PlantFiles: Iochroma
Iochroma cyanea 'Royal Blue'

Genus: Iochroma (eye-oh-KROH-muh) (Info)
Species: cyanea (sy-AN-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Royal Blue

Thumbnail #6 of Iochroma cyanea by dottnmd

By gordo
Thumbnail #7 of Iochroma cyanea by gordo

Neutral MTVineman On Apr 16, 2012, MTVineman from Helena, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

Was reading the previous post about the hummers not responding to the Iochroma growing in the Stockton, CA area. I don't know if this helps or is the reason but.....I grow a lot of strange tropicals and other flowers and plants that are not native here in Montana where I live. What I've noticed by watching the hummers closely is that if they don't recognize a plant right away, they'll usually buzz right on by. I think they have to get used to odd plants first before they'll dare to explore it and perhaps take a drink. I know it sounds weird but I really think it's the case in some instances. Now that I have had Brugs and Tecoma's and a few other tropicals and sub tropicals outside for the spring and summer for a few years, my hummers are getting curious and are actually beginning to drink from a few of them. They especially like my Manettia lutea vine which they'd always ignored before. Just a thought........

Positive PudgyMudpies On Jan 5, 2008, PudgyMudpies from Stockton, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I really like this plant. I find it does best in full sun. Have not seen any of the numerous hummingbirds in my area show an interest in the iochroma, which surprised me as I had read somewhere that they would be interested. This plant is really a tall, lanky shrub that needs some support to look nice. I have not attempted to prune it small to see if it would get bushy because I did not want to lose blooms. It freezes back every winter and sprouts from the roots in the Spring. I have grown these in pots and had poor success. They thrive in ground and do not bloom in partial shade for me. I think the reason they don't like to be in pots is because they develop a huge root system that fills the pot quickly and then needs constant water to sustain it. In the ground, the normal sprinkler waterings are enough. I have had a problem with aphid, scale & mealy bugs, basically, if the pests like my Brugmansia plants, they like these. Has responded well to systemic fertilizer that I use for roses, and also has no problems with soapy water or rubbing alcohol that I use for spraying pests.

Carlsbad, California