Tomato 'Brandywine (Sudduth Strain)'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Brandywine (Sudduth Strain)
Additional cultivar information:(aka Quisenberry Strain)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Leesburg, Virginia

University Place, Washington

Merrimac, Wisconsin

On Nov 30, 2013, Handyman321 from Muscoy, CA wrote:

Grew to 7 feet tall. Produced copious amounts of large, tasty, nice flesh tomatoes. REALLY good for BLT sandwiches (or ANY sandwich). One slice fits a regular sized piece of bread. Avocado and tomato sandwich outstanding with this mater.

On Aug 11, 2013, CaliforniaGuy from Lakewood, CA wrote:

This tomato tastes so great, I'm going to go ahead and give it a positive rating, although the production is terrible. So far this year I have got about 3 tomatoes off of it (and one that rotted on the vine). That taste though! It seems like it might hate hot weather, will try again next year in a cooler part of the yard.

On Jan 27, 2013, lilrandy from Jeanerette, LA wrote:

Sudduth was the first heirloom I HAD to get when converting my garden to 100% OP plants. I couldn't wait to try it. This is a meaty, great tasting, very balanced tomato. Unfortunately, the production doesn't match up to the legendary flavor. This will be the third year of growing from my own saved seed. The production was twice as good last year than it was my first. If this trend in production doesn't continue this season, then I'll have to discontinue it from my limited, self sustaining garden space. If not for that, I would grow for flavor alone.

On Mar 7, 2012, foose4string from EARLEVILLE, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

Hard to go wrong being a Brandywine and all. Love the taste. Production leaves a lot to be desired, which is typical of Brandywine. I couldn't discern out any advantages growing this strain over the standard Brandywine. If anything, my Sudduth's were a little worse for production an disease resistance. It's a good tomato, but Brandy Boy is much better overall and has replaced Brandywines in my garden.

On Sep 20, 2011, SoCagardner from Escondido, CA wrote:

Grew Brandywine Sudduth this summer in Escondido, CA. These are excellent, large, pink tomatoes . They are juicy, meaty, and have strong wonderful tomato flavor. Production was also consistent for a couple of months. I have grown several other large pink heirloom tomatoes that were nice tomatoes, but they simply don't compare to these. No problems with disease or blossom end rot, and sun scald was minimal. Plants are medium sized and the foliage is not dense. Next year I will plant more of them.

On Jan 22, 2011, Californian from Fullerton, CA wrote:

I have never had much luck with any strain of Brandywine, including Suddeth and Cowlicks. They almost always rot before they have time to ripen. Maybe because I mostly let my tomato plants sprawl, or maybe the cool nights we usually have in southern California. They also get sun scald which ruins a lot of them, maybe they do better in other parts of the country with less sunshine. Or maybe they don't like my almost pure clay soil.

On Aug 16, 2010, gretel5555 from Pottstown, PA wrote:

Incredible! 5 stars! Best tomato I've ever tasted, hands down! Very large fruit with salty, sweet, meaty flesh. Best ever for tomato salad, or BLTs. The other night my dinner consisted of a 1 pound Brandywine dusted with Kosher salt. I'm in love! You won't be disappointed.

On Sep 18, 2009, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Although the fruits are large and tasty, mine come out rather irregular in shape. But this is the best Brandywine I have raised--I've given up on the red, yellow and OTV varieties which have not produced many tomatoes and don't taste as good to me as the Sudduth strain.

On Aug 20, 2009, Buttoneer from Carlisle, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This tomato is extremely large, mild and tasty. I would like to save the seeds from it but I do not know if it would breed true to the seeds? In other words, is it a species or Hybrid? Thanks.

On Apr 14, 2009, Wulfsden from Riverdale, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grow Brandywine in 14" plant pots, and trim them to be about 6" high and not much wider than the pot. I use recycled potting soil and Plant Tones Organic fertilizer sprinkling about a level teaspoon about once a week while plant is fruiting. They also get one treatment of liquid seaweed fertilizer when transplanted over whole plant, and one more when they set flower, but only over the roots. Each year I plant about 3 BW from seeds. I usually get 5-10 fruit per plant, but they are very large. It's probably too big a tomato to grow well in a pot, but it is hard to beat the taste.

On Sep 17, 2008, alecia723 from Ft Mitchell, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This year I decided to try growing some Brandywines by seed. Since the planting season was underway, and I had already planted nursery bought varieties, I decided to just put the seeds in peat pots out on the deck in a shady area and see what happened. Well, after about 4-5 weeks with absolutely nothing appearing, I gave up and just stuck the trays under my deck for storage. Then while looking for some plant supports a few weeks later what do I find?...A dozen little tiny sprouts starting to pop up! They were so small and sickly looking I thought for sure that I'd kill them while transplanting, but I wanted to try anyway.
Within one month these puny little sprouts had passed up the nursery plants, and I was forced to top them off at 6 ft. Each plant now has at least 9 hand-... read more

On Jul 1, 2008, Niere from Chepachet, RI (Zone 5b) wrote:

The perfect tomato. It is not the heaviest yielder but I grow other tomatoes for heavy yields. This is the tomato you grow for the "wow factor."

One thing I have not seen mentioned is that if you are old school and do not trellis your tomatoes with this tomato it is a must. Not trellising is simply not an option. It is vitally important that Brandywines do not touch the ground, otherwise you will get uneven ripening and probably rot. A farmer friend of mine tried growing these without trellising and he had nothing but rotted tomatoes. He now trellises them and has beautiful tomatoes. :)

On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Brandywine first appeared in the 1889 Johnson & Stokes catalog. The seed of this strain was obtained in 1980 by tomato collector Ben Quisenberry (of Big Tomato Gardens) from Doris Sudduth Hill, whose family grew them for about 80 years.

On Nov 18, 2006, carduus from Cuyahoga Falls, OH wrote:

This, quite simply, is the king of the tomatoes. Meaty, with relatively few problems, and a full-bodied taste to die for. When you see 'tomato' in the dictionary, this is what they're talking about. My only complaint is its relatively low yields. Plant two of these plants for every one you would of a lesser tomato.

On Sep 24, 2006, EAPierce from Idaho Falls, ID (Zone 5a) wrote:

I wasn't disappointed when it came to flavor. These are succulent, delicious, intense tomatoes, large and gorgeous.

I grew BW SS for the first time this year, but I only got two of them from the plant (both were prizes, though). Most of this was due to my own ineptitude (did a transplant when it was too far along not to go into massive, detrimental shock, overpruned), but it also developed fruit-devastating BER without any of my help. I really loved this, the classic Brandy, and will definitely grow it again, but next time more conscientiously.

On Sep 12, 2006, jenhillphoto from Danbury, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have a hard time cutting into these beautiful tomatoes. I could just look at them, except for the fact that they taste so good, it would be a waste! Grow this tomato. I know I will grow it again, probably next year. I'd like to see how it is on a year when we don't have so much rain. This was an exceptionally rainy spring and summer for us.

On Jul 27, 2006, blameitonkarma from Lancaster, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

What a producer this one is! The plants are loaded with HUGE fruit, and more babies growing. Here in the hot, dry California desert, they definitely need consistent watering as they are definitely prone to splitting otherwise. I lost the first 7 tomatoes off of one plant (each in excess of 1 1/2 pounds) to horrible splitting, but that's cuz that plant received more inconsistent watering. The other two plants are doing beautifully, with minor cracking.

Excellent tomatoey flavor. Not too sweet, a little acidic, with a great punch.

On Jun 8, 2006, kyle_and_erika from Batesville, AR wrote:

Last year was the first time I had grown this tomato and I was skeptical because I had heard that it was a poor yielder and my self worth is all tied up in how well my tomatoes yield.

But despite my insecurities it yielded pretty well here in the muddy,muggy south. I was still getting fruit from them in november.

The tomatoes taste great - I hate to jump on the band wagon, or any other wagon for that matter, but it is a great tasting tomato. For us they were salty, spicey with a dash of sugar. A unique taste for sure.

On Oct 28, 2005, jasmerr from Merrimac, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

This tomato has a great flavor, and it get quite large. I had to pull green tomatoes off the plants this year because they were too heavy - even with staking. This is the third year I have grown 'Brandywine Sudduth.'

On Sep 10, 2005, hurono from Troy, OH wrote:

Everything you've heard about this great tomato is true. A terrific flavor, great size, and most are blemish free. If you are going to grow pink or red tomatoes this really has to be a must.

On Apr 28, 2005, Jazzpunkin from Springfield, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is a "must have" tomato for my garden. Beautiful heavy fruits, lovely color and excellent flavor. It does sometimes need a bit of help with pollination, which is easily done by giving the plant a gentle shake whenever you are out cruising your vegetable bed.

On Oct 19, 2004, JefeQuicktech from Moorhead, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

One of my top 10 favorites to this point of my tomato growing career. Taste is wonderful. If you make a BLT, you better have a big, big, slice of bread. I've had fruits that when sliced filled the entire plate. Juicy and rich, with a perfect acid to sweet balance.

On Apr 16, 2004, darius from So.App.Mtns.
United States (Zone 5b) wrote:

From Tomato Grower's Supply: "This is widely known as the original Pink Brandywine strain. Many gardener's consider this strain the best Brandywine with fruit that is superior in taste and smoothness. It's tomatoes are indeed special, 1 to 2 pound pink beefsteaks with the delectably complex, rich, sweet flavor that has made Brandywine famous."

I love Brandywines and will continue to post notes about growing this strain through the season.