Calibrachoa, Million Bells 'Superbells Imperial Purple'

Genus: Calibrachoa (kal-ih-bruh-KOE-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Superbells Imperial Purple
Additional cultivar information:(PP16343, Superbells series, aka USCALI100)
Hybridized by Sakazaki

Snook, Texas

South Hill, Washington

Stanwood, Washington

On May 30, 2010, densiformis from Ventura, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Sometimes this plant gets 'weird'. I have grown them in hanging baskets with great success, right now I have one
that the foliage seems to be limp & weak and not respond to anything. Same thing for past 2 growing seasons. I just replace them, but it is annoying me when I know how
well they perform normally. Anyone have the same problem
? ??....Dave's Garden-----Densiformis.

On Apr 20, 2009, GreeneLady from Oak Island, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Amazing plant. Winters over here in zone 8a. We have ours here growing along side our pond waterfall. Seems to love the high humidity! Gets morning and mid afternoon sun. Shade by 3 pm. Blooms profusely from Late March to early September, and then has a couple sporadic blossoms on it the rest of the year, even through winter! Ours is in it's 3rd year. You can see my picture above.

On Mar 18, 2007, bethe from Tampa, FL wrote:

I planted these along my front walk in December....hoping to have tons of color during our mild Tampa winters (aka no frost/snow).

Instead i have tons of healthy leaves, growing and spreading but no blooms. I'm about to rename this plant "no bells"!

Of course, I've fertilized with Miracle-Gro Bloom Booster per mfg directions to no avail. When I lived in the SF Bay area, this plant was teriffic.

On Jul 8, 2005, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

I have a couple of these in a container on a south-facing patio. Early on I noticed that the leaves were getting scalded by either sun or wind, and part of one plant died. That, plus the fact that neither was blooming, made me wonder if I made a mistake. However, my patience was rewarded about a month after I planted them. I guess it took a while to get established, but once they did, they took off. The blooms started appearing and did not stop. I had profusion of flowers requiring little maintenance. Starts off as upright, but then becomes trailing as the plant bends under the weight of the flowers. My only complaint is that it stopped flowering in about mid-August.

On May 28, 2005, tiredone from Windsor,ON.

This is my 2nd year to purchase this plant. This year I bought it, at a discount, as it wasn't flowering, at the local Market, where I brought it, so it was only $5....needless to say, it still has'nt bloomed yet.

I planted it in a large barrel, + have it hanging over the sides...it will not bloom, although its leaves are healthy ... but nothing is happening.

On Apr 10, 2005, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I've used calibrachoa each year since they appeared at our local nurseries and the purple is my favorite. These wonderful annuals normally do great for me in my planters and in hanging baskets.

Last year I tried planting a few in a garden tier in select locations where they could cascade over the wall and found that they just don't act the same in a garden atmosphere. We had a very wet year last year and the plants roots were just too wet all the time, even though it was a well drained area - causing them to flower less and some just died out altogether within a month or so. Even some of the hanging baskets were affected due to so much rain. So I recommend keeping this little gem in the baskets or where you can control the water saturation.

Under normal ... read more

On Apr 9, 2005, twiggybuds from Moss Point, MS (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant is perrenial in zone 8b. It began blooming mid-March in last year's pots that I had given up for dead. It's great for containers and this year I will try it in the ground. The terracotta compliments almost any other color plant. This is destined to become one of the must have standards like marigolds and petunias.

On Apr 6, 2005, Honore from Bloomingdale, NY wrote:

I have had extremely good results with Calibrachoa for the
past 4-5 years. I have purchased an average of a dozen a
year. All in hanging baskets which I repotted. I also have given away possibly a half dozen each of those years. My best results have been when I set the pots on huge rocks that abound in this area. I do love the plants and will purchase at least that many this year. My growing zone borders 3-4 in New Yorks Adirondacks near Lake Placid.
I have purchase the plants in various places in this New YorkState and in Canada.

On May 29, 2004, ladyrowan from Garberville, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

A nice, cascading plant that does well in window boxes, hanging baskets, and containers. I have mine planted so that they cascade from small wall containers. Very pretty blooms about 1/2 the size of a petunia.