Cheeses, Common Mallow, Dwarf Mallow, Round-leaved Mallow, Running Mallow, Round Dock, Umbrella Mall

Malva neglecta

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Malva (MAL-vuh) (Info)
Species: neglecta (nay-GLEK-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Malva rotundifolia

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Not Applicable

Pale Pink

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Wedowee, Alabama

Millersburg, Pennsylvania

Syracuse, Utah

Kennewick, Washington

Kirkland, Washington

Spokane, Washington (3 reports)

On Jul 11, 2014, schmeeges from Sintaluta

This weed is a nightmare!! Who would ever want to buy this? I would gladly let anyone come and take it all if that were possible! I have picked huge amounts of this weed every year for 4 years now. Garbage bags full! Roundup doesn't kill it or any other spray that I've tried. And I am not about to start eating it. We never had this weed until we had a spring flood in 2011 and the excessive water must have brought dormant seeds to life. I have read everything I can find about this weed and have had no success in how to get rid of it. Apparently the seeds can lay dormant for 125 years until the right conditions are met. Amazing! Wonder what conditions are needed to kill it? PLEASE HELP anyone?

On Dec 19, 2012, RosinaBloom from Waihi
New Zealand (Zone 1) wrote:

According to Wikipedia - even though Malva neglecta is considered to be a weed, the leaves have medicinal qualities and are used in making a tea. The seeds contain 21 percent protein and 15 percent fat - and the flower is pretty.

On Sep 20, 2009, shelly87 from Spokane, WA (Zone 5b) wrote:

A horrible plant! It takes over entire flowerbeds in one season. Long tap root...ever propigating. If I could figure out a way to kill it without killing the rest of the plants, I certainly would. I guess the fact that it's edible means that I will never starve, because it will always be there...terrorizing my flowerbeds and lawn.

On Mar 10, 2008, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have not grown this plant which occurs as an annual and rarely as a biennial. Common mallow, round-leaved mallow, cheeses (Malva neglecta; synonyms: Malva rotundifolia, Malva vulgaris) is native to North Africa, central and southern Europe and south west Asia. It has become naturalized in most of the United States (excluding Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands) and Canada.

Common mallow has a straight-taproot which is short. The hairy stems branch at the base and lay close to the soil surface, nearly erect or spreading with tips turned up. The 2 to 6 cm wide, alternate, circular to kidney-shaped leaves are blunt- to sharp-toothed and inconspicuously 5-9 lobed. The petioles are long. Short hairs are on both the upper and lower leaf surfa... read more

On Feb 17, 2008, Yorkerjenny from Syracuse, NY wrote:

It's one of the almost forgotten vegetables. malva has many varieties, some of them have edible leaves like malva neglecta. I ate once, I still can't forget its taste. My grandma picked them up from a friend's backyard. It seems like it's almost impossible to find its seeds. I think because it's concidered as weed. Whole year, I searched the internet for edible common mallow (malva neglecta), I couldn't find any website to buy its seeds. There are some in flower section, but I'm not sure if they are edible. If anybody has its seeds, I'd like to buy. thank you.
Meanwhile I give a recipe for it :
1 pound edible common mallow leaves
1/4 pound ground beef
3 tablespoon sunflower oil or canola oil
2 paste tomato or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 med onion... read more

On Jul 22, 2007, willmetge from Spokane, WA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Oh how I hate this plant! It makes up 90% of my weeding and it seems that every year, no matter how diligent the weeding, it multiplies, and multiplies. I can have a bed completely weeded and three days later there are hundreds of new seedlings. My goal this year is to not let a single plant go to seed. They are very sneaky little devils and can grow and flower in both full sun and dense shade. I lift up the branches of shubs and there are dozens tucked away doing there thing completely unnoticed. I also have a suspicion that birds drop new seed around each year. This plants enjoys bone-dry alkaline soils, perfect sandy loam, expensive potting soils, and soggy organic soup. It grows anywhere!

On a positive note, when I was a boy scout, I learned that this is an ideal surviva... read more