PlantFiles: Climbing Rose
Rosa 'Autumn Sunset'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Autumn Sunset
Hybridized by Lowe; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1986

Class:
Modern Climber
Shrub

Apricot and apricot blend (ab)

Bloom Shape:

Resistant to rust
Stems are very thorny
Sets hips

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by kniphofia

By Calif_Sue
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by Calif_Sue

Neutral zenmom On Jul 1, 2011, zenmom from Salem, MA wrote:

Those of you that are growing 'Autumn Sunset', do you grow it on it's own roots or is it grafted onto something else?

Positive green76thumb On Jun 4, 2011, green76thumb from Radford, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I just love this rose!! Gorgeous, big blooms . . . great for cutting . . . wonderful, strong, fruity fragrance that wafts through the whole garden (or room) . . . blooms repeatedly . . . blackspot resistant. This is my favorite, of the ten carefully chosen rose varieties I have!

Positive admadab On May 29, 2010, admadab from Poulsbo, WA wrote:

I adore this rose. We have two filling a trellis framing our front porch. It's never had a touch of black spot and the fragrance is amazing. It's huge though, and I'm not sure how to prune it!

Positive Marisa_K On Jan 9, 2010, Marisa_K from Lincoln, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This rose is sturdy enough that you don't have to grow it as a climber if you don't want to. Mine is growing as a shrub (I have only so many places for climbing roses). I love all the shades of pale yellow, gold, apricot, salmon, and copper it displays at once--the deeper colors on the buds and new flowers, softening as they age. The blooms are loose and plentiful.

Positive southhillkaren On Feb 8, 2009, southhillkaren from Puyallup, WA wrote:

I am so very happy with this rose. I am growing it as a climber on a trellis, from ground up to a second story deck, and continuing up the sides of the deck railing. Very vigorous grower and bloomer. It responds extremely well to pruning, which I do in March and then after the first big bloom, plus tidying at end of summer. I deadhead regularly. It seems immune to disease, even last spring and summer, which started out so cold and wet my other roses just dropped their spotty leaves in disgust (I don't use sprays). And the blooms are gorgeous and smell heavenly. It is the first rose I planted and is turning out to be the standard to judge others by in my garden.

Positive jengpalmer On Jun 17, 2008, jengpalmer from South Yarmouth, MA wrote:

I couldn't be happier with this plant. I have four of them in their second year. The color is beautiful and the fragrance is divine.

Positive grannyrose On Jul 8, 2006, grannyrose from Walhalla, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Very vigorious growing medium fragrance beautiful color nice orange fading slowly to apricot yellow pretty in all stages. Its only in second season six and one-half feet growing as a climber. Bloomed profusley until heat of summer. Still blooming just not as much now that temps or in mid-ninetys.

Positive JenniferE On Jun 14, 2006, JenniferE from Lebanon, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

A very pretty rose. My second-year plant is doing great, and I planted another one this year. This rose starts out with orange buds that open up to light golden-orange flowers. I never used to even consider using orange in the garden, but I now love this color! (At least in limited amounts.) It looks wonderful in combination with yellow and blue.

Neutral Paulwhwest On Jun 1, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in United States. Won the Modern Shrub Rose award from the Denver Rose Society in 2001.

Sport of 'Westerland'