PlantFiles: Large-flowered Climbing Rose
Rosa 'Dr. Huey'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Dr. Huey

Other Details:
Susceptible to black spot
Susceptible to mildew

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering

From hardwood cuttings

By WUVIE
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by WUVIE

Positive Handed On Jun 8, 2013, Handed from Armidale
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

I don't think this is a large flowered modern climbing rose, I think it's a small flowered smallish rambler. Grows against North facing wall of my home (Australia, sunny aspect) in soil hard as concrete, baked in sun, about 5 or 6' high then spreads out long canes two or more metres long. Seems it may have been a rootstock of a grafted rose that died before I moved here. Does well without feeding or watering, though flowers better with a feed. Only flowers once most years in a huge flush, but sometimes will throw out a flower or three in Autumn. No scent. Very healthy, no blackspot or mildew. Rarely sets hips.

Positive DianeMEM On May 5, 2012, DianeMEM from Glenshaw, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

A friend handed me this limp 8" twig with a long root wrapped in a damp paper towel saying she found this while digging up a flower bed and heard I was good with plants. Well - I potted it up not holding out much hope - it was so small and weak. That was the summer of 2010. It is now about 5' tall with several spreading branches and tons of buds. This will be its first bloom!

Positive museumgirl On Jun 9, 2010, museumgirl from Royal Oak, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

Glad I read this, explains a lot about my roses! There was a little rose growing under a fence 13 years ago when I moved into my house. I couldn't dig it out, and somewhere along the way it disappeared. Then suddenly about 6 years ago I noticed a rose there again - this year I took down the fence, and the rose spread about 6 feet in each direction, was covered with nearly 100 blooms by memorial day! Looking at other's comments, it is clearly Dr. Huey! What a beautiful rose, well worth growing. Unfortunately, I think I have three more that came up from neglected hybrid teas that died! Maybe I can trade them. But Dr. Huey is a beautiful, hardy, vigorous plant. I haven't had any trouble with black spot, only a few aphids. Another did just fine in about 2 hours of sun a day, grown as a pillar rose. I'm in the metro Detroit area.

Neutral MusaRojo On May 9, 2010, MusaRojo wrote:

Besides harsh winters killing less hardy roses grafted onto it, many people in my area are winding up with Dr. Huey because they or their gardeners don't know how to properly prune grafted roses. They're leaving graft stock suckers on the plant, or even choosing the Dr. Huey branches when pruning for shape because they're vigorous, not realizing they have a grafted plant. Within several blocks of my house are several houses that have bushes with Dr. Huey and a grafted rose that are on the same bush. In a few cases, Dr. Huey has almost finished the job of replacing the grafted rose. I wonder how many of the many Dr. Huey roses in my area are the result of poor care rather than harsh winters.

Positive kerrystack On May 7, 2010, kerrystack from Lakewood, OH wrote:

Bought a WWII Memorial rose that didn't make it throught the first winter. Must have been grafted onto Doc Huey, b/c suddenly I have a deep red climber. Only one rose first year, and didn't rebloom. Kept meaning to get around SP the thing, finally did, but the gov. granted it a stay of execution. Planted it in a forlorn section of my backyard. Now, only about 3 months into it's new home, it's COVERED with blooms. As previously stated by others, anything *that* determined to live (and look pretty) can have a place in my garden.

Positive dicentra63 On Jun 23, 2007, dicentra63 from West Valley City, UT (Zone 6b) wrote:

I'm not absolutely positive that the specimen I have is Dr. Huey, but I have a strong suspicion that it must be. It's the right color and shape and all.

And.

When I moved into my house seven years ago, there was a straggly, 1-foot rose-looking thing near the corner of my garage. I zapped it with RoundUp because I'm not a connoisseur of roses.

But then the blasted thing survived and got *bigger*. I figured that anything that can survive RoundUp that isn't an outright weed deserves to live, so I let it grow. Pretty soon, I had to hang a trellis for it, and now it's a good 8-9 feet tall.

I still don't take very good care of it because I don't like the color, but the thing doesn't seem to notice that it's not getting enough water or minerals and just marches on. Gotta give props where props are due, eh?

Positive WUVIE On Mar 11, 2007, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Dr. Huey came to live in my garden after I was
given permission to dig up plants from a home
which would be demolished.

I can't say enough about this rose, though I often
wondered why so many people grew it. Come to
find out, Dr. Huey is such a good rose bush, that
it was being used as a root stock for grafting other
less durable roses onto. Just as another gardener
mentioned above, when the grafted rose dies, Dr. Huey
remains.

Ah, this explains why there are so many. Not to mention,
you can dig it up, but it seems there is always a small
chunk left behind. Alas, though I thought I'd dug it all up
last spring, I returned to the scene today to find indeed
it has returned. This time it was dug up for Mom.

Such a strong, healthy rose bush!

Neutral Maria2354 On Jul 16, 2006, Maria2354 from Fernandina Beach, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have 2 suckers of an old garden rose, one growing on an arch in the sun and one in the shade. I am glad that I planted the roses instead of treating them like suckers. The rose on the arch has characteristics of a rambler but only blooms in spring. However, the blooms were beautiful (see pics). The rose is susceptible to black spot and I have to spray it weekly. The rose in the shade has been growing less vigorously and had only had 2-3 blooms in spring, but it also had fewer problems with black spot.

Positive JudithLynn On Jun 1, 2006, JudithLynn from Jackson, OH wrote:

It happened Dr. Huey grew from a lost rose and how beautiful ! I look forward to many years of enjoyment from this rose.

Neutral nevadagdn On May 11, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

This rose is frequently used as a rootstock, or at least used to be in our area. As a result, if the less-hardy hybrid tea grafted to it succumbs to a bad winter, Dr. Huey emerges. It's not a bad rose--but it is silent testament to a lot of poor rose variety choices in our area.

Atwater, California