PlantFiles: Rose
Rosa 'Tropicana'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Tropicana
Additional cultivar information: (PP1696, aka Super Star, TANorstar)
Hybridized by Tantau; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1960

Flower Fragrance:
Very Fragrant

Habit:
Bush
Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Other Details:
Resistant to rust
Susceptible to black spot
Susceptible to mildew
Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by TBGDN

By TBGDN
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by TBGDN

Positive midgey On May 29, 2013, midgey from Denver, CO wrote:

tropicana is a really gorgeous rose. some years my bloom grandiflora style other single bud. all in all an extremely hardy , somewhat uncontrolled in growth if not pruned back to 5 canes. once growing, it is really the most beautiful orange rose. and the fragrance is super potent. one stem in a room and in minutes it smells as though you have two dozen or so. very nice rose.

Negative JAMIESMITH On Feb 17, 2013, JAMIESMITH from Decatur, MS (Zone 7b) wrote:

A pathetic, weak runt. This may be the first rose bush I give up on.

Positive nupeyji On Jun 23, 2012, nupeyji from Cedar Hills, OR wrote:

I bought this rose as a replacement for another rose - Mr. Lincoln. Mr. Lincoln, planted as bare root rose, was covered with fungus and I did not want other roses to get contaminated, as the fungus did not respond to various application of vinegar/baking soda/ mustard oil treatments. This plant was bought from a big box store, but has done beautifully so far. Has beautiful fragarance, is hot organge/vermillion, and bears single roses on long canes. I would like to see how it does in our Pacific NW climate and next year.

Positive MARIALYNCH33 On Feb 27, 2012, MARIALYNCH33 from Las Vegas, NV wrote:

I PLANTED THE ROSE BUSH IN THE 1ST WEEK OF FEB AND THE ROSES ARE IN FULL BLOOM ALREADY!!

Positive roseaholic On Jun 12, 2011, roseaholic from Williford, AR wrote:

Can't say enough GOOD THINGS about this rose!!! I am totally in love!!!!!!! One of the most wonderfully smelling in my yard! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Negative parklnursery On Feb 17, 2011, parklnursery from Beaverdam, VA wrote:

'Tropicana' is a beautiful rose, however my two large plants did not survive the 103F summer heat in 2010, while the 'Impatient' rose thrived all summer with the same conditions in full sun and all grew in black plastic containers. Also the large flowers of 'Tropicana' become top heavy especially after a rain. I can only give 'Tropicana' 5 points out of a possible 10 when grown in full sun in the Richmond, Virginia area.

Negative tgwWhale On Jan 1, 2011, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

I tried this rose once. Mine grew very poorly, with a scraggly growth habit and very few blooms. Mine did have attractive blooms -- very colorful, almost blaze orange. But there were very few of them. I culled this one after a year or two. Maybe it wants a warmer climate than I can give it in NE Wisconsin (zone 5).

Positive HolyChickin On Jun 1, 2010, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I bought this rose from a major retailer that did not know how to care for hybrid teas. Naturally it was in sad, SAD shape. It was infested with aphids, had a wicked case of blackspot, hadn't been pruned in forever. I bought it for half price and brought it home to nurse back to health. Now, I am by no means a rose guru but, I figured, why not give it a try? The worse that can happen is it'll die... it's on it's way to dying anyway. I was sad to see it in the shape it was in. So I gave it a few treatments, pruned it WAY back and it is bouncing back beautfully. It is doing so well, I planted it in a pretty 5 gallon pot and moved it in with my other Hybrid Teas. It's well on it's way to becoming one of my favorites! I can't wait till it blooms for the first time, because it will probably be COVERED with flowers!

Now, I bought ANOTHER hybrid tea at the same time (Peace) in the same exact shape. That one isn't doing so hot... I did everything to the Peace as I did to the Tropicana and the Peace doesn't have ANY new growth and looks like it's starting to turn yellow. I don't think it is going to make it at all... so it goes to show you how hardy the Tropicana really is!

Unfortunately, the Tropicana is very succeptible to black spot (I live in S. Florida... we have LOTS of humidity year round and rain of every type you can imagine) but, with a little extra special attention, it thrives. With regular disease control treatments, I haven't seen blackspot since I brought it home... and it's been raining BUCKETS! If this bush can bouce back the way it did with me (especially with all of the torrential downpurs we have been having over the last few weeks)... I would say it's a pretty hardy rose.

So even though this hybrid tea gets blackspot (as is pretty much every rose in my area); I still give it a positive because ya just can't KILL it! And trust me, the place I bought it from REALLY tried!!

UPDATE: The bush bounced back and bloomed beautifully... it's more of a peach color than orange.

Unfortunately, I got INFESTED with spidermites right after it bloomed. I am in Gardeners HADES!! Tried everything under the sun to get rid of these things: Sraying the leaves UPSIDE DOWN with a blast of water, neem, insecticidal soaps, Bayer Rose & Flower Insect Killer, Malation, I even went out and sprayed the leaves down with rubbing alcohol.. nothing worked! Finally a combination of Avid Miticide and Spectricide Immunox Plus sent the little vamps to the great garden in the sky. My roses are trying to bounce back but I lost quite a few of them n the battle... this is one that is struggling to come back. :(

Positive muadib On Aug 11, 2009, muadib from Decatur, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

Yes, she gets blackspot. However, I'm in Central Illinois, which is known for brutally humid summers. Temps are in the 90's during the day, with blazing sunshine. Even if temps fall to the upper 70's or lower 80's at night, the humidity condenses near the ground and almost every morning is a soupy nightmare. Every rose I have contracted blackspot at least 3 times this growing season, no matter what its disease-resistance rating was from the American Rose Society . I spray, the blackspot goes away. It rains for a week straight & comes back again. I spray again & I'm happy for another week. I'm obviously not going the organic route, but I'm still very proud of our garden and I LOVE the color of this rose.

More info: Bred by Mathias Tantau, 1960 introduction, ARS Rating of 7.6. ARS says the blooms are 5 inches wide, but mine average about 4 inches across.

Positive himmelstanzer On Jun 4, 2009, himmelstanzer from Blue Island, IL wrote:

Most people would be suprised to know that Hybrid Tea roses grow really well in the island of Guam. Tropicana was one of many favorites from my childhood. My mother planted 2 bushes of them in the yard. Amazingly, the constant heat of Guam's sun only enhanced the color, scent intensity, and growth habits. Though the climbing version exists, the bush variety had been known to grow to a riduculous 12 feet when given a balance of water, fertilizer, and constant sun. If anything, Tropicana should be THE hybrid tea rose of Guam among other varieties grown on the island.

Positive kpointer101 On May 16, 2009, kpointer101 from Anniston, AL wrote:

I give this a positive rating even though it is so prone to blackspot. I use Bayers 3 in 1 rose treatment and it eliminates blackspot within days, not to mention no Japanese Beetles. The color is amazing, and i tend to get about twenty blooms at a time.

Neutral Joan On Apr 11, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 1696 has expired
Positive dancingbear27 On Jun 11, 2008, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

The color of this rose is just gorgeous. It is a cross between hot pink and bright orange. It is a show stopper. The only downfall is that it does fall prey to blackspot but it is hardy and keeps coming back.

Positive cinalbion On Jan 9, 2008, cinalbion from Albion, IA wrote:

Great rose. Wonderful fragrance. Mine is planted on the south side of a building and seem to do good.
Do have to hard prune most springs, but she come right back.

Positive vossner On May 2, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I typically shy away from HTs because they're not as disease resistant as OGRs; however, Tropicana has been around forever and is quite tough. Very beautiful rose.

2/28/12: I can't believe my Tropicanas are in their 5th season. I do prune it every year and it has repaid me by getting fuller and fuller. Great rose.

Neutral Redkarnelian On Nov 7, 2006, Redkarnelian from Newmarket, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

Bred by Tantau; Introduced 1963.

Neutral MsJacki On Jun 17, 2006, MsJacki from Munford, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

I almost hate to give this beautiful rose a neutral rating, but despite its beautiful color and fragrance it has unfortunately fallen prey to blackspot every year.

This rose is in a container and I have carried it to three different houses each time I have moved. Each and every summer it is the first one to break out with blackspot.

Positive TBGDN On Jun 8, 2006, TBGDN from Macy, IN wrote:

I have grown this rose for at least 21 years, and the original plant still thrives and blooms beautifully to this day. It is most likely the oldest rose I own. In addition I have easily rooted hardwood cuttings from it, and have added three additional plants from the cuttings. It is second in fragrance only to Climbing Iceberg with a heavenly spicy/fruity aroma which is very heady. It is to say the least very hardy for a tea rose, because mine grow on their own roots- and not grafts. These always come through severe winters much better than the grafted teas. The only requirement is keeping dead wood pruned and an early application of a good rose fertilizer.

Neutral ColoradoSun On Mar 18, 2006, ColoradoSun from Clifton, CO wrote:

I planted the Tropicana in our front yard last spring and it never took off. It was in full sun all day and temperatures were over a hundred for several weeks in July, I think it was just too much for it. I am transplanting it to the backyard in a little more shade and hoping that it likes that better.

Positive cclou On May 17, 2004, cclou from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have two Tropicana roses. Continually blooming. Always have cut flowers in the house. I live in Corpus Christi, Texas.

Neutral Paulwhwest On May 14, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in Germany. Won the following awards:
ARS National Certificate in 1967
Best Hybrid Tea (CRS) from Huronia Rose Society in 1999
King of Show from the Yankee District of the ARS in 1999
Queen of Show from Warren Rose Society in 1999
Princess of Show (ARS) from Columbiana Rose Society in 1999, and Maine Rose Society in 2000
Court of Show Honor from Pikes Peak Rose Society, and Fox River Valley Rose Society in 2000

Parentage: