Spiderwort, Virginia Spiderwort, Lady's Tears
Tradescantia x andersoniana 'Blushing Bride'

Family: Commelinaceae (ko-mel-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tradescantia (trad-es-KAN-tee-uh) (Info)
Species: x andersoniana (an-der-soh-nee-AH-na) (Info)
Cultivar: Blushing Bride

Livingston, New Jersey

Artondale, Washington

Port Angeles, Washington

On Apr 4, 2013, templeanne from Abita Springs, LA wrote:

Here in Abita Springs, La. I have never seen this variety of this plant growing anywhere. I acquired it from a catalog about three summers ago and since that time, here is what I've found. When my plant first arrived it was very small as with most plants ordered by mail, and it was just as described in the booklet, however after planting it in a pot, in the dappled shade after some time to grow it all turned to the well known green wandering jew we all know so well. I was devastated of course thinking I probably didn't have it in the right area or kind of dirt or that there was some trick perhaps that I didn't know about to keep the beautiful color. I just let it grow, and grow it did. It overgrew the pot it was in and onto the ground where it quite readily rooted. I could see sporadic var... read more

On May 21, 2012, JenDion from Litchfield, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

In my zn 5B garden the color is excellent. I notice that most of the negative comments come from gardeners in hot climates, so clearly this plant likes it cool.

On May 8, 2012, MissouriMan from Warrensburg, MO wrote:

This plant gets about three hours of morning sun and shade the remainder of the day. It retains its color throughout the growing season. However, it dies back completely during the winter here in mid-Missouri and survives the -20 degree F temperatures with leaf mold for protection.

On Oct 13, 2010, turektaylor from Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

i agree w/cam2. what a bummer. as soon as it started to get hot, all the leaves turned green. as of Oct 13th, they are still a solid green.
pretty disappointed.

On Oct 11, 2010, pmcfern from Gig Harbor, WA wrote:

I have great lucky growing cuttings in water for friends. The NEW growth gets the pink tinted leaves so it's good to trim it back often! Mine grows on the deck in a pot: sun to partial shade (not bright mid-day sun) in the PNW. I bring it indoors in the winter (oh, for a heated greenhouse!)

On Jul 1, 2010, BeppyB from Nashville, AR wrote:

I planted this in late spring and it had one leaf that had some pretty pink variagation on it. That died off and all of the new leaves are healthy and pretty, but just dark green. One post states that sunshine brought out the pink and another that shade brought out the pink. I want the pink. Are we sure that it is sunshine and not soil acidity or something? Some places in my yard are a little acidic and others are not. I also planted in almost complete shade. Help!

On Sep 2, 2009, cam2 from Houston, TX wrote:

New growth in Spring is marked very prettily, but as the hot weather progresses, is reverts to green and stays that way until Spring again. It is very invasive here in Houston, but easy to pull.

On Mar 24, 2009, jooolster from Santa Barbara, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

Very invasive. Impossible to eradicate once it spreads. The leaves are pretty when young but always get brown edges.

On Sep 5, 2008, secretgrwr from Canby, OR wrote:

I cut my plants back every spring when the new growth starts and the pink and ivory markings are very bright on the new growth...I find this plant likes plenty of light for good leaf color, at least here in the PNW.

On Jun 1, 2005, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Bought this plant in early spring 2005. Had lots of mauve/white markings, very pretty. Was told that it looses variegation in the summer heat and regains it in the spring and fall. Was also told that some shade preserves markings. I chose to plant in full sun and doing great. In my experience, not as vigorous as its cousin purple wandering jew.

changing rating to negative in May 2006 as the plant never regained its pretty variegation when weather cooled down in the fall, thru winter and even this spring. It's just an ugly, ordinary green wandering jew

On Jun 16, 2004, david_brian from Ithaca, NY wrote:

This plant shows better foliar color in shade than in sun. Plants that had been planted out in sun and had turned green regained their variegation within a week or so of going back into the shade.

On Jun 12, 2004, kathy_ann from Judsonia, AR (Zone 7b) wrote:

I received this plant, it had varigated leaves when it came to me, but now 6 months down the road, it has no varigation at all. But growing like the dickens, does anybody know if it has to be a certain age or certain time of the year before it gets the varigated leaves on it.
kathy_ann