PlantFiles: Pink Flowering Almond, Dwarf Flowering Almond
Prunus glandulosa 'Rosea Plena'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Prunus (PROO-nus) (Info)
Species: glandulosa (glan-doo-LOW-suh) (Info)
Cultivar: Rosea Plena
Additional cultivar information: (aka Sinensis)

Pale Pink

By daryl
Thumbnail #6 of Prunus glandulosa by daryl

By Gabrielle
Thumbnail #7 of Prunus glandulosa by Gabrielle

Positive MaryArneson On Dec 3, 2013, MaryArneson from Minneapolis, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

We moved one of these from my husband's parents' house after they died. It has grown into a six or seven foot shrub with a similar spread, competing successfully with a nearby Amur Maple hedge. I remember my grandmother having one in her garden in the 1950's, and I loved the garish display of pink flowers every spring. We called it Rose of China, and I think that's the name it was sold under when my brother-in-law bought it for his mom. It blooms reliably in Minneapolis, seems to require no special care, and doesn't look untidy during the summer, fall, and winter. The flowering branches can be used for spring bouquets when not much else is available. You do have to strip the flowers from the lower end before putting them in water. Ordinarily I'm not a fan of pink flowers, but this one will always have a place in my garden.

Positive cyclingmom1959 On Mar 17, 2012, cyclingmom1959 from Greenville, SC wrote:

I have flowering almond bushes in South Carolina that have been growing in my yard for over 20 years. They were transplanted from Tennessee. The original bushes that these came from were in my great-grandmother's yard in the early 1950's. We've found them to be very hardy, surviving everything from ice storms to severe southern droughts with little to no care. The showy blooms in the Spring are always a welcome sight after the gloomy days of Winter.

Positive mamajack On Jan 3, 2012, mamajack from Fate, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

in 2011 texas lost over 5 billion dollars in agriculture. it was a tough year. this plant not only made it without one drop of water other than rain in a shade-for-texas spot but it was one of only a few plants in my garden that stayed green throughout the triple-digit-for-months temperatures. i love this plant.

Positive atcps On Jul 9, 2010, atcps from WOODLAWN, TN wrote:

I've been growing this shrub for more than five years in my northern Tennessee garden. It grows in partial to mostly shade and has never failed to bloom each year. I do nothing for it, no pruning, mulching or fertilizing. Last year and this year it has grown almonds on it. I don't think you can eat the almonds but I would think they'd be good for wildlife and I enjoy their ornamental value in the garden. There is a spot for these in all gardens as mine is still about only 5 feet tall by 3 feet around. Love this little shrub. No pests or diseases. Drought tolerant.

Positive wseeker5 On Nov 30, 2008, wseeker5 from Lovelock, NV wrote:

I got this plant from the mountains of NC where I was born (1936) in 1971 sent it to Wa. state where it stayed till 2002 put it in a pot and it stayed in Ca. till 2005 moved it to the high desert where it bloomed for me this year. I love this plant.

Positive Spinninggirl On May 25, 2008, Spinninggirl from Mcdonough, GA wrote:

I have three of these plants. I purchased them from Springhill Nursery. They are doing fine. I accidently broke a branch off one of them;I am going to try and root it. What I like about them most is, the spent flowers fall to the ground. They do not get brown and ugly.

Positive jishro On Apr 28, 2008, jishro from near....Warren, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

There is a "Flowering Almond" growing from below an old tree stump. I call it the mother plant because I have taken numerous hardwood cuttings and given away many of the resulting shrubs. I plan to take more cuttings this winter. The shrubs do quite well in this area and need little care except for light pruning and shaping. They seem to tolerate most soil conditions.

Negative kbaumle On May 3, 2007, kbaumle from Northwest, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

It was such a beautiful shrub when we planted it last spring, and looked gorgeous all summer, even after it stopped blooming. We mulched it heavily, but it didn't survive our winter. We didn't have a normal one, first warm, then cold, then warm, then a late extended freeze, so it was just too much for it to take, I guess. I really loved it while we had it.

Neutral estiva On Dec 12, 2005, estiva from Grafton, WI wrote:

This is a beautiful plant that I have not had success with. After planting, it seems to do nothing much, then after one growing season, it starts a downward spiral until it either dies or I remove it, and trnsplant it with my other "runts". When it is in bloom, the flowers, although tiny are beautiful, reminding me of dianthus.

Positive soozin On Jun 22, 2004, soozin from Lowell, MA wrote:

Gorgeous in bloom. Seems to need light pruning after flowering. Our well-established plant survived temperatures of -20 degrees Farenheit and wind chills below -30 this winter, so it is very hardy. Fertilize lightly in early spring to promote a good bloom. Mulch deeply, especially in cold climates.

Positive lswdixiemom On May 17, 2004, lswdixiemom from Jackson, GA wrote:

Grows in sun to partial shade. This is a very old plant. I got mine from my grandmother's homeplace, and my mother remembers it being there as a child (she is 84). This shrub needs to be preserved! I live in middle Georgia and it is one of the first things to bloom in spring, along with Forsythia.

Neutral mominem On Apr 27, 2004, mominem from Ashton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

The Pink Flowering Almond is a small shrub that flowers in early spring with a display of double, light pink flowers before the leaves appear. It grows best in light shade to full sun. It prefers a well drained light garden soil. Adaptable to most soil types and moisture levels. Blossoms are not fragrant.
Spread: 4 ft

Tecumseh, Michigan
Andover, Minnesota
Isanti, Minnesota
Kasota, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota (3 reports)
Saint Cloud, Minnesota