PlantFiles: Modern Shrub Rose, Groundcover Rose
Rosa 'Alba Meidiland'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Alba Meidiland
Additional cultivar information: (PP6891, aka Alba Meillandcor, Alba Sunblaze, Blanc Meidiland, White Meidiland, MEIflopan, MEIcoublanc)
Hybridized by Meilland; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1986

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by killdawabbit

By growin
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by growin

Positive GmaLeslie On Apr 12, 2014, GmaLeslie from Kennewick, WA wrote:

I planted three of these on a terraced hillside in intense full sun. By the second or third season they were sending out 8 ft. + canes. Beautiful and vigorous, but a bit deadly if you happen to brush up against one of those long canes. These were pruned back regularly and kept on flowering like champs. They were in the garden eight years before I sold the property and not once did they have a problem with any pests or diseases.

Positive CosmosandCleome On May 23, 2013, CosmosandCleome from Bethany, PA wrote:

This rose grows prolifically in my NE Pennsylvania garden. I trim it back once or twice each season, just to keep it under control. Some canes are at least eight feet long. I do sometimes have problems with black spot, and I like its looks best when I cut off the spent blossoms. In late fall or early spring, I cut it close to the ground, and it bounds back beautifully.

It was well established in this garden when we moved here ten years ago, so it has aged well.

Neutral Joan On May 20, 2010, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 6891 has expired
Positive kerrystack On Jan 17, 2010, kerrystack from Lakewood, OH wrote:

Beautiful, easy. First rose I ever bought. I've killed many others, but this one still likes me. I have it in full sun, against a fence. No protection first winter in zone 5 but still handled itself nicely. I've been kinder to it since then :)

Positive woodensandals On Jun 8, 2008, woodensandals from Merrick, NY wrote:

This shrub grows quickly, 4 feet across in one year... So easy to grow. I barely pay attention to it except to prune back the insane amount of branches it sends out.

No disease problems even though I have another rose quite near it with some blackspot.

Positive willowwind On May 29, 2008, willowwind from Moundridge, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

One of the toughest, most prolificly flowering roses I have. Mine grows in a hot, windy spot which doesn't seem to faze it a bit. I agree with the velcro-on-velcro description, and the old blooms do look unsightly if not sheared, but then it is back with more blooms before you know it. Mine was even buried under morningglories for part of the summer last year and looks as good as ever this year.

Positive DreamOfSpring On Jan 14, 2005, DreamOfSpring from Charleston, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

Grows rapidly. Is carefree. Loaded with blooms throughout the entire growing season. None of my 100+ roses compares with this one for vigor. Mine have sent out branches as much as 10' long (covered in blooms) in a single season. While it is classified as a groundcover, it is equally happy when trained as a climber. I have one that has "climbed" some 8+ ft up into a tree with blooms "raining" down on gracefully arching branches.

I have several of these and they are show stoppers in my garden of nearly 1000 plants. This is one of the plants that passersby ask about, and of which friends request a cutting, which works out well because it seems to take root at every point of contact with the ground.

There are, of course, a few "negatives". As it is a rather vicious bramble of thorns with a prolific growth pattern, it shoud be kept well clear of traffic patterns (which I learned the hard way). Brushing up against this one is like velcro on velcro. While the torrent of white blooms is lovely, the aged and dying blooms are not; periodic shearing is required to remove spent blooms and encourage the next show.

Neutral Paulwhwest On Oct 28, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in France. Won the Frankfurt Gold Medal in 1989, and the Bagatelle 2nd Prize in 1989.

Parentage: