PlantFiles: Cutleaf Coneflower
Rudbeckia laciniata 'Herbstsonne'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rudbeckia (rud-BEK-ee-a) (Info)
Species: laciniata (la-sin-ee-AY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Herbstsonne
Additional cultivar information: (aka Autumn Sun)

Green

Thumbnail #6 of Rudbeckia laciniata by gonedutch

By saya
Thumbnail #7 of Rudbeckia laciniata by saya

Positive DrKirby On Mar 12, 2011, DrKirby from Walla Walla, OR wrote:

An eye-catcher. Clear yellow reflexed petals. Grows 6 ft high in xeric garden with reflected heat off windows and brick wall in 80-90 degree summers. With this abuse, gets dry leaves at bottom but flowers vigorously. For support, I stake it and grow it behind Caryopteris shrub 'Dark Knight' which blooms at the same time.
R. lancinata 'Herbstsonne' is more dependable for me than the equally pretty 'Goldquelle'.

Positive NancyMcD On Aug 31, 2010, NancyMcD from Grand Marais, MI wrote:

We grow this plant in a buried bathtub, which works great. The stems are robust and more than 6 feet tall, and have been rock-solid in our high winds on a ridge over Lake Superior. I suspect that getting sufficient moisture and nutrients is vital to stem strength. The flower color is strong yellow, but NOT that harsh, highway-line yellow of some coneflowers. The plant is very cold-hardy. The best feature: it's in bloom now, at the end of August, after the big summer bloomers but before the fall things have started. Wonderful!

Positive corgimom On Jun 30, 2010, corgimom from Pontotoc, MS (Zone 7b) wrote:

It is June and my plant ,about 5 ft. across and over 5 ft tall, is covered in blooms. Stunning ! My only problem is that it does tend to flop over in heavy rain/winds. What is a good,strong companion plant to put in front of it ??

Positive jojimurph On Mar 25, 2010, jojimurph from Cold Spring, NY wrote:

Love this plant. I give it a few haircuts during the growing season to keep it a bit shorter and fuller. I agree that it is better in a cottage or wild garden than a more formal setting.

Neutral 505badgolfer On Jun 15, 2009, 505badgolfer from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

A beautiful plant but a PRODIGIOUS water user in the high desert. My one year old plants need daily watering during hot weather.

Positive echinops On Jul 16, 2008, echinops from Logansport, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

My clump is beautiful, several years old......~7 feet tall.
I started it from direct-sewn seed.
Most remarkably, the soil it is growing in is a mix of sand, rubble and a wee bit of loam.......drains like crazy, quite dry, and yet this clump blooms full-tilt with minimal extra watering in arid Indiana July's.
Mine is paired with hollyhocks to make a great back-of-the border screen.

It's probably a bit too wild in habit for a well-manicured more formal garden. In a cottage-type garden, it fits right in.

Positive ktrose On Sep 20, 2006, ktrose from Delaware, OH wrote:

This plant attracts yellow finch birds. I have it planted in front of my kitchen windows and it is a joy to watch the birds swaying in the breeze while they dine on the seed heads. It does well with very little care, reaches 7 feet and blooms through August and September. I cut back some of the plants in front of the clump early in the spring and they bloomed a bit later than the untrimmed ones.

Positive muddbear On Aug 18, 2006, muddbear from (Zone 3b) wrote:

This is an awesome plant that grows up to 7 feet high, with a profusion of big yellow flowers! I just love this plant and am waiting until the nursery has their 40% off sale to buy more for around the mailbox.

Positive Illinois_Garden On Jan 4, 2006, Illinois_Garden from Fox River Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This has become my favorite of my perennial garden. It blooms beautifully, from July through September. It needs no care, it is heat and drought tolerant, I have it in nearly full sun. When other plants start to dry up for the year, this one is still green, leafy and blooming. I use it as a border plant for my garden, and I've been delighted to see Goldfinches sitting on it.

Negative fattmelon On Jul 28, 2005, fattmelon from Sophia, NC wrote:

I have experienced the same problems as gardenia1. First leaves, then entire stems turn black and die. Now most of the plant is dead and it is spreading to the other 6-8 plants.

Negative gardenia1 On Jul 30, 2004, gardenia1 from Exton, PA wrote:

I don't understand what happnend but my plant was doing well up until the month of July. Then it started dying, one stem and flower at a time. I would cut the dead one off and the next day or so there would be 2 or 3 more dead. The next thing I know they were all dead. I don't know if somebody has done something or if my soil is lacking nutrients. But all my other flowers seem to be doing fine. Can someone tell me what the may have been the problem and if my flowers will bloom again next year?

Positive gonedutch On Jul 29, 2004, gonedutch from Fairport, NY wrote:

During one of the wetest summers that I remember here this Rudbeckia 'Herbstsonne' (German for 'autumn sunshine') does well in my garden, near the Erie Canal in upstate New York. Only once did I find two snails who, fortunately for my garden, apparently had not yet met :) One blooming stalk did begin to flop due to the rainsoaked soil but I straightened it with a green-colored 9-foot bamboo stake. It is important to get to this task quickly before the flowerhead begins to bend toward the light.
This is one of the longest lasting, and tallest, perennials in my garden and, therefore, much enjoyed.

Positive saya On Mar 25, 2004, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant showed remarkable strong during our last hot summer (the hottest in past 100 years!) with weeks of temps far over 30C in a sunny spot. It stayed looking so fresh and kept flowering until the sharp frosts has hitten it. Nothing could harm this Rudbeckia: extreme rain or drought and no bug, even a tiny one, has been seen. I sure can recommand this plant.

Positive mystic On Aug 3, 2002, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

The green cones make this an interesting plant combined with the height it sure stands out in the flower bed. It's long blooming season makes it a nice addition to the my garden.It starts blooming mid to late summer and will bloom into early Autumn.

Vincent, Alabama
Hatboro, Pennsylvania
North Augusta, South Carolina
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Belton, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Sandy Hook, Virginia