Pink Bower Vine, Jasmine 'Rosea'

Pandorea jasminoides

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pandorea (pan-DOH-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: Rosea

Winter Haven, Florida

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

On Sep 4, 2016, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This semitropical species is a large, fast-growing climber that can reach 40' tall if planted in the ground in a frost-free climate. It performs much better with its roots in the ground than it will in pots. Stems will self-layer where they touch the ground.

This is commonly called "bower vine", but it isn't called "jasmine". I don't find it fragrant, and I suspect the references to its fragrance that I find in online descriptions come from the Latin 'jasminoides' and not from anyone's nasal experience.

This Australian native plant is xeric. It needs regular moisture till well established, but then it is very tolerant of drought. Taprooted. Suitable for xeriscaping. Don't over-water, especially in winter. Tolerates hard pruning in early spring.

On Nov 23, 2008, smackinsam from Norman, OK wrote:

I've had the pink bower vine for 2 summers & 1 winter in a pot in central Oklahoma. Last summer it got 1/2 day sun with afternoon shade and it bloomed very well. It wintered in a small, crowded greenhouse. This summer (2008), it was moved to a southern, full-sun exposure and only bloomed a little. Interestingly, this fall, it seemed to LOVE the really cooler weather. The cooler it got, the more happy it seemed. It started growing aggressively and putting on lots of blooms! It therefore appears the bower vine does NOT like full sun where the summer temperatures are hot, hot, hot! Next summer I'll put it back where it gets afternoon shade.

Just before the 1st hard freeze, it went back to the greenhouse where it apparently is suffering from shock and dropping leaves. Th... read more

On Feb 2, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

My Pink Bower Vine although is classified as a tender perienial, here in my zone 7, it survived winter outdoor on a south-facing wall. I've kept this type of vine out door in pot (north wall) without success. Last year this beautiful vine mingled among my other vines; clemantis, roses, hycinch beans beautifully on my front yard.