Doum Palm, Ilala Palm

Hyphaene coriacea

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hyphaene (hy-FEN-ay-ee) (Info)
Species: coriacea (kor-ee-uh-KEE-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Hyphaene natalensis
Synonym:Hyphaene crinita
Synonym:Hyphaene shatan

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Sahuarita, Arizona

Reseda, California

Thousand Oaks, California

Westminster, California

Key West, Florida

Miami Beach, Florida

Venice, Florida

On Aug 10, 2015, AZJeff from Sahuarita, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this palm.! I got curious about this family or genus of palms some time ago because I heard it branches when fully mature and especially since some of these can take high heat like we have in the deserts of southern Arizona.

I saw someone selling seeds on e-bay and took a chance at it to order them and sow the seeds. First of all, the seeds are huge.! Well, they looked that way at first because they are covered by the dried up fruit. I thought how would I get them to sprout unless I soak them in water. So I had an idea to put hot water on them almost to the boiling point and let them soak several hours. After that, I scraped off the fruit as much as I can. I still wondered how the seeds could sprout as they are covered with a very hard hull. I thought maybe drilling ... read more

On Dec 14, 2005, cfkingfish from Venice, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Synonymous with H. natalensis now, this palm seems to be the most widely cultivated in the genus. This palm is unique in that it branches above ground level. It is cold hardy into the lower-mid 20s, making it popular throughout Central and South Florida. It is related to both the Bismarckia and Latania genera.

On Apr 22, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of my favorite species for So Cal. It is common (relatively, for palm nuts), is pretty hardy to frost (once it's been in the ground for 4-6 years), wind, drought and has a lot of leeway in soil quality. Seedlings will often be defoliated by a frost, but often will grow back. It is a branching palm, though usually only branching at or near ground level. It has large, costapalmate, stiff whitish grey-green leaves. The petioles are black with white, ochre, orange, some green and rust... can be a very colorful palm. It is a bit slow for commercial landscaping, and needs very deep pots to be germinated and grown up in (deep roots). The roots are very deep in the wild, surviving in areas of African and Madagascar that get little rainful- survives on ground water.