Bok Choy, Pak Choi, Celery Mustard, Chinese Chard, Chinese Cabbage 'Joi Choi'

Brassica rapa var. chinensis

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Brassica (BRAS-ee-ka) (Info)
Species: rapa var. chinensis
Cultivar: Joi Choi

Not Applicable

Pale Yellow

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Redwood City, California

Old Town, Florida

Windermere, Florida

Augusta, Georgia

Bingham Lake, Minnesota

Talihina, Oklahoma

Sumter, South Carolina

On May 8, 2012, alba2370 from Alba, TX wrote:

Just purchased large bundle of Bok Choy at Walmart (want to switch fm western to Eastern type foods) without realizing HOW to prepare it for eating-some referred to the leaves only, nothing about the white celery like stalks or preparation.....need a little help there folks!

On Mar 13, 2012, Sherilou from Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This grows quickly and it's tasty. I prefer Mei Quing Choi, though. The night time bugs loved to eat it.

On Oct 27, 2010, blblue from Bingham Lake, MN wrote:

A good choy that grows spring and fall in the garden or in containers. I also grow it over winter in the kitchen under t-8 4 foot shop lights where its' growth habit stays flat. I harvest it by cutting the outer leaves during the winter and then transplant it into the garden and continue harvesting the outer leaves until it bolts in hot weather. Then I harvest the whole plant. Used in salads when young and tender, stir fries , vegetable medleys and steamed single dish with butter when mature.

On Feb 13, 2008, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a hybrid version of Lei-Choi. The average height of the plant is about 18 inches. Plants grow vigorously and uniformly, good for commercial crops. Very productive. Best for growing in fall/winter seasons.

On Apr 12, 2004, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I picked my first small Bok Choy yesterday, and after stir frying with with onions, bellpepper, Thai basil from the garden, and some chrystallized ginger, I made a delicious soup with ramen noodles and a small can of clams, with their juice, and some packets of duck sauce and soy sauce brought home from a Chinese restaurant a few days ago.

I've cooked Bok Choy from the grocery store for years for soups and stir fry, but it simply tastes better when cooked fresh from the garden. This smaller one is a quick grower--the plants were quite small when I bought them in a 9 pack from a garden center, and I got over a dozen plants that quickly grew in part sun, with almost daily watering, and a few rounds of 10-10-10. I plan on going fully organic when I get chickens, but that's ... read more

On Apr 11, 2004, Michaelp from Glendale, UT (Zone 5a) wrote:

A smaller more compact Bok Choi -very good, more tender ,and easy to grow -tolerates heat and cold-better then most varieties.