PlantFiles: Hybrid Poplar
Populus 'Androscoggin'

Family: Salicaceae (sal-i-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Populus (POP-yoo-lus) (Info)
Cultivar: Androscoggin
Additional cultivar information: (aka NE-41)

Synonym:Populus androscoggin

Thumbnail #4 of Populus  by tropicsofohio

Thumbnail #5 of Populus  by tropicsofohio

Thumbnail #6 of Populus  by tropicsofohio

Thumbnail #7 of Populus  by tropicsofohio

Neutral tropicsofohio On Apr 13, 2007, tropicsofohio from Hilliard, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

fast growing,but seems to be short lived. we planted 3 trees 10 years ago but have had to cut down an originial tree, and a large sucker, another tree seems to be sick on the count that it has foul smelling sap oozing from the base of a branch. it is also heavy suckering. but if you want quick shade while other trees are growing in, this is your tree.

Positive mommydi On Apr 15, 2004, mommydi from Gooding, ID (Zone 5a) wrote:

When we bought our house, there weren't ANY trees in the back yard at all. We desperately needed shade to cool the yard for the little ones (we have four) and the second story of the house. I saw this cheesy advertisement in the paper ("want fast growing trees? call 1-800" etc. http://www.fasttrees.com). I figured that I could risk $40 for three trees that supposedly would grow to 40 feet in five or so years. I knew I couldn't afford $100 for a tree that was already big! They arrived in the fall as sticks... in one year they were already 10 feet high. Three years later they are as high as the house! I can't wait to see how much they grow this year! They tell me they will last 40 years but I'm planting some slower growing trees in the meantime. Just in case...! I've had many complements on the beautiful foilage during the summer...

Concow, California