Chinese Indigo

Indigofera decora

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Indigofera (in-dee-GO-fer-uh) (Info)
Species: decora (DEK-or-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Indigofera incarnata

New Caney, Texas

On Jun 5, 2015, JennysGarden_TN from Collierville, TN wrote:

Grows in my zone 7b garden

On Sep 6, 2009, ray94553 from Benicia, CA wrote:

We grew this plant just south of here in Martinez CA and here in Benicia. In both locations it has been hardy and non invasive 3 to 4 foot bush with flowers spring through fall.

On Mar 28, 2006, afr from Dallas, TX wrote:

Chinese indigo was planted in a new area in our landscape in June or July of last year, so it spent the season getting established. We did have some flowers, but I expect more this year now that the plants are fully rooted.

The plants froze to the ground in the winter, but now (late March) there are numerous new shoots emerging from the base of the plant and from the roots. I have cut away the dead tops of the plant.

On Aug 25, 2005, shirleyt from Pearl River, LA wrote:

I planted this new to me plant last year under the pines in a very shady area of the yard....I love it so far...It does put root runners and pop up a new plant but it is so pretty with its pink flowers. and it has bushed out nicely... so far I don't mind...Will I be sorry later on....who knows ....friends want the babies...MM

On May 19, 2004, DaisyJen from Pensacola, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grow this in Pensacola, Florida under the shade of a Dogwood Tree. I think the foliage and flowers are very nice, but it can be invasive. It grows in acid soil. I would recommend that you plant this where you have plenty of room for it to run underground.

On May 18, 2004, claire648 from Auburn, AL wrote:

I garden in Auburn, Alabama. We're on the edge of Zones 8-9, and I've planted Chinese indigo under an oak tree in fairly dry soil. It blooms faithfully, grows well, and looks good throughout the growing season. It does beautifully, but I imagine that if it got more water, it could get a bit out of control.

On Apr 17, 2004, MaryinLa from Marshfield, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Can be semi-invasive, but easily controlled, spreads by underground runners.