Hybrid Tea Rose 'Midas Touch'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Midas Touch
Additional cultivar information:(PP08706, aka JACtou)
Hybridized by Christensen

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to rust

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Spokane, Washington

Casco, Wisconsin

Ellsworth, Wisconsin

On May 22, 2014, ValenTreaSures from Colville, WA wrote:

Simply voracious yellow rose. By far the tallest and most vigorous of the roses I recently ordered. It seems to explode into life on thorny branches that soar upwards! Within only a few weeks I knew I should have used the larger planter for it. Was second only to the Disneyland rose in forming actual buds. Great choice almost impossible to ruin, midas touch instant gold. Positive experience... despite any references (':

On Dec 21, 2010, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

Midas Touch is the hardiest yellow hybrid tea I have found so far. I have had one through three years, and it gets through our ugly NE Wisconsin (Zone 5) winters if boxed up and buried in ground. Its yellow color is bright and attractive, and it has a strong fragrance.

As a hybrid tea it does have some faults: the flower stems tend to be on the short side, the blooms often have less than perfect form, the blooms open too quickly and are not long lasting, and the rebloom is not fast.

But it is one of the few yellow hybrid teas I have been able to grow in my climate, so it gets a thumbs up.

On Jun 9, 2010, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I got this Fortunina hybrid tea a few weeks ago (from Home Depot of all places) and it is doing very well! We have had torrential downpours every day for the last week and not a SIGN of black spot. I am talking at least 4 inches EVERY time it rains and some days it rained a few times a day... do the math! Well, it helps that I sprayed it with disease protection... the only problem is some of the leaves had a yellowing effect (due to all the rain). I added some fertilizer so hopefully that'll help but I gotta say, its doing great with all the abuse it's had to put up with! S. Florida Summers are brutal on roses!!

Well, it's blooming like CRAZY at the moment and it's still a juvenile. I can't wait till it fully bushes out and has nice BIG blooms on it! It's got a great scent... read more

On Apr 28, 2005, Moonglow from Corte Madera, CA wrote:

I, too, found this at Costco (bareroot). Easy to grow here in my zone. Beautiful blooms and lush foliage.

On Oct 20, 2004, trifunov from Brandon, MS (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a wonderful rose, in it's first year it has bloomed repeatedly, each time almost covered in bright blooms. It has a great fragrance, too.

On Jun 16, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred and introduced in United States. Moderately strong, Musk fragrance.

Seed: Brandy
Pollen: Friesenshne

On May 20, 2004, jkpita from Northbrook, IL wrote:

Zone 5 ( Chicago) - I planted this in 2002; it has survived 2 Chicago winters with no protection; blooms repeatedly with beautiful deep yellow blooms; great fragrance. I just bought this in tree form from Costco this year ( 2004) and so far they are leafing out and growing great. I am a novice gardener and find this to be a very easy-to-care-for rose.