Bower Vine, Jasmine 'Alba'

Pandorea jasminoides

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pandorea (pan-DOH-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: Alba

Grow outdoors year-round

By simple layering

Clayton, California

Sacramento, California

On Sep 4, 2016, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This semitropical species is a large, fast-growing climber that can reach 40' tall if planted in the ground in a frost-free climate. It performs much better with its roots in the ground than it will in pots. Stems will self-layer where they touch the ground.

This is commonly called "bower vine", but it isn't called "jasmine". I don't find it fragrant, and I suspect the references to its fragrance that I find in online descriptions come from the Latin 'jasminoides' and not from anyone's nasal experience.

This Australian native plant is xeric. It needs regular moisture till well established, but then it is very tolerant of drought. Taprooted. Suitable for xeriscaping. Don't over-water, especially in winter. Tolerates hard pruning in early spring.

On Aug 9, 2006, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have this vine interplanted with several other vines so I have not noticed any sparseness in its coverage. The beautiful white flowers which come dependably every year are a treat! I've not had any problem with yellowing of leaves or nutrient deficiencies. My plant grows in a mostly shaded location with no pampering. It comes through winters with temperatures as low as 28 F with no problems.

Jeremy

On Aug 2, 2004, headred from San Diego, CA wrote:

I noticed on someone else's response that this vine doesn't have a thick coverage. I'd felt mine was exptradonary since it doesn't....but am still worried that it has yellow leaves a lot. I'm using Miracle Grow on it.....and well as a general granulated fertilizer periodically. When the leaves turn yellow I use an Iron additive in a watering can-full. Water weekly..but it is in clay soil. Should I plant another vine with it for coverage? Or, perhaps, two of the same?
I don't feel it's a great sucess....but maybe that's how they are!!!