PlantFiles: Miniature Rose
Rosa 'Sweet Chariot'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sweet Chariot
Additional cultivar information: (aka Insolite, MORchari)
Registered or introduced: 1984

Class:
Miniature

Mauve and mauve blend (mb)

Bloom Shape:
Double

Flower Fragrance:
Very Fragrant

Habit:
Bush
Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Patented

Thumbnail #5 of Rosa  by vossner

By vossner
Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by vossner

Positive suguy On Nov 29, 2011, suguy from Simi Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have grown Sweet Chariot for several years.
It wasn't doing very well in the ground so I potted it up and grew it on the patio for the past year.
It has flourished there and increased in size threefold.
It is in full bloom now (November 29th).

This rose needs a bit of protection and actually does better in partial shade.

The bloom color is at its most intense in the Fall.

Positive vossner On Apr 19, 2011, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I originally had this plant in a hanging basket and while it bloomed well, I started noticing decline. I never could get the watering/fertilizing quite right. So, I transplanted it inground and it has done much, much better. The fragrance is incredible! I suspect one needs on of the large hanging baskets to accomodate root system properly. Those 14" baskets simply won't do. As a ground plant, it has stayed at 2' wide x 1 ft tall.

Neutral heidi2005 On Jul 20, 2006, heidi2005 from Tucson, AZ (Zone 10b) wrote:

I purchased this plant in late fall 2006 and planted it in the 12" diameter 7.5 " deep hanging basket shown in my photo on this webpage. I used the soil mix recommended by the vendor (1/3 miracle gro soil, 1/3 perlite and 1/3 peat moss) and adopted a once/7 days spray program using Orthonex. Until June, my Sweet Chariot grew and bloomed well. Then it started to show the yellow leaves that you can see in the center of the plant. The yellowing accelerated until most of the plant's leaves were yellow, or stippled with white. I originally thought that I was overwatering but a sharp reduction in watering (from every 2 days to once or at most twice a week) did not revive the plant. I supplemented my spray program by washing it thoroughly several different times with a Neem oil/dish soap mixture and Rose Pharma to combat any possible fungus or insect infestation, but the plant has continued to deteriorate. As of late July, my sweet Chariot is almost leafless and looks unlikely to recover. However, I would still give sweet Chariot a neutral to slightly positive rating and cautiously recommend it to other DGers on the grounds that while it was healthy it was a lovely, fragrant, prolifically blooming rose and it seems likely to me that I may have inadvertently damaged the plant due to my inexperience with roses. This Sweet Chariot, a Sequoia Gold mini and a Laura Ford climber were all bought at the same time last year and are the first roses I have ever grown. Happily, the Sequoia Gold and climber are doing fine, but one cannot expect beginner's luck to have a 100% return :).

Neutral Paulwhwest On May 15, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in the United States. Won the Best Novice award from York Rose & Garden Society in 1999, and the Miniature (One Spray) award six times from 1998-2001.

Parentage: