Climber, Hybrid Kordesii Rose
Rosa 'William Baffin'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: William Baffin
Additional cultivar information:(Explorer Series Collection)
Hybridized by Svedja

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Star Prairie, Wisconsin

West Bend, Wisconsin

On Jul 13, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is arguably the hardiest repeat-flowering rose that can be grown as a climber. It can sucker aggressively to form a thorny thicket if grown own-root; better behaved if grafted on multiflora root stock. It can be grown as a shrub in Z2b. In Z4 and warmer it can reach 10' tall.

Flowers to 2.5" with 15-20 petals, opening more or less flat, in large clusters. Prolific June flush, with scattered repeat.

I think the color of 'William Baffin' is best described as "hot pink." If you prefer a softer color, 'Blushing Baffin' is a soft pink branch sport of 'William Baffin' that's the same except for the flower color.

In September 1998, the Montreal Botanical Garden (Le Jardin Botanique de Montreal) carried out a survey of its roses' resistance to bla... read more

On Mar 5, 2012, lindypuddin from stony mountain, MB (Zone 3a) wrote:

i've grown a few of the morden and ottawa explorer roses in
my zone 3a garden. this rose is in a raised planter and yet comes back year after year. it hasn't gotten huge as it does suffer from die back, but with fertilizer it does grow and flower faithfully.

On Aug 19, 2011, CCPikie from Elmhurst, IL wrote:

I bought William Baffin at a local nursery after reading through some rose catalogs and researching online. As the ad copy suggests, this is a very hardy and vigorous rose. When my other roses are being defoliated by blackspot this one doesn't have a mark on it. No mildew or rust either. Moreover, this is the most cold hardy rose I've seen. There is no winter dieback at all. I leave it tied to my fence with no protection other than mulch at the base. It's a big rose. I've had mine about three years and it's about twelve feet across. I prune away any new growth which doesn't fit flat against the fence. I wouldn't call it a rebloomer. It flowers in June and continues for about five weeks.

On Jun 28, 2011, BoPo from Milwaukee, WI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I've not known this one to be a climber as someone here posted. It grows in an upright arching habit - definitely plan on growing it like a tree, but with a support of some type at the time it's initially planted (a backdrop trellis). Blooms are hot pink, not orange.

Mine grows successfully in zone 5b with just a few suckers that I cut back each spring. I have mine growing against a fence with a wrought iron trellis support behind it. It grows large, and would be a nice specimen at the corner of someone's yard due to its overall size and arching habit.

No winter dieback for me. I do cover the crown with a mound of soil in the winter but that's it. Profuse blooms right now, end of June early July, and sporadic blooms thereafter. This one is a stunner, bu... read more

On Jan 5, 2011, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

William Baffin: the rosebush that ate New York.

This rose is a beast. It grows like a weed and suckers from the roots. It overwhelms even weeds. I had it growing next to an arbor; it was pulling the arbor over. After a few years the stems get too thick to cut with a lopper without great effort. Two years ago I pruned out about two-thirds of the bush; by the end of summer you couldn't tell I had, and it was overwhelming everything around it again. It seems 100% winter-proof, even here in NE Wisconsin where winter temperatures typically bottom out around 20 or 25 degrees below zero.

It is absolutely covered with pink blooms at the end of June. After that it reblooms regularly on new wood. Fertilizer increases the rebloom, but also its tendency to devour ... read more

On Nov 7, 2006, Redkarnelian from Newmarket, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

Developed by Agriculture Canada (Svejda); Explorer series rose.

On Jun 25, 2006, davidthomas from Hinsdale, MA (Zone 4a) wrote:

We have had great luck with this William Baffin. It's first few years we cut it back each spring, but this year we only pruned dead wood and it seems to have loved that. A wonderful pink bloom, we have few or no suckers. It is on the south side of a dark building where it does get some wind when it is from the west. We are in tough zone 4.

On Jun 17, 2006, linjasar from Upper Saint Clair, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Super hardy rose. It has suckered for me and it is surrounded by stone. Usually two to three suckers a year. It doesn't get much sun and it still blooms in late June and early July. I have not had any rebloom to date.

On Mar 3, 2005, northgrass from West Chazy, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

Very hardy with no winter die back here in zone 4b.
It covers itself completely in late June and early July with loads of dark pink blossoms. Although said to repeat, it never has for me. It looks great on a trellis. It has grown to about 8 feet in the 6 years I had it and has not suckered at all for me. I have noticed that some specimens are of lighter pink than mine.

On Oct 21, 2004, jsandco from West Bend, WI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Carefree plant. Lots of bloom, lots of dark orange hips. Grows fast, easy to propagate. Be sure to have lots of room for this plant, it gets big quick. Suckers freely. It is supposed to be a climber, but in my experience the cane are too thick and sturdy to train as a climber.

On May 14, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in Canada. Won the Classic Shrub Rose award from six different societies from 1999-2001, and the Shrub award from the Monocacy Rose Society in 2000 and from Grosse Pointe Rose Society in 1999.

Parentage: seedling of rosa kordesii