PlantFiles: Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Chrysler Imperial'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Chrysler Imperial
Additional cultivar information: (PP01528)
Hybridized by Lammerts; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1952

Resistant to mildew
Avoid chemical sprays
Stems are very thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by taraloves

By taraloves
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by taraloves

Positive malli On May 7, 2014, malli from Santa Clara, CA wrote:

This rose has been growing in my backyard in Santa Clara, CA for many years (>10 years) and is almost 8 feet tall. Its fragrance is what a traditional rose smell should be. One cut flower in a vase is enough to fill a room. Note that this flower will not last long in a vase, it is not meant to. It is prone to black spot. I remove all the diseased leaves when this happens. Enjoy the fragrance and the colour. It will bloom profusely from spring through fall.

Positive midgey On May 27, 2013, midgey from Denver, CO wrote:

as in it's name sake, no comparison. it is massive, produces less blooms than most roses, however the blooms you get are just magnificent in fragrance, size, and shape. my c.i. is 26 years old transplanted and very vigorous. survived many seriously cold snaps over the years.

Positive Beju On Oct 4, 2012, Beju from Palatine, IL wrote:

I have always loved roses,but thought they were to hard to grow or work with. But i decided i should try them. So i looked all over but was not able to find anything with the nice full flower shape i wanted. After about three weeks i saw the Chrysler Imperial. My first thought was perfection. And with it i bought another smaller old style rose. So far they have thrived. I dont even feed them. Let alone water them. And im in zone five. They are supposed to be in zones 6 and above. I dont know what it is but they love my yard. The only issues were jappanese beetles. But every saturday i have one flower that blooms. No joke its like a schedual for my rose bush to do this. I love them and would recomend them to all.

Positive birder17 On Nov 21, 2010, birder17 from Jackson, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

I wanted a red rose and chose between Mister Lincoln and Chrysler Imperial. This rose has large very fragrant 4" blooms and does quite well inside in a vase. It gets some black spot but not too bad. I spray a couple of times a season.
It blooms fairly consistently but is rather stingy with her blooms. This is the second season I have had this rose and hope it will be more giving with blooms in the future. It's about 3' tall and about 2 1/2 feet wide.
The new foliage is deep red and is quite striking.
I would certainly recommend this rose.

Positive nausetbeach On Jun 22, 2010, nausetbeach from East Orleans, MA wrote:

I was quite skeptical about this hybrid tea rose
that was sold at five dollar a piece in the local
discount shop. But wow, I cannot believe how
beautiful and fragrant and disease free it has been
the past two years. Can't be happier with it

Negative monniemon On Jun 10, 2009, monniemon from Lansdale, PA wrote:

C. imperial is in its second season here in zone 6. It came through the winter with just mulch protection. It needed no more than a light prunning. No b.s. or mildew, tall, bushy, thorny. This red rose has the best fragrance that i have ever had the pleasure to smell. My neighbor smelled mine and bought herself one.

Winter hardy to zone 6 and a very vigorous grower and reblooming well into late fall. A must have for the garden.

monniemon
UPDATE: I have decided to shovel C.Imperial, the reasoning for doing this is because the petals blow so quickly on the bush, and it is not suitable for a cut flower. It last no longer than a day or two at most before all petals fall off the flower. So both C.Imperials (red and pink) have been replaced with Black Magic.

Neutral Joan On Apr 3, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 1528 has expired
Positive RocketCity On Jul 4, 2006, RocketCity from Owens Cross Roads, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

Chrysler Imperial was my first hybrid tea choice 15 years ago. Living in a humid yet long growing season
,I never sprayed or pruned this beautiful rose. I always have at least a dozen or more perfect large fragrant blooms for Mother's Day!

Neutral CatskillKarma On Jun 22, 2005, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

Guess I ahould have checked here before I bought this one. I am in a zone 5a/4b mountainous areas where most tea roses are borderline. There was a bright pink tea rose just outside my husband's studio door that we lost several years back, partly do to inept pruning and mulching. I bought this on impulse at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden this year, but it was much warmer in the city than on our mountaintop. My husband planted it in May, before our last frost, and it died back. It has come back vigorously, but I am not sure whether from below the graft or not. We'll see!

Positive NWagner On Jun 19, 2005, NWagner from Milwaukee, WI wrote:

Can't say enough good things about this rose. My parents gave it to me as a Christmas present many years ago and I always tell them it was the best present ever. It takes little or no care and just has the most incredible blooms from June until nearly the end of November, even in Wisconsin. The color is such a deep crimson that at times it has a blueish cast - and the fragrance is beyond words. I had a little trouble with pale leaves this last year because of heavy clay soil, but a little chelated iron turned that around very quickly.

Neutral Paulwhwest On Jun 5, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in the United States. Won the following awards:

Parentage:
Seed: Charlotte Armstrong
Pollen: Mirandy

Positive paradoxi On May 26, 2004, paradoxi from Spokane, WA wrote:

This rose grows exceptionally well in the Northwest area of the US - specifically Washington St. It has endured several severely cold winters and has come back with a vengence. Last year during September, it was an award winning rose at our local fair. Beautiful scent, beautiful flower....a rose growers delight!

Positive Dravencat On May 15, 2004, Dravencat from Edgewater, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Beautiful large red flower with a heavy damask rose scent that can be smelled pretty far from the plant on a good breeze. Bush type tea rose.

Positive gpowell On May 11, 2004, gpowell from Siloam Springs, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

My all time favorite rose. It has the best scent and it just grows and blooms. Very disease resistant. I never prune it and never spray it. Here in Texas it gets very hot but I hardly ever water it. It has very large red blooms on long stems and makes a great cut flower. My wife loves them. It is about 6 feet, but not very bushy.

Huntsville, Alabama