Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Tropicana'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Tropicana
Additional cultivar information:(aka TANorstar, Super Star', Tanor Star, PP1696)
Hybridized by Tantau

Flower Fragrance:

Very Fragrant

Habit:

Bush

Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Patent expired

Other Details:

Resistant to rust

Susceptible to black spot

Susceptible to mildew

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Honeoye Falls, New York

Graham, North Carolina

Felicity, Ohio

Oakland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon (2 reports)

Lansdale, Pennsylvania

Manassas, Virginia

Spokane, Washington

Twin Lakes, Wisconsin

On Oct 11, 2014, StellaElla from Graham, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I bought a healthy "Tropicana" bush on sale mid-season to replace a bare-root rose that bloomed once then died. As many others have noted, my bush also got some serious black spot and the aphids tore it up, but once those were under control the rose decided to take it's sweet ol' time growing some healthy roots and canes.

It's the last flush of blooms of the season and boy, did the 'Tropicana' save itself for the finale! The rose bush is robust and in good condition to survive the winter (which are mild here in Piedmont NC) and the blooms are SPECTACULAR. I have to say one of my favorite rose blooms I've ever seen. SO worth the time and effort!! Yellowy, peachy and pink, large, scent is lovely, and so so pretty. Give this one a try, especially if it's on sale!

On Aug 9, 2014, Janice0001 from Portland, OR wrote:

I was a teenager when this rose won the All America Rose Selection in 1963, and I fell in love with it. I saved my allowance and bought the rose for my budding back-yard garden. Forty years later, after being twice transplanted, my beloved Tropicana finally bit the dust. It simply did not do well at my new home, which did not really have a full-sun location. I regret not having taken a cutting from it. Yes, it is susceptible to disease, but its beauty is worth the extra work required to maintain it. No other rose has garnered as much admiration as did the Tropicana. There are so many beautiful roses available that are more disease resistant, but I cannot resist getting another Tropicana.

On May 29, 2013, midgey from Denver, CO wrote:

tropicana is a really gorgeous rose. some years my bloom grandiflora style other single bud. all in all an extremely hardy , somewhat uncontrolled in growth if not pruned back to 5 canes. once growing, it is really the most beautiful orange rose. and the fragrance is super potent. one stem in a room and in minutes it smells as though you have two dozen or so. very nice rose.

On Feb 17, 2013, JAMIESMITH from Decatur, MS (Zone 7b) wrote:

A pathetic, weak runt. This may be the first rose bush I give up on.

On Jun 23, 2012, nupeyji from Cedar Hills, OR wrote:

I bought this rose as a replacement for another rose - Mr. Lincoln. Mr. Lincoln, planted as bare root rose, was covered with fungus and I did not want other roses to get contaminated, as the fungus did not respond to various application of vinegar/baking soda/ mustard oil treatments. This plant was bought from a big box store, but has done beautifully so far. Has beautiful fragarance, is hot organge/vermillion, and bears single roses on long canes. I would like to see how it does in our Pacific NW climate and next year.

On Feb 27, 2012, MARIALYNCH33 from Las Vegas, NV wrote:

I PLANTED THE ROSE BUSH IN THE 1ST WEEK OF FEB AND THE ROSES ARE IN FULL BLOOM ALREADY!!

On Jun 12, 2011, roseaholic from Williford, AR wrote:

Can't say enough GOOD THINGS about this rose!!! I am totally in love!!!!!!! One of the most wonderfully smelling in my yard! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!!!

On Feb 17, 2011, parklnursery from Beaverdam, VA wrote:

'Tropicana' is a beautiful rose, however my two large plants did not survive the 103F summer heat in 2010, while the 'Impatient' rose thrived all summer with the same conditions in full sun and all grew in black plastic containers. Also the large flowers of 'Tropicana' become top heavy especially after a rain. I can only give 'Tropicana' 5 points out of a possible 10 when grown in full sun in the Richmond, Virginia area.

On Jan 1, 2011, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

I tried this rose once. Mine grew very poorly, with a scraggly growth habit and very few blooms. Mine did have attractive blooms -- very colorful, almost blaze orange. But there were very few of them. I culled this one after a year or two. Maybe it wants a warmer climate than I can give it in NE Wisconsin (zone 5).

On Jun 1, 2010, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I bought this rose from a major retailer that did not know how to care for hybrid teas. Naturally it was in sad, SAD shape. It was infested with aphids, had a wicked case of blackspot, hadn't been pruned in forever. I bought it for half price and brought it home to nurse back to health. Now, I am by no means a rose guru but, I figured, why not give it a try? The worse that can happen is it'll die... it's on it's way to dying anyway. I was sad to see it in the shape it was in. So I gave it a few treatments, pruned it WAY back and it is bouncing back beautfully. It is doing so well, I planted it in a pretty 5 gallon pot and moved it in with my other Hybrid Teas. It's well on it's way to becoming one of my favorites! I can't wait till it blooms for the first time, because it will probably be ... read more

On Aug 11, 2009, muadib from Decatur, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

Yes, she gets blackspot. However, I'm in Central Illinois, which is known for brutally humid summers. Temps are in the 90's during the day, with blazing sunshine. Even if temps fall to the upper 70's or lower 80's at night, the humidity condenses near the ground and almost every morning is a soupy nightmare. Every rose I have contracted blackspot at least 3 times this growing season, no matter what its disease-resistance rating was from the American Rose Society . I spray, the blackspot goes away. It rains for a week straight & comes back again. I spray again & I'm happy for another week. I'm obviously not going the organic route, but I'm still very proud of our garden and I LOVE the color of this rose.

More info: Bred by Mathias Tantau, 1960 introduction, ARS Ratin... read more

On Jun 4, 2009, himmelstanzer from Blue Island, IL wrote:

Most people would be suprised to know that Hybrid Tea roses grow really well in the island of Guam. Tropicana was one of many favorites from my childhood. My mother planted 2 bushes of them in the yard. Amazingly, the constant heat of Guam's sun only enhanced the color, scent intensity, and growth habits. Though the climbing version exists, the bush variety had been known to grow to a riduculous 12 feet when given a balance of water, fertilizer, and constant sun. If anything, Tropicana should be THE hybrid tea rose of Guam among other varieties grown on the island.

On May 16, 2009, kpointer101 from Anniston, AL wrote:

I give this a positive rating even though it is so prone to blackspot. I use Bayers 3 in 1 rose treatment and it eliminates blackspot within days, not to mention no Japanese Beetles. The color is amazing, and i tend to get about twenty blooms at a time.

On Apr 11, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 1696 has expired

On Jun 11, 2008, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

The color of this rose is just gorgeous. It is a cross between hot pink and bright orange. It is a show stopper. The only downfall is that it does fall prey to blackspot but it is hardy and keeps coming back.

On Jan 9, 2008, cinalbion from Albion, IA wrote:

Great rose. Wonderful fragrance. Mine is planted on the south side of a building and seem to do good.
Do have to hard prune most springs, but she come right back.

On May 2, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I typically shy away from HTs because they're not as disease resistant as OGRs; however, Tropicana has been around forever and is quite tough. Very beautiful rose.

2/28/12: I can't believe my Tropicanas are in their 5th season. I do prune it every year and it has repaid me by getting fuller and fuller. Great rose.

On Nov 7, 2006, Redkarnelian from Newmarket, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

Bred by Tantau; Introduced 1963.

On Jun 17, 2006, MsJacki from Munford, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

I almost hate to give this beautiful rose a neutral rating, but despite its beautiful color and fragrance it has unfortunately fallen prey to blackspot every year.

This rose is in a container and I have carried it to three different houses each time I have moved. Each and every summer it is the first one to break out with blackspot.

On Jun 8, 2006, TBGDN from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have grown this rose for at least 21 years, and the original plant still thrives and blooms beautifully to this day. It is most likely the oldest rose I own. In addition I have easily rooted hardwood cuttings from it, and have added three additional plants from the cuttings. It is second in fragrance only to Climbing Iceberg with a heavenly spicy/fruity aroma which is very heady. It is to say the least very hardy for a tea rose, because mine grow on their own roots- and not grafts. These always come through severe winters much better than the grafted teas. The only requirement is keeping dead wood pruned and an early application of a good rose fertilizer.

On Mar 18, 2006, ColoradoSun from Clifton, CO wrote:

I planted the Tropicana in our front yard last spring and it never took off. It was in full sun all day and temperatures were over a hundred for several weeks in July, I think it was just too much for it. I am transplanting it to the backyard in a little more shade and hoping that it likes that better.

On May 17, 2004, cclou from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have two Tropicana roses. Continually blooming. Always have cut flowers in the house. I live in Corpus Christi, Texas.

On May 14, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

ARS National Certificate in 1967
Best Hybrid Tea (CRS) from Huronia Rose Society in 1999
King of Show from the Yankee District of the ARS in 1999
Queen of Show from Warren Rose Society in 1999
Princess of Show (ARS) from Columbiana Rose Society in 1999, and Maine Rose Society in 2000
Court of Show Honor from Pikes Peak Rose Society, and Fox River Valley Rose Society in 2000

Parentage: