Fosteriana Tulip
Tulipa 'Purissima'

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tulipa (TOO-li-pa) (Info)
Cultivar: Purissima
Additional cultivar information:(aka White Emperor)

Division:

Division 13 - Fosteriana

Flowers are good for cutting

Braselton, Georgia

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Lafayette, Tennessee

Salt Lake City, Utah

On Apr 10, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Flowers open a soft yellow and fade to white over a few days.

Like other fosterianas, this blooms exceptionally early, with the daffodils. Unlike most tulips, it can naturalize and perennialize here on the east coast of N. America, despite our summer rainfall. (Tulips require a dry summer rest, and here we get too much summer rain for most tulips to prosper long-term. Summer irrigation can make tulips rot.)

All tulips are prime fodder for deer, voles, and other critters.

On Apr 4, 2009, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

In autumn 2006 I've planted this pretty tulips in my new garden. Until now (spring 2009) they've flowered every spring. From the tulips in my garden they are the first to flower. These relatively big flowering tulips always make a great show. On days with less sun or in the evening they light up like candles. They've multiplied every year. From a original clump of 9 bulbs I've counted this spring 21 strong tulips close to 70 cm in height. Some stems have split into two stems and each carrying these huge flowers. I do not feed them so I guess they like it in my garden.

On Mar 22, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is my first year growing this- or any other- tulip. I've always been told tulips act like annuals in the southern heat, so I've never grown them; I have always longed to, though. Last year I found (thru researching) some tulips that are known to return in my clime. Thanks to Brent & Beckys, I have several tulips that I am now enjoying. I will (hopefully) come back here next year and change my rating to a pos. as this baby has returned for me.

At first I wasn't sure that I actually had this tulip. I did not know that this tulip changes color. It is a white tulip but started out soft yellow. It has since aged to white after a few days. It still retains a very dark yellow center- very pretty tulip. I must say that I have yet to detect any of its reputed fragrance.

On Apr 23, 2004, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I liked the big blooms on this tulip and it blended in well with my other tulips. But they do not stand up well to the wind. The least little breeze and the petals drop.