Arabian Star Flower

Ornithogalum arabicum

Family: Hyacinthaceae
Genus: Ornithogalum (or-ni-THOG-al-um) (Info)
Species: arabicum (a-RAB-ih-kum) (Info)

Flowers are good for cutting

Marina, California

Ellenwood, Georgia

Moscow, Tennessee

Vancouver, Washington

On Mar 2, 2011, steve22802 from Harrisonburg, VA wrote:

I grow Ornithogalum arabicum in pots as it is not hardy in my zone (7a.) It's been pretty easy to grow and works very well as a cut flower. It does seem to have rather floppy foliage for me but that may be due to less than ideal light because it starts it's growth cycle indoors for me and then I move it out onto my deck as the weather warms.

Regarding the comment by Ponditis: I believe that Ponditis has misidentified the species of Ornithogalum growing in his/her yard. O. arabicum cannot be invasive in zone 6 because it is not frost hardy. Ponditis most likely has either O. umbellatum or O. nutans which are both cold hardy and obnoxiously weedy.

On May 2, 2010, KelleyBee from Greensburg, PA wrote:

I was given this as a tender bulb for the 2008 planting season. I live in PA and our winters are too harsh to leave in the ground, so each fall, I lift the bulbs for over winter in the basement and replant int he spring. There hasn't been any problems with encroachment with this bulb. As a matter of fact, this will be my third growing season with it (2010) and I still only have the original three bulbs. I was hoping it would produce more so I could share them, but thus far, they've not reproduced, but have only sustained themselves. I will post a photo of mine, as well. I find it a positive and interesting addition to my front garden. (On second thought, I think mine might be the African variety, the O. saundersiae, because mine grows quite tall, well over 3 ft.).

On Feb 15, 2010, Ponditis from Lincoln City, OR (Zone 9a) wrote: