Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Variegated Bower Vine, Jasmine 'Charisma'

Pandorea jasminoides

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pandorea (pan-DOH-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: Charisma

Arlington, Georgia

Humble, Texas

Missouri City, Texas

On Sep 4, 2016, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This semitropical species is a large, fast-growing climber that can reach 40' tall if planted in the ground in a frost-free climate. It performs much better with its roots in the ground than it will in pots. Stems will self-layer where they touch the ground.

This is commonly called "bower vine", but it isn't called "jasmine". I don't find it fragrant, and I suspect the references to its fragrance that I find in online descriptions come from the Latin 'jasminoides' and not from anyone's nasal experience.

This Australian native plant is xeric. It needs regular moisture till well established, but then it is very tolerant of drought. Taprooted. Suitable for xeriscaping. Don't over-water, especially in winter. Tolerates hard pruning in early spring.

On Apr 18, 2014, Jeffuryca from Costa Mesa, CA wrote:

I had never seen this before I moved into a room in a house that had one growing in Orange County, CA, right by the beach. Growing is a relative term as it looked like a stick wrapped around a trellis. No one had bothered to even look at the thing for God knows how long. I watered it and within two months it sprang to life, grew variegated leaves and clusters of trumpet shaped multicolored flowers. Very cool little vine. I now am waiting for the seed pods to harden so I can try and grow more. The pods contain hundreds of seeds each and make for easy transfer, like their own little packaging. All in all, I love this thing.

On Oct 18, 2009, bartc from San Mateo, CA wrote:

This is a beautiful and well behaved vine. Gorgeous variegation that holds on evergreen tendril vines. Lovely flowers most of mild season here in Foster City CA, around Sunset zone 16. Climbs on trellis/arbor by itself with minimal training for design. So far, from a 1' tall small container it has climbed at least 8', and I'm hoping for 10-12' or more to cover a complete gateway trellis. Everyone who sees it is impressed!

Now if I can only find a yellow-orange companion of similar nature...

On May 24, 2008, GranvilleSouth from (Zone 10a) wrote:

Australian native climber. Likes sun but can handle partial shade. Hardy in temperate to tropical, frost sensitive but not too fussy about soil.