PlantFiles: Portland Rose
Rosa 'Comte de Chambord'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Comte de Chambord

Other Details:
Susceptible to black spot
Stems are very thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

By charlenenj
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by charlenenj

Positive saya On Jul 26, 2014, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a wonderful rose. I 'm a 'novice' in growing roses and I only grow a few in my garden. Not because I don 't love roses, but my garden is to small for all wishes to grow. R. 'Comte de Chambord' is happy in my garden. No diseases, not a single spot on its leaves. It repeats flowering very well and its flowers smell heavenly. That 's why I 've planted it close to my terrace. So I can enjoy it at most.

Positive baiissatva On Dec 23, 2011, baiissatva from Dunedin
New Zealand wrote:

9b coastal otago new zealand
Having added this rose to my collection this summer, I have a few remarks.
For me, it is exceptionally beautiful and really embodies the old rose look, with it's fat, crepe-like, violet pink blooms and blue-green, slightly mossed foliage. It's perfume is powerful and complex, perhaps in my top five 'smell' roses of all time, a true vintage scent with that powdery, indefinable 'rose' element that seems lacking from so many modern cultivars. In fact, for me it smells very much like 'sa majeste la rose', the Serge Lutens perfume. It's very floriferous right now in early summer.

All this said, there are some issues- it's slightly mossy stems are beloved by aphids, and about half the buds will ball and rot after rain. But you probably know this is an 'old rose' quirk and a trade-off against the superior grace and charm of these varieties, vs the modern types. Overall it is a very worthwhile addition, busy with both flowers and foliage, pretty as a whole, and gorgeously fragrant.

Just dont shove it in amongst a whole bunch of modern hybrid teas, as it will look rather ridiculous. Sits very well in a mixed border, the flower shape and texture being sympathetic with other species.

Positive charlenenj On Jul 4, 2008, charlenenj from Fanwood, NJ wrote:

This was my first rose purchase (I have a yellow rose bush from the prior homeowner) and I'm thrilled with the color and form of this pink beauty. I feel an antique rose addiction coming on. This one was so hearty - I put it in the ground late March and I got lots of blooms in May.

Positive Gindee77 On May 1, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I like this rose, it's got the most wonderful Damask fragrance. It's considered a Damask Perpetual or a Portland rose.

Neutral Paulwhwest On Jun 4, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in France. Won the Dowager Rose Queen eight times from 1998-2001.

Parentage: