PlantFiles: Sweet Alyssum, Sweet Alison, Seaside Lobularia
Lobularia maritima 'Carpet of Snow'

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lobularia (lob-yoo-LAR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: maritima (muh-RIT-tim-muh) (Info)
Cultivar: Carpet of Snow

Synonym:Alyssum maritimum
Synonym:Alyssum odoratum
Synonym:Clypeola maritima
Synonym:Koniga maritima

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Not Applicable

Late Fall/Early Winter

This plant is resistant to deer

By simple layering

By AnneCS
Thumbnail #3 of Lobularia maritima by AnneCS

By staceysmom
Thumbnail #4 of Lobularia maritima by staceysmom

Negative nonconformist7 On Aug 17, 2011, nonconformist7 from Aurora, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I agree with the other negative posting. These are tall/long and lanky plants, as far as ground cover is concerned they only got the 'ground' part right. I planted these in an effort to remove "bare soil" as part of a code enforcement violation, and the way that these plants grow have created an even more barren look getting me yet another ticket. Not to mention the fact that the have self-seeded all throughout my front and side lawns, in my backyard, and in several potted plants.

I would almost go as far as considering them invasive and noxious. I have yet to see any blooms. I'm glad to read that they are annuals, and I hope that the cold winter kills any chance of them returning. I have several packages of seeds that I will be trashing (unless someone wants to mail me for them).

Positive SW_gardener On Dec 10, 2009, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

I sowed this alyssum this past spring from seeds I got at the dollar store for 25cents! It was the best alyssum I've ever grown! It was beautiful all summer and fall trailing from my hanging baskets and nicely self sowed around my yard for some surprise late fall blooms. I look forward to seeing it reseed next spring and I will definitely sow it again!

Positive cdjohnson On Jul 21, 2008, cdjohnson from Lexington, KY wrote:

I love this plant! Bought a box of seeds for $1 at walmart, sprinkled them in a 6" or 8" wide space on each side of my sidewalk leading to the street. Covered them with just a little dirt. They exploded! Looks like big mounds of snow all down the sidewalk! Beautiful and easy. They do great in the heat and sun.

Positive rebecca101 On Sep 26, 2007, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I liked this alyssum. Like other alyssums I grew, it bloomed sparsely and did not look so hot in the summer, but come Fall it really perked up. It bloomed profusely and had the typical strong, alyssum scent.

Negative zville123 On Jul 3, 2007, zville123 from Zanesville, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I planted this type of alyssum this year and have not been impressed. The plant looks tall & weedy and the flowers have little scent compared to other alyssums. Also, the flowers are even smaller than other alyssums I've grown. I pulled them out and composted them. I'll try a different kind (Snow Crystals) that was recommended by another gardener as the only kind they'll plant.

Sacramento, California