PlantFiles: Floribunda Rose
Rosa 'Nearly Wild'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Nearly Wild
Hybridized by Brownell; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1941

Class:
Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Medium pink (mp)

Other Details:
Resistant to rust
Stems are very thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by jamieos

By bamagirl35973
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by bamagirl35973

Positive coriaceous On Aug 22, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is still an excellent rose for the no-spray garden, even here on the east coast (Boston Z6a). It's very floriferous, and one flush follows quickly on another.

It can get blackspot but it doesn't often defoliate, and it recovers quickly without fungicide.

Bred by the Brownells in Providence, RI.

Positive Librarykat On May 6, 2014, Librarykat from Enid, OK wrote:

The absolute best rose I've ever grown. This rose takes on the tough schizophrenic climate of Oklahoma with aplomb and booms and blooms and blooms. She blooms in the shade, in the sun, in the rain, through the heat of summer and the winds of spring. I've tried the Knockout roses and place the Nearly Wild far above them in reliability and floriferous ability. In Oklahoma, the wind carries away the fragrance, so I don't vouch for that, but the petals hold on tight!

Positive cntryrocks On May 1, 2012, cntryrocks from Princeton, KS wrote:

Easy, carefree rose with lots of thorns! Mine is pretty much maintenance free at the back of a mixed border.

Positive Daylahmnas On Sep 2, 2009, Daylahmnas from Chester, MA (Zone 3b) wrote:

I was given this rose by a local plant trader whom hates roses...imagine that. This season on the north side of the house where I plant things to find out if they can take the winter here with zone 3 winds and zone 4b winter temperatures this rose has not stopped blooming. We had two months of rain everyday, some days absolute flooding and torrential downpours and no black spot, disease or insects. It is planted in sandy fill with wood chip mulch. I planted the rose as a 1 ft. cubed plant with very little leaves in mid-august of last year (08), didn't tend to it at all except one gallon of water when planted and this year it is 3 ft cubed in mid august (09) and it hasn't stopped blooming. Did I mention that it hasnt stopped blooming? I have always been hooked on roses but this one is the best I have ever seen. Is it in the everblooming category? I have no idea but it hasnt stopped blooming. Oh, I mentioned that. I would recommend it to anyone but especially the beginning gardeners who need a little instant gratification when starting out. This is the first time I have bothered to write a comment about any plant at all but I am so impressed that I had to leave a comment. Get it in anyway you can for your rose bed. Unless of course you dont like roses. Imagine that!

Positive northgrass On Jun 29, 2008, northgrass from West Chazy, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

This floribunda is very hardy, growing here in zone 5a. It blooms all season. It is growing on the East side on the house, receiving afternoon shade. A favorite of mine.

Positive desertwillow On Oct 6, 2007, desertwillow from Tooele, UT wrote:

Rosa "Nearly Wild" Pink Floribunda is one of the most beatiful shrub size rose bushes there is to plant especially in places like Stansbury Park Utah where the ground is alkaline and dry in spite of supplementing the soil. My Nearly Wild has survived 3 years of hot, hot summers on the north east section of the back yard and cold, cold winters that dive down sometimes into -0 temperatures. This is zone 6? The beautiful pink single petal blooms are present in the spring/summer/ and fall. The plant has grown 2 feet high and 2 feet wide with light green healthy leaves. This plant is ideal for my small circle of shrub height roses that give color to my back yard around the base of a small purple robe locust.

Positive vossner On May 29, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

First rose I ever planted, the reason became a rose nut. I do get blackspot during extremely rainy weather, but they recover quickly. For some reason I find the thorns on Nearly Wild particularly hurtful.

UPDATE May 2014: Seven years later all shrubs except for one are doing fantastic. Lost one to drought of 2011. Still think thorns are particularly wicked and I dread yearly pruning time. If I had to redo things, I would plant it in an out of the way place where I wouldn't worry about regular pruning, but then again, nobody would see this pretty so I don't know if I'd change anything after all.

Positive fly_girl On Nov 13, 2006, fly_girl from The Woodlands, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant blooms with very little fertilization and has never had black spot. It's one of my favorite shrub roses.

Positive dlnevins On Jul 23, 2006, dlnevins from Omaha, NE wrote:

Very floriferous. It's prone to blackspot, but is vigorous enough in growth despite that. A nice, low-maintenance landscape rose.

Positive MAVANO On May 6, 2006, MAVANO from Harrison, MI wrote:

"Nearly Wild" has given me thumbs up performance in my Zone 4, sandy soil garden. Apparently all it needs is the weekly deep watering fit gets from rom the drip system and regular feeding up until August. Other than that, it seems to take care of itself. I don't know if it will ever get full sized, but at 2' x 2', I'm very happy with its looks.

Neutral Paulwhwest On Jun 22, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in the United States. Pink flowers are produced in abundance each with a white eye.

Parentage: