PlantFiles: Sitka Mountain-ash
Sorbus sitchensis

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sorbus (sor-bus) (Info)
Species: sitchensis (sit-KEN-sis) (Info)

By kennedyh

By growin
Thumbnail #6 of Sorbus sitchensis by growin

No positives

Neutral MulchingMan On Sep 22, 2012, MulchingMan from Eugene, OR wrote:

I had a young (~4-year-old) specimen up until recently. It began growing strongly at my previous residence, survived a mid-August transplant to our new house last summer, and grew an additional 10 inches this past April. Unfortunately, like other members of the rose family, Sitka mountain-ashes are susceptible to the various bacterial and fungal blights. We had a very wet spring and I didn't keep a close enough eye on this shrub. By early August, I had to remove about 70% of the stems because they had turned black. I also had to cut two large buds which were covered with black spots. After a few weeks of hemming and hawing, I finally trashed it and planted a toyon in its place (which, in retrospect, is probably a better fit for this location).

I was going to give this species another shot, but have found that they're REALLY difficult to find out here. My options were driving 200+ miles or paying $70+ for shipping from Canada.

I wish that I had a better personal experience with this shrub, but would still recommend Sitka mountain-ash to anybody in the Pacific northwest (and similar climates in California), provided that you can find one. My one suggestion: Spray preventatively with Bordeaux mixture while dormant, and with a diluted solution in the spring.

Neutral Grasmussen On Oct 29, 2006, Grasmussen from Anchorage, AK (Zone 4a) wrote:

Sorbus sitchensis, Common Names include: Mountain Ash, Sitka Mountain Ash, Western Mountain Ash, Pacific Mountain Ash. It is a deciduous shrub or small tree, usually multi-stemmed. It is often confused with Sorbus aucuparia the European Mountain Ash, because landscape nurseries, have been supplying the faster growing European Mt. Ash for several decades. Within metropolitan areas, throughout Sorbus sitchensis range, the European import is the predominant species. While the Sorbus sitchensis is the predominant species in the mountains and back country. However, the mix of species is changing in many areas. The berries, of both species, which remain an the plant into the winter are a staple winter food of Bohemian Waxwings. In Anchorage, Alaska flocks of hundreds and sometimes even thousands of Bohemian Waxwings, appearing as rapidly moving gray clouds, descend on the snow covered, berry laden, Mt. Ash and strip every berry before moving on. The birds then disperse the seeds widely. As a result, the European mountain Ash has invading into the back country near many settlements.

Anchorage, Alaska