PlantFiles: Large-flowered Climbing Rose
Rosa 'Dublin Bay'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Dublin Bay
Additional cultivar information: (aka Macdub)
Hybridized by McGredy; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1975

Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust
Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth
Avoid pruning

By DonnaMack
Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by DonnaMack

By growin
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by growin

Positive etherealsunshin On Jun 11, 2012, etherealsunshin from Wyanet, IL wrote:

I have this in a semi-shady spot and it tends to lean its blooms toward the north where it can soak up the afternoon sunset. It has beautiful, delicately petaled blooms in a dark true-red (no pink roses in my beds!!!). The flowers are very lightly scented and medium to large sized in its shady spot. This also gets northern exposure, so I wrap in straw and burlap for winter in zone 5a. I had to cut it to 12" two springs back after a brutal -20 (without windchill) winter, but I had zero dieback after our mild 2011-12 winter. It does seem like it would be semi cane-hardy in a normal zone 5 winter, but I baby it since it was a spindly little whip that survived a lot of abuse its first year (its sister didn't survive the cat's taste-test).
The canes are a bit leggy at times and take a while to thicken up, but I have not done any significant pruning except dead wood...I don't mind if canes cross or are spindly, as a rampant look is preferable to me. I'm surprised that the PlantFiles reports not to prune...not sure why, but that's what I'm doing :) Also, the thorns are not "moderate"--these suckers are pretty thorny and the thorns are smallish and very very sharp! I have been stuck a few times while training it to its trellis and it has shredded its own leaves with the thorns in strong winds if it has unsecured canes.
My Dublin Bay is a respectable, but not a profuse bloomer (the canes aren't drooping from the weight of the blooms like my Don Juan), but only gets about 6 hours of afternoon sun/maybe 8 in high summer. It will rebloom sporadically all summer. Even so, it seems shade tolerant and the flowers are so classically shaped and such a beautiful bright red (no pink!!) that it's a point of pride in my garden.
I selected this variety because it is very hardy and I'm darn picky about roses' shape and color. Spray for insects, as japanese beetles feasted on this and the adjacent flowering plum shrubs last fall.

Neutral Paulwhwest On Jun 4, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in New Zealand. Won the following awards: