 2007, krissy_p from Pipe Creek, TX wrote:

I love this vine, the flowers are beautiful and it can cling to lattice or whatever so you dont have to tie it up and baby it. I dont consider it more invasive than most other vines I have grown.
I am actually surprised to see that people dislike this plant, and I am shocked that it causes skin reactions in some people; I have never had any kind of reaction to it.

On Jul 5, 2007, gateatlantis from Brewton, AL wrote:

I was wondering, in Alabama we have a vine called the Cow-itch Vine that grows out of control. Is the Trumpet Vine or Hummingbird Vine the same thing as the Cow-itch Vine.

On Jul 4, 2007, Ralleia from Plattsmouth, NE wrote:

This plant was already growing on a steep bank on our property, probably planted by a previous owner that thought it would eliminate mowing the bank. Unfortunately it spread rampantly to the grassy areas and started growing into the siding of the house, causing damage on removal. It also looks very messy sprawling over the bank.

I keep cutting it back but it keeps coming up. The spread of this plant is over 500 square feet. Last year I tried to dig out the root that went towards the house, following a shoot into the ground. I gave up when I got two feet down and still hadn't found the main root.

Last week I sprayed every part I could see with poison ivy killer. I plan to repeat at weekly intervals two more times, then cover the whole thing with black l... read more

On Jun 13, 2007, kevins432 from Merchantville, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

TRUMPET VINE CAN PENETRATE ASPHALT DRIVEWAY!!!

My neighbor, who has since moved, planted a trumpet vine 6 yrs. ago on our property line. It was placed about 2 feet from my cement driveway. Her intentions were to attract hummingbirds. That's nice, I thought.

Anyway, my cement driveway was cracking so I had it removed and replaced with a new asphalt driveway about 7 months ago.

To my dismay, 3 days ago my wife found a 10" long shoot from this trumpet vine that had pushed itself right up through the new asphalt. It left the asphalt looking like a mini volcano had erupted from it. So much for the nice new driveway look.

I dug around the host plants base to see if I could remove the vine but main root seems to be disappearing ... read more

On Jun 13, 2007, russelln from Humble, TX wrote:

While I understand everyones frustration with this plant. I must point out that C. radicans is a native of the American southeast. If you are a gardener like myself who enjoys natives and trys to keep them in your garden as much as possible, all you need to do is FIND THE CORRECT PLACE. Give Trumpet Vine a more isolated location in you landscape, where their invasiveness will be less of a problem. They work well to cover the base of large oak and pine trees in my landscape and lack of sun does not slow them down. It is very drought tolerant and quite self sufficient . I have to say that the beauty of a C. radicans blanketing the branches of my trees and filling my yard with butterflies, hummers and other birds is worth the little extra effort in maintaining it and keeping it in chec... read more

On May 28, 2007, JonthanJ from Logansport, IN wrote:

While I would be very careful with this plant, even here in Zone 5, I was surprised to see that Frank Lloyd Wright had used it at Falling Water in the late 1930's. The better use was in 5' diameter planters on one of the terraces. It was in the ground by the bridge over the creek too, but the soil at the site is very thin so the usual underground spreading is limited. They used Wisteria up at the guest house. I am sure the gardeners were instructed to handle both of them pretty fiercely.

I'd go for a big planter with serious trellising in full sun and prune hard to keep it within bounds and remove all seedpods before they open. Mature plants bloom on new wood so any damage frost or your pruning might do is unlikely to prevent blooming.

On May 25, 2007, LhasaLover from (Tammie) Odessa, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I made the mistake 17 years ago planting one of these... no problems until a neighbor planted some also.. they then began producing seeds and coming up everywhere... now they have these tremendous runners that come up everywhere. I spent 3 years trying to kill them...

I have finally had success!

I no longer scream when I see one coming up, I just grin because I know I can kill it. One main trunk does try to send up sprouts each year ... I spray it and walk away.. next day, dead.. and it does not try again for a LOOOOONG time! Here is a pic of the two products I bought and mixed together... I use a little over 1 1/2 times full strength of each mixed in a spray bottle ... careful... it will kill anything it comes in contact with. I use a plastic glove on o... read more

On May 21, 2007, faitfarm from Romeoville, IL wrote:

We bought two small starts of this vine about 5 years ago, and planted it on an isolated 4x8 trellis in our back yard. It grew to the top the first year, though one of the vines was clipped off by rabbits. It blooms consistently from early June though July. I trim it back to the trellis each fall, and it is one of the earliest plants to green up in our yard. I have not had any problems with runners, but it is surrounded by grasses that are mowed regularly. This makes a great privacy barrier, and the flowers are beautiful.

On May 2, 2007, barefoothippi from Alvarado, TX wrote:

Oh my gosh, what can I say that hasn't already been said. We purchased the acre next door to us from an older man that spent hours & hours in his yard. I had seen the trumpet vines bloom a few times over the years, but never knew how intrusive THEY were until we began trying to weed out some of them. The man literally had vines that he purposely hung by wire covered with water hose thru trees, across roofs, under/over porches, everywhere! This past weekend we attempted to cut some from a tree that is dying from this vine. We got a lot of it out by climbing up in the tree some and pulling, and then decided to go for the base of the vine. This root at the ground level is about (I am not kidding) as big around as someone's waist and goes from this tree to 4 of five others, even to the next do... read more

On Apr 26, 2007, dirondi from Sherman, TX wrote:

I like this plant and have 4 growing up and over a pergola along with mutabilis rose. The birds like it too. I usually mow down the new sprouts since they almost always come up outside of the bed where the plants are.

On Apr 8, 2007, cactusman102 from Lawrence, KS wrote:

This plant, along with every other plant can be useful if planted in the right spot. In my opinion, it should ONLY be used to grow up a sturdy, fixed height arbor or trellis in a planting island surrounded by concrete with no other plants. It has the ability to grow when all other climbing vines fail.
As a professional landscaper, it is possible although not easy to eradicate. Round-up will work it you can spray at the right time of year (after foliage is about a month or two old with no flowers yet) There must be enough foliage to spray;
you must spray enough foliage to equal the root mass of the plant. If to little foliage, the roots will not absorb enough of the chemical. For the organic hippies out there, it is also possible to eradicate a mature plant with out rou... read more

On Mar 11, 2007, technodweeb from New Lenox, IL wrote:

I saw a beautiful specimen in No. California when I lived there. It was amazing and wonderful.

My mother had this growing in her yard, but it never bloomed (shade). She warned that I really had to WANT this plant if I took some. She said "beware, don't say I didn't warn you."

I found volunteers all over her back patio area, so I took some and I've planted it along my chain link fence.

They have bloomed in less than 3 years. I pruned it back hard during a fluke warm day we had recently.

So far, I don't have runners. I've caught it trying a couple of times. I plan on "spading" around the base of each this spring to prevent long underground runners. (as recommended by someone on this forum!)

I've ordered a yel... read more

On Mar 9, 2007, DarkTXn from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I hate this vine. It's already killed some of my trees. I've tried everything from cutting it down to the ground to weed killers. I've even dug up as many bulbs as I can and burned the parts that I can't pull out with a torch and it still comes back. This vine has taken over my yard. It covers the fence around my property and even the back of my house. I've cut and pulled the vines as high as I can reach but the vines on top of trees still kept growing. I finally climbed up there and found that roots along the vine were growing into the tree trunk. If you seed this vine pull it out before it takes over.

On Mar 6, 2007, drmhou from Houston, TX wrote:

Ok, I want to report some success in killing trumpet vine. I had a rather insidious one that was very well established growing up a tree in my yard. Yes, the flowers (way way up in the tree) were lovely but the suckers in my bedding and yard were a nightmare. I searched the web for a "kill method" and tried several, including soaking the suckers in pure RoundUp (which the plant actually seemed to like). I finally happened upon a product called Vine-X on the web. I was understandably skeptical but desparate for a solution. None of my local garden shops carried it so I ordered it online. Because my vine had about a 2 inch diameter stem, I ordered the large stem version. You apply it with a brush and I did two fairly heavy applications about 10 days apart to the stem as low as I coul... read more

On Mar 2, 2007, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Trumpet Vine, Trumpet Creeper, Cow-Itch Vine Campsis radicans is native to Texas and other States.

On Jan 29, 2007, azsunnygrl from Tucson, AZ wrote:

I planted two of these vines on either side of my driveway on my carport roof support. On the plus side hummingbirds really seem to like them. On the negative side, they are usually full of ants. My husband and daughter hate them because unless trimmed they stick out into the carport and scratch up the cars. Once trimmed, they seem to bush out even worse. One of the vines has climbed up a tree next to the carport and is about 20 feet high. I have shoots coming up on the other side of yard about 10 feet from the original vine. I do like the vine, I just wish I had planted it somewhere else!

On Jan 4, 2007, ljlchartman4 from York, PA wrote:

My husband and I saw this plant when we were on our honeymoon. They have it planted at the Biltmore in Ashville, NC. We thought that it was beautiful. After we bought our house, I found it at a local nursery. We planted it at the corner of our house in the fall, it was just a little stick with a root. By the end of the next summer we had a beautiful vine growing along side our house. Three summers later, it was flowering. We pruned it every spring and fall. We started noticing that it was sprouting up in the flower bed and then the front yard. It was climbing up under the front porch roof. We were trimming it monthly along with mowing it down in the grass. Two weeks after cutting sprouts down in the garden it would be growing again. Last spring we cut the whole thing down to ab... read more

On Nov 8, 2006, terikaz from Kalamazoo, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

My husband and I purchased our trumpet vine in hopes of hiding the ugly power pole that our energy company was kind enough to put in our yard, right next to our driveway. I have very MINIMAL pruning and am thrilled with the beauty of the blooms along with all the birds and butterflies it attracts. I have asked my neighbors if it in anyway bothers them and have received no negative responses. After 8 years, our vine is about 20 feet tall and I would not think of destroying it. The birds love to hide in the leaves all summer and it gives them a place to sit while waiting for their turn at the feeders.

On Nov 5, 2006, Veramarie from Jamestown, IN wrote:

I will celebrate the day that it becomes illegal to sell or plant this vine. Yes, it is pretty in flower, but there are other much prettier vines that are just as attractive to butterflies and hummingbirds (non-invasive honeysuckle cultivars, for instance).

For anyone who plants this and would rate it a positive, I really hope you checked with all your neighbors and they feel as enthusiastic about it as you do. My neighbors have one 5 feet from our property line, near our vegetable plot. It shoots under the ground and pops up everywhere, growing several feet in a matter of weeks. Pulling them is nearly useless, because they just pop right back up. Birds carry the seeds all over, so I even have them growing on the opposite side of my 1/3 acre yard.

Hours o... read more

On Oct 25, 2006, QueenieBee from Anthony, FL wrote:

This plant was on my property when I bought it over 7 years ago. It grows along my fence line (away from my house). We cut it back every year and so far it seems to stay where it is.

We love it because it keeps our yard full of hummingbirds!

Zone 8b

On Oct 4, 2006, cowboy_bill from Cullman, AL wrote:

Let me tell you about what we call the "cow itch vine" here in Alabama: I am not sure about what kind of blooms this thing has, but if your vine has a fuzzy surface on the main trunk of the vine then BEWARE!! This thing is worse that poison oak if you pull on the fuzzy trunks of these vines when trying to remove it (not sure if the leaves will get you as well) If you see a thick fuzzy vine (usually 1/4" to 3/4" wide, but sometimes more) and it is very tightly attached to a pine or other tree, in such a way that it would be difficult to pry it off of the tree (like it has hundreds of "fingers" that grip the bark on the back side), then WATCH out. We clear a lot of brush here in Alabama, and I hate this thing worse that poison oak! Did I mention that I HATE this vine?

On Sep 23, 2006, turbosbabe96 from Ingleside, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I saw the reddish-orange blooms..and cringed!!!! My neighbors "LOVE" the vine! I tolerated it as long as I could.When the Japanese Beetles and Whiteflies began to take over..I said, Enuff is Enuff!! Snipped the "mother" vines..and thank goodness the beast is dying..Good riddance and take the nuisance pests with you!!!

On Sep 20, 2006, cornloaf from Burlingame, CA wrote:

I'm on the fence with this plant. Actually, the plant is on the fence too. And on my trees, and my neighbor's trees, and his neighbor's trees...

A neighbor planted this in their backyard. It slowly creeped up into my backyard. The flowers are wonderful and we attract lots of bees and hummingbirds. Recently, the vine has filled up several trees and the branches are now hanging down low enough for my dog to pull on them. They started to block my star jasmine from getting sun so I decided to trim it back a bit.

I was on my roof adjusting my antenna and noticed how far this vine had spread. It looks like it is in about 6 backyards. This makes for a great privacy plant, but I'm afraid it's going to kill everything in my backyard soon. I have not noticed an... read more

On Sep 2, 2006, erica42 from Wellsboro, PA (Zone 4b) wrote:

My trumpet vine has probably had about 15 blooms total in the 10+ years I've had it. Some years no blooms at all, but always lots of vine and greenery; you can almost watch it grow. I have moved it to other areas around my house - thinking more sun, etc., still no blooms and, of course, it comes back in full force where I dug it up, even though I 'thought' I got it all. While I don't hate it, I have found it to be a disappointment.

On Aug 31, 2006, Bexter from Woods Hole, MA wrote:

Some people think that a native plant can never be called "invasive", but that's mixing up terms. Virginia creeper is not an "exotic" invasive, but it certainly can be a "native" invasive if it chokes and kills trees, or squeezes out all other vegetation in an area.

Some people think an "invasive" or "rambunctious" plant won't be a problem if they themselves are going to plant it in a place where it won't get out of control.

Well, even if it may not cause trouble for YOU, take note when you see trees in your area being leveled by vines.

So please think twice before planting something that many people in your area consider an invasive.

On Aug 20, 2006, nonillion from West Brookfield, MA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Campsis x tagliabuana 'Madame Galen' Trumpet Vine and Campsis grandiflora 'Morning Calm' Chinese Trumpet Vine are improved versions and not as aggressive as Campsis radicans. Not evergreen here, and needs 2-3 years to get used to its spot before starting to grow well. Hummingbirds love it, and so do I.

On Aug 13, 2006, lmsq from Media, PA wrote:

I have 2 plant I put in 6 years ago, never bloomed or spred.. I put another in this year and it is still not even 2in high.. i know it grows here in Pa. and well it is everywere .. but it will not grow here.. Maybe thats a good thing after readind all the comments..

On Aug 2, 2006, Irish9b from Sun City, AZ wrote:

This has been a great plant for me in in Phoenix. I have 3 0r 4 that grow as bushes up by the southwest side of my house for shade. They are old plants and kept in trim. I love the hummers. I also have planted one 2 yrs ago on a steel fence for privacy. Just have to be willing to do some trimming.

On Jul 26, 2006, catncrows from Wadsworth, NV wrote:

Slow to start in non-amended soil in zone 5, easy to control here by pruning and edging (as in lawn edging) started mine from seed against southwest facing chain link fence. It gets maximum sun all day. While not needing deep watering I have found it does better here with drip irrigation twice a week and a little Miracle Grow in early spring and mid summer.

On Jul 22, 2006, breachofwaters from Hudson, FL wrote:

Trumpet Creeper is native. I can see where some may call it invasive, but I agree that calling a native plant invasive is not the correct way to characterize this plant. I prefer to use a term I read on a web site which is pro-trumpet creeper (for the sake of the humming birds): trumpet creeper is "rambunctious."

I am somewhat ambivalent about this plant, but give it a "positive" because I think it is a nice native plant that is misunderstood and mis-used.

I have lived with trumpet creeper for the past twenty years. We inherited well-established trumpet creeper from the previous owners of our home on a little over an acre in Zone 9a (Nature Coast of Florida). Much of that timeframe(while I was working full time, raising my children, going to school...) o... read more

On Jul 20, 2006, Flowing_Quince from Gold Bar, WA wrote:

I have planted this vine at the side of my mobile with a trellis for it to start to grow on. It has only been in the ground for about two years and does not seem to be growing very well or spreading. Have not checked out the root growth since I stuck it in the ground. All your comments have alarmed me, as I am also fighting with invasive bamboo that no one told me some one had planted a number of years ago; previous owner had just kept chopping it down so that it was not visible.
Will now work to try to remove this vine before it can cause any more problems. Hopefully I have a chance since it has not been in the ground to long(don't snicker).
If I find something that helps kill it I will pass it on to the rest of you who are at your wits end.
Goo... read more

Update on August 8, 2007

Here is my update about trying to kill off this determined plant...I have been searching through all the many plant books that I have collected through the years...I tried alot of concoctions...some just killed off the leaves and tender twigs, but the plant itself still thrived. Until I tried what Jerry Baker considered a sure way to kill any plant...Straight alcohol, spray heavily to coat and saturate the soil around the roots....I had to watch for it to try to come back up and when it did, it got dosed again. By this time it was time for everything to winter over. This Spring I saw no growth and decided to dig up the roots so that I could replant the area. So far I have not seen any sign of it trying to come back. Don't know if this is of any help to the rest of you, but it is what worked for me.

On Jul 16, 2006, russelltdog from Kenner, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant grows as a weed in southeastern Louisiana. It is difficult to eradicate because the roots must be removed.

On Jul 4, 2006, vaSandy from Virginia Beach, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

We call it Virginia Creeper here because it grows wild everywhere.
It's pretty when it blooms and has an interesting seed pod, but if it gets in your flowerbed, look out! It's hard to eradicate and will come up everywhere.
Some people get skin irritation from it, use gloves.

On Jun 17, 2006, MalvaFan from Morrice, MI wrote:

To keep my trumpet vines from becoming the "Plant That Ate Cleveland" I keep them well pruned. I like to keep them in a shrub-like form. I read from some gardening book they flower better from new wood. As for the risk of contact dermatitis from Campsis radicans I have not experianced any, but to be careful one could just wear gloves. Besides morning glories, they are a great hummingbird lure.

On May 21, 2006, Cybrczch from Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

I wouldn't plant it if I was given it, unfortunately my neighbor has decided it is the *ideal* plant to grow up the power pole in her yard, right next to my fence. It has now reached the top of the pole. Sprouts are shooting up in my shade bed (in the astilbe it's nearly impossible to tell until it gets taller), any small gap in the wood fence and a couple of shoots push through, and it's licking its chops and angling toward my smoke tree... at least I'm not allergic to it (yet).

On May 18, 2006, mrsbrooks from Bowling Green, KY wrote:

This is horrible stuff. I have it growing all over the property, and have instucted my husband to mow down every shoot he sees. We had to cut it from the side of the garage with a chainsaw the root was so big! The most effective thing I have found is to cut them while fairly small and immediately spray it with Roundup Tough Brush killer. It seems to have worked so far on the ones that were growing up, around, and finally inside the house. Whew! This stuff is almost as bad as chameleon, but I have had some success killing trumpet vine, and none whatsoever in killing the chameleon.

On May 15, 2006, sandrad61 from Palmyra, NJ wrote:

Unfortunately, I too made the mistake of planting the extremely invasive trumpet vine along my fence which has now made it's way underground and intertwined in every plant in my garden. I am so sad and so desperate to get rid of this garden snatcher . Rather than pull the plant I try to dig a trench and remove a portion of the root (I feel like I'm searching for Bin Laden). I plan on taking up every plant and digging up about a 20' x 20' area to try and cut off the root system. I don't think I have ever hated anything so much in my life more than this invasive plant (except for the war in Iraq).

On May 12, 2006, Meredith79 from Southeastern, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I wanted one of these for my hummingbird garden collection. Even after reading all the negative ratings, I recently purchased one. I just bought an iron arbor to grow it on. I am hoping this will be sturdy enough to support this heavy vine. I got an idea from another forum to plant it in a five gallon bucket with the bottom cut out. They mentioned that it typically sends out shoots from the side not the bottom. So it should help keep it under control. It needs to be heavily pruned annually to control growth. If you are concerned about damage, it shouldn't be planted near trees, houses or on anything that it can't be controlled by pruning. It has been known to take down trees and walls. I do have to disagree with the comments that it is invasive. I know every one's definition of invasive is... read more

On May 4, 2006, Putnamjct from Carmel, NY wrote:

I have trumpet vine running rampant on/in and UNDER my 1/2 acre. I have dug up root sections that were 4" in diameter. I've pulled up 40 foot long sections with a full size excavator. To say this vine is invasive is an UNDERSTATEMENT!

I don't know how long previous homeowners have let this run rampant, but I am sure I will die before this thing is finally eradicated. I've cut down 4 full size maples that this vine strangled to death, and will probably have to take down a big pine tree because the vine grew up the side and it's half dead. Not counting the dozen or so smaller (under 20 foot) trees that faced an untimely demise thanks to this lovely vine.

I am now making trips onto the surrounding properties trying to lop off as much of this thing as I can. I... read more

On Apr 22, 2006, Deanlynn from Tarzana, CA wrote:

I am confused as to the negative comments on this vine.
We have a number of Trumpet vines trained to cover our pergola. We find them very slow growing and not at all difficult to keep under control. Is it possible that ours in not the same plant. Ours is called Bigonia Cherere or disticitis buccinatoria.

On Mar 14, 2006, SalemSunshine from Salem, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

I am SO GLAD I read the comments for this plant. I read somewhere that it attracts hummingbirds and butterflies. I have an empty wall in front of my house, and I have been searching for seeds or plants at nurseries and couldn't seem to find any (lucky me). HOWEVER, I hate ants, and I definitely don't want to do damage to my 100 year old home.
Thank you!

On Feb 27, 2006, nichelob_lite from North Highlands, CA wrote:

Well what can I say, it is a very invasive plant, and thats an understatement! Although it has beautiful flowers and it attracts hummingbirds it also attracts ants. Do not grow this plant unless it can be contained.

On Feb 1, 2006, sedum37 from Westford, MA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Very invasive here in Massachusetts. A friend has this growing in his seaside garden and he is constantly pulling out the runners in his garden beds and lawns. It is impossible to eradicate once it is planted. Avoid!

On Jan 25, 2006, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

This sweet little seedling vine that looks so innocent and harmless will grow up to be a 30 foot monster with roots to China. As stated above, pulling it just makes more, as it has the ability to sprout new plants from even the tiniest piece left in the ground.

I do enjoy it along the roadways and covering the abandoned barns, but wouldn't want it on my property...I've got one that I've been trying to kill for the last 5 years, and nothing seems to work.

On Jan 16, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Has anyone mentioned this is invasive?! LOL I am going to start to try to kill mine off this year. I cut it back to the ground last fall. It is on a back fence line, so where it is coming up in a neighbor's yard will be a problem. My pet rabbits keep it eaten in their large running area. BUT, I have it coming up in my food garden and compost pile. Not a pretty thing.

On Jan 4, 2006, redhed4nu from Burchard, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

These do have their place in the garden, if you can keep them contained! Ours (we have seven) have been trained into little 6-7' trees lining our driveway. The people who owned the property before us started them in the late 80's and they are still going strong... Trained on steel fence or hedge posts, and pruned once a year, they pretty much stay where they should. When the seed pods show up, we cut them right away, before they dry and are broadcast all over our yard. Once in a while, an unwanted vine will pop up on the wrong side of the driveway, so we nip it off and spray it. These are quite pretty, but I imagine if we decided to get rid of them permanently, it would be quite a job. I spent two afternoons pruning and trimming, and I didn't break out in a rash or anything of that s... read more

On Oct 1, 2005, Dhoney from Chicago, IL wrote:

I've been growing this plant for two years--no blooms yet!

On Sep 2, 2005, LarryDavid from Salt Lake City, UT (Zone 5b) wrote:

I absolutely love this vine. I have an orange and a red one in my yard. It attracts all kinds of pollinators to my garden and the hummingbirds love it! I have found it pretty easy to control as well. I just pull up the plants that germinate in the summer. It's positive features far out weigh the negative features. Two thumbs up for this great vine!

On Jun 30, 2005, monmeehan from Santa Fe, NM (Zone 6a) wrote:

wow! I just got/planted one today for my 3rd story balcony container garden. It sounds like this might be the only way to grow it. I was hoping for something to twine around the railing and uprights, that might also attract hummers. I'll have to see how it turns out!

On Aug 17, 2004, jestelleoan from Tyler, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant is very invasive here in Texas. It gives me a rash and it is a pain in the neck. It has taken me years of trying to get rid of it.

On Aug 15, 2004, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Well plants have to be pretty good for nothing for me to give them a negative. But I can't think of one thing this one is good for. It grows wild, half the time when you want it to bloom it won't and when you don't want it to grow it will and where your need it to it won't so there it is good for nothing. Like an egg sucking dog.
And it is and under ground runner that can sprint faster than a track star. And will be everwhere you don't want it to be...... :o(
Dee

On Aug 11, 2004, BethG_58 from Homosassa, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Trumpet Vine experience in Zone 9a, Citrus County, FL

Invasive? Yes. Beautiful? Absolutely.

If you're into sculptured landscapes and well-tended gardens, DON'T plant this, unless you are ready to put lots of time into making it behave. However, if you're like me, and you just love the beautiful colors & the hummingbirds it attracts, and you don't mind the natural, untamed look, and you have an area, away from structures you don't want torn down, then I'd say 'Go for it!'

I had purchased several plants some years ago (I'm thinking 3 or 4). I planted one at the base of a pine tree in my front yard. This one has managed to grow about 10-12' up the tree, and I've only discovered one underground 'runner' coming off of it. As yet, this one has never... read more

On Aug 10, 2004, BingsBell from SC, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

My one and only plant which was planted in 1989 by a vinyl fence which it never grew up. The fence is too slick for it and it is bound by the drive to my home which is concrete. It also has never bloomed. I love its dark green fern-like foliage and it mounds beautifully by the fence. I don't even nip the runners...I just shove them under the mound and they add themselves to the mound.

I haven't watered it in probably ten years because my watering system doesn't reach that far. We are considered arid here and it survives well. I ignore this plant completely and find it very tolerable here.

On Aug 2, 2004, maphead from Vancouver, WA wrote:

A mature red vine was one of the selling points of the house we purchased in '02. Hummers loved it and it was a big, shady beauty on the eastside of the house and garage.
Last year we had to dig the sucker out of the area surrounding the waste out-flow pipe where it knotted roots into the pipe to get nutrients and water. This year the remnants have shot up and I am concerned that the pipe will be blocked again soon since we are having another drought this year.

Removing the vine from the house has helped us control sweet seeking ants that previously invaded without ceasing.

I have dug up around the foundation of the house and brought up root sections 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter. I left the hole open to see what might show up. Sure enough, sprouts, ... read more

On Jul 31, 2004, barbinvegas from Gulf Breeze, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Trumpet vines can be very invasive if you don't control them. I have found that the best way to control them in the Panhandle of Florida is to plant them at the base of a long needle pine tree and let them grow up the tree. They look beautiful whether in or out of bloom and they stay relatively confined.

On Jul 26, 2004, Jamespayne from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Feel fortunate you have all of these positive, neutral, and negative responses to the Trumpet Creeper. Obviously, this is one plant you must THINK about BEFORE you plant. I built a HUGE trellis for my 2 to grow on in zone 9a, and so far no negavative results! If I can keep Japanese Honeysuckle under control, I don't forsee any problems with my Campsis radicans!

On Jul 26, 2004, jq from White Lake, MI wrote:

Very good grower once established, nice flowers which are attractive to hummingbirds and various insects. However, it can be invasive. It spreads aggressively underground and is almost impossible to pull or dig out completely. My Trumpet Vine behaved well for 40 years, covering a chain link fence and screening out the neighbors. Occasional shoots in the lawn were controlled by regular mowing. The past few years it has gone ballistic, springing up all over. Most of the shoots are coming up from (I am not exaggerating) a four foot deep pile of willow mulch. Tough plant. I am desperate enough to try a commercial Brush Be Gone product, hoping to control the new shoots. I realize it may take several applications. Although I am strictly organic, it seems an herbicide is my only hope o... read more

On Jun 23, 2004, TodPA from Malvern, PA wrote:

Wow, I never knew so many people has such strong feelings about trumpet vine! We have had a trumpet vine on our property in S.E. PA for 35 years, and while it is true that it tends to spread with time, ours is controllable with a little vigilance and more than makes up for it's "enthusiasm" with prolific flowers which by themselves attract several hummingbirds every year. (Perhaps some people's vines don't flower because they don't get enough sun?) In my hummingbird garden, pretty much nothing is as popular with the hummers. Also, we have never noticed any skin rash or reaction, having handled the plant many, many times.

On Jun 19, 2004, killtrumpetvine from Columbia, MO wrote:

I have a large gorgeous perennial garden that is about 11 years old. At about year #3 I put up a trellis at the entrance to the garden and decided that a gorgeous yellow trumpet vine would look pretty on the trellis. How utterly stupid and naiive I was!!! I soon discovered that when a person looks up the word 'invasive' in the dictionary, it should be defined with two words, "trumpet vine". The vine runs secretly and insidiously underground and attempts to choke out every other flower and plant in the garden. To add insult to injury, the vine has never bloomed, and is heavy and destructive to the trellis. If I was the litigious type, I'd even consider suing the garden center that allowed me to purchase it with nary a word of warning. Stay away from this plant!!!

On Jun 8, 2004, jinglecat from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

The plant came with the house and I wondered what it was at first. With it's bold colors I thought it looked poisonous. I have never had a problem with it being invasive and have never gotten a rash or skin irritation from it. It is on a free standing trellis and at the top hangs over like an umbrella. This year it doesn't seem to be growing. It is an older plant with a thick trunk and so far this year I have seen no green shoots or leaves. I hear how hard it is to kill, but something seems to have affected this one. The winter wasn't particularly harsh and I used no chemicals on the lawn or garden. I have 2 new young plants that seem to be growing.
I'm unhappy that the old plant is dead, it is part of the character of the house. I wish it would take over my hillside, instead... read more

On Jun 2, 2004, purplepetunia from Savannah, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

VERY INVASIVE. I bought this plant in a one gallon container about three or four years ago. It was blooming when I bought and has never bloomed again. I planted it near a dogwood tree. It has grown to the top of the tree. There are vines all over that side of my yard. Yes, they do grow very rapidly. I am pulling up most of them, but feel it will spring up somewhere else. I was disappointed the first couple of years that it didn't bloom. Now I am more disappointed that is hasn't bloomed and I can't get rid of it. I thought of giving a piece to my neighbor, then decided they might not be my friend after a couple of years of this invading their yard. It is almost as bad as the virginia creeper that grows wild and nothing kills it.

On Jun 2, 2004, DAWNMEIER from Winchester, VA wrote:

My first apartment had a trumpet vine in the back yard and I vowed to have one in my own yard someday. I planted one about 4-5 years ago in my yard along the fence line and it has taken off quite well in spite of my two dogs playing tug-o-war with it. But I haven't gotten any blooms on it yet. I'm not sure if there is a dormant stage after planting or the blame lies with the pups. This year it's surrounded by fence and away from the dogs. Will it bloom? We'll have to wait and see.

On Apr 19, 2004, sadie_mae from Central, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Horrible, invasive plant. It came with our farm and I have been chopping and pulling for 7 years. Have never broken out from handling, but really hate this plant!!

On Apr 18, 2004, DaraMV wrote:

Don't bother with this vine. It is invasive and hard to get rid of. Every spring I have to pull out shoots that come up. You have to remove any roots in the ground or else they'll keep coming back, but preventing that is almost impossible!

On Nov 10, 2003, WITrumpet wrote:

I have a trumpet vine that has been growing along my porch for the last 22 years. Even with harsh central Wisconsin winters, it comes back strong every year with out any winter protection except for a sunny spot. It has sent out many shoots that many people have been more than willing to take and try to grow themselves, but they have not taken over my yard. The shoots are very hard to start, but those that have succeeded have been more than thrilled with their results. No one in my family, or anyone I know has ever broken out in a rash from this plant. My plant has just started producing seed pods and I'm excited to try this method of propigation of this great plant. I have not had a big problem with the plant taking over with proper trimming. I hope that more people will have a goo... read more

On Nov 8, 2003, TerriFlorida from Plant City, FL wrote:

Luckily for me, I saw this vine in glorious flower, covering a house and obviously doing damage to it in Riverview. It was scary to look at. Think of kudzu and walk away...

On Sep 20, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I am presently covered with a rash from this plant from head to toe--it is quite unpleasant, and I was wearing long sleeves, long pants, socks and gloves when I acquired this rash--the allergens penetrated through my clothes to my skin. I doubt that there is a square yard on my entire six acres here in NorthCentral Florida, zone 8b, where this very invasive native plant does not grow, so I have to pull it out, roots and all, in order to grow anything else. It makes long roots as thick as my fingers, that intertwine in the top six inches of my sandy soil, and my hands ache from pulling it out of future flower and vegetable beds. It sends out long underground runners, as well as long vines, up to 40 feet tall, or taller.

I have just spent three hours on the internet researc... read more

On Sep 18, 2003, margaretx from Houston, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

Same here in Houston. Lousy thing comes up all over in the beds, in other peoples yards, in the patio and we've tried to burn, poison it, NEVER pull it, that just makes more! I've given up and just try to keep it out of where I don't want it. Doesn't pull the hummingbirds the way other plants do.

On Sep 17, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

My mother has been trying to kill the trumpet vines in her yard for 50 years using as many methods as one can think of with no luck! She is 91 years old and stated that when she reaches the eternal gates to meet her maker, the trumpet vines' trumpets will sound in unison and the vines will shout, "Your battles were hard fought, but WE have finally won the war!"

On Sep 17, 2003, ChiTown from Chicago, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have a Tumpet Vine on an 8-foot fence between a paved parking lot and a sidewalk, which contain its invasiveness nicely. It has "extra-floral nectaries" like peonies and peach trees, which draw (among many other things) a large black and yellow wasp that's almost as spectacular as the blossoms. The wasps are imposing but haven't harmed anyone. Haven't seen any ants, though. And there's a delicious drop of nectar if you break off a blossom carefully and suck on the base, like honeysuckle. This year for the first time I have seed pods.

On Aug 6, 2003, grca211 wrote:

I placed this vine against the house on a strong trellis in the back of the garden in full sun. It has been a beautiful addition and since it is in the back of the garden, the dead flowers are not noticeable at all. I haven't noticed an unusual amount of bugs on it either. It is natural to have some ants because of the sweet nectar in the flowers. This is a wonderful vine for anyone wanting to fill a large space!

On Jul 27, 2003, cmoon from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

Mine does not have thorns, nor is it itchy, but it will take over the world. Shoots come up from the roots and the seeds will blow over the universe. it also attracts ants and will pull down a tree.

Mine came with the house and the original is about 18 inches in diameter at the base. It also puts out fingers to dig into wood or brick, but it's beautiful and bees and hummers love it. Roundup and brush killers don't hurt it.

On Jul 10, 2003, cloncs from Colfax, NC wrote:

I was helping my girlfriend remove these thorny vine plants from around our grape vine. The next day I had major rash and blisters on my skin and it itches like crazy. Stay away from it if you are allergic to "poisonous" plants. It'll be weeks before this clears up.

On Apr 19, 2003, MartyJo from Fayette, IA (Zone 4b) wrote:

I had great sentimental attachment to this plant, recalling it from my grandmother's garden. Alas, its invasiveness keeps me from recommending it to anyone. If it is completely surrounded by areas that can be mown, it's beautiful and attracts hummingbirds - but it's a thug! Will come up everywhere, in beds as far as 20 feet away. Plant at your own risk.

On Apr 7, 2003, horsepower wrote:

For the fire ant problem, I use Andro to get rid of fire ants. The ants take it into their mound to kill the queen. Do NOT put andro on the ant pile, they will take it far, far away from their home. Place the Andro near their mound, so they can find it and think it's yummy food, not an attack on their nest. Don't use before rain, but after.

On Mar 3, 2003, lifesavers2001 wrote:

I have a Trumpet Vine in my garden also. I found it very invasive. I had to completely dig it up and remove all the roots to stop it.

So when I decided to move it to another place, I planted it in a 5 gallon black plastic pot. First I cut the bottom of the pot out, dug a hole for the pot to set in about half way up the side, filled with my garden dirt, planted the vine.

It is now contained and I do not have the invasive shoots in any other part of my flower bed. It has been there three seasons now and so far I have not had any extra shoots coming out of the ground as it did in the other spot. I find that any plant that is know to be invasive can be planted in this manner to contain it.

On Mar 3, 2003, nada1000 wrote:

I hate this vine with a passion. It crawled up the house, around the house, in the house. I had it comming up in my bathroom out of every little crack in the floor. I tried killing it and it would not die. I tried cutting back to the root, and it came back. I tried poisons, salt, and never watered it exept for rain. I didn't plant it, I bought it with the house. It introduced ants to my roof. If I ever see this plant in a garden in, I promise I will run as fast as I can.

On Sep 1, 2002, JoanneC wrote:

I have a beautiful orange Trumpet Vine that needs very little care. Other than bright sun, she needs very little and is also drought tolerant. But I do have one problem...she attracts ANTS!

Also, I do not trim vigorously, only the dead shoots in the spring. I also cut off (dead head) the seed pods. (Only if a friend wants one, will I plant a few seeds to get a new plant.)

A little messy but the vibrant flowers and the Hummingbirds are well worth it!!

On Aug 31, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I can't recommend this vine - its flowers are messy (we planted it over a pergola, and it was a constant battle to keep it trimmed back and the floor swept free of "droppings" - and did I mention it is invasive? I just can't think of a place where it would look good and not destroy everything surrounding it. The one positive - birds and bees do like the flowers.

On Aug 19, 2002, taufiq wrote:

I love the vine as it covers a trellis and gives good isolation from my neighbour. I am concerned tho at the amount of shoots popping out all over the place, even 30 feet from the plant!
Ive heard that if you cut off the pods or 'deadhead' the plant (whatever that means) it will control it somewhat.
Hardy plant and likes full sunlight, very tolerable to different soil types.

On Jun 4, 2002, lanie1209 from Dacula, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I couldn't decide if it was a neutral or a negative for me. I got a small piece from an 80 year old woman up in the mountains, about 10 years ago. Planted it by a pine tree and NOW it's to the top of the 60-70 foot pine. It's beautiful and the red blooms are all over the pine. The only down side is I find the vine popping up ALL over the place. 20-30 feet away from the tree... and I think they can grow a foot a day! They definately are vigorous little boogers!

On May 22, 2002, alexrk1 wrote:

I have (2) Trumpet Vines they are very rapid growers but with trimming it is a wonderful vine this year I am going to try mixing it with some climbing Roses on a trellis.

On Apr 20, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant will grow as high as its support allows: 80-100 feet is common here.

The seedpods, if left on, attract birds all winter.

It also attracts Japanese beetles by the bajillions.

On Aug 3, 2001, Floridian from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

The plant can cause rash on some people