PlantFiles: Shrub Rose
Rosa 'Carefree Delight'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Carefree Delight
Additional cultivar information: (PP8841, aka MEIpotal, Bingo, Bingo Meillandecor, Bingo Meidiland, Potalia)
Hybridized by Meilland; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1994

Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust
Stems are very thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #5 of Rosa  by Kell

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by Kell

Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by Kell

Positive tgwWhale On Dec 10, 2010, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

I have had a Carefree Delight for about 10 years. In NE Wisconsin where I live, it needs to be buried in mulch to survive the winter properly. For me it grows next to the house where the soil is truly bad (sand and gravel, primarily) and where there is shade instead of sun for over half of the day. Still, it blooms well, It has also proven to be quite disease resistant for me.

I find it grows better if I prune it well in the spring. It likes to grow too many tiny branches otherwise.

Positive hannett_garner On Jun 21, 2009, hannett_garner from Silver Spring, MD wrote:

Love this rose! Very vigorous in 7B. I have two that have grown a little taller than 5 feet. They are great shrubs: bug & (mostly) disease-free, loaded with blooms all summer & hips in the fall & winter. For some reason, the deer haven't messed with them much, either... as they have all my other plants. (As for diseases, I think every rose in the hot, humid DC region gets a touch of black spot, although this plant handles it very well.)

Positive JenniG On Aug 27, 2006, JenniG from Gabriola

I live in the Gulf Islands in the Pacific Northwest and, unusually, my soil is extremely alkaline (it is part of an old shell midden). Also my summers are often very droughty so we water sparingly. I do not mulch with organic matter, though the soil above the roots is covered with gravel. My Carefree Delight has been in my garden for several years now and is completely reliable and healthy, blooming from June through October. I would like to know if there are equivalently trouble-free roses in other colours.

Neutral IESKOTI On Jan 10, 2006, IESKOTI from Chicago, IL wrote:

This rose has been in my midwest garden for more than ten years and has proved a reliable bloomer and very healthy. However, a few years ago, it reverted to a dark red, single color, with fragrant blooms. This reversion may be due to the fact that there was a shoot below the base of the plant which I should have removed sooner than I did. It's still pretty, but definitely a completely different color. I do miss the pink and white blossoms of Carefree Delight, but this "new" rose will remain in my garden.

Positive northgrass On Mar 3, 2005, northgrass from West Chazy, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

This rose has proven hardy for me in zone 4b-5a. It makes a low spreading shrub, blooming all summer. Dark pink buds contrast nicely with the various shades of pink of the blossoms. The glossy foliage is not bothered by insects and disease. I always make sure that the roses I buy are on their own roots and not grafted, increasing their chance of surviving a severe winter. I do not cover my roses although I much heavily.

Neutral Paulwhwest On Jun 4, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in France. Won the following awards: